3.0 out of 5 stars TomTom making progress, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: TomTom GO LIVE 825 EU Satellite Navigation System (Electronics)
I had read many reviews of the 82x and 100x TomToms containing a lot of complaints, so when I took the risk and bought one I was relieved to find that most problems seem to have been overcome. Updating maps, speed cameras and live traffic info work OK, and the integrated mount works well. The screen is clearer and the instructions better than my old "One".
What doesn't work? Well the MyTomTom software used for updating is pretty poor e.g. while you start downloading the initial map update (about 1hr) it immediately reports "your maps are up to date" - reading the many complaints I suspect this leads a lot of people to quit before it has downloaded. MapShare is not yet available and the memory (which is 95% full with European maps) cannot be increased because the SD card slot is not yet enabled. What is amazing is that these devices have been on sale for over a year, with both these features trumpeted in the sales blurb and no prominent mention that they don't work.
So while I am pleased with the device and it is great at the job, I have given only 3 stars because of dishonesty/incompetence on behalf of TomTom. Full marks for Amazon though.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Dec 2011 19:09:08 GMT
Do I buy a Tom Tom or Garmin? It seems that neither brand of manufacture is fully up to the job so it still leaves me feeling somewhat uncertain.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Feb 2012 09:17:03 GMT
CjW says:
feb 14th 2012

Its far too late as this has been on the market a year; but today TT finally updated the firmware and the download fixes a lot of problems, plus the SD card slot is now enabled.

Now it works fine; but should not have been sold without the promised functionaility it was sold as having.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 23:38:13 BDT
Very useful info! I'm looking for a replacement for my 6 year old go510 which is no longer supported. This one might do it if now sorted.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 11:19:38 BDT
Fizz says:
Update: I've been using this around London and SE England and like it a lot; I would not want to be without it. The traffic system is accurate better than 90% of the time and those times when I have decided to override it I have often found myself in a jam.
The SD card is not essential to my use but the story is indicative of a very poor attitude to customer care at TomTom. It was finally enabled in February 2012, but still can't be used until they update their MyTomTom software - almost 2 years after this device went on sale.
So I recommend this SatNav - it is excellent - but would be very careful about buying any new developments from TomTom in the future - wait for others to jump first!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012 12:02:04 BDT
Hi. Could you tell me if it is possible to upload third party POI's? i.e speed cams from another supplier.

My 510 still works well but the map is out of date and they will not let me buy an update or provide any support at all.

Cheers

Chris

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 20:11:58 BDT
No I don't think it is.

Posted on 17 May 2012 03:17:27 BDT
onlyme120 says:
Can you tell me if the SD card slot now works ? I have an older Go720 I'm thinking of updating with this model, but my US maps which I use all the time during trips to the US are on an SD card so it's important this slot works for me.
Also, how does the traffic alert system work, do you need to link to your phone to for it to download traffic info, or does it just do it automatically via the device.
Interestingly, I've owned TT devices for 15 years and I'd agree that their customer service is absolutely appaling, the worst in the industry by a mile. Once you buy one if their devices you're pretty much on your own !!! thank goodeness for helpful user forums, because TT support is next to useless. They'll even stop supporting, or offering helpful guidance on your device altogether after a couple of years. The sooner Samsung or Apple (developing their own sat nav

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2012 12:40:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 May 2012 12:41:36 BDT
Fizz says:
I can't tell you about the SD card as I haven't tried it.
The traffic information does not require a mobile - it has an independent comms ability. I guess this must be via the phone system and a built-in sim card. In my experience (mostly London and southern UK) it updates very effectively, but I can't comment on the US.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2012 19:20:50 BDT
G. Monaghan says:
SD card slot is enabled and will take up to 32GB capacity cards - 16GB would be more than plenty and probably 8gb would be ideal.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2012 08:55:53 BDT
Interesting I didn't know the slot had been enabled yet. Has anyone had problems with live services not connecting?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (322 customer reviews)

£199.99 £179.99