5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality with a couple of niggles, 19 July 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Xbox 360 250GB Console (Video Game)
The proven track record of 360 games and the XBox Live experience is well documented - so I'm not going to review this side of things. Quite frankly the software experience on the 360 is second to none. Its hardware history over the years has been plagued with RROD failure and noisy hardware operation.

My thoughts on the new 360 compared to the old. The only differences with the new Xbox 360 S 250GB compared to older design 360s are the standard larger 250GB HDD, wireless 'N' WIFI now built in, the whisper quiet operation and the redesign of its outer appearance (including touch sensitive buttons). It has an optical output for surround sound amplifiers too, which I don't use, and is Kinect ready such that the 360 slim will power the Kinect camera directly whereas the old 360 will need a separate AC adaptor for Kinect.

I've had my new 'slim' a few days now and the new black sleek shiny design is surely very sexy, and will not look out of place under your TV with your other AV equipment. The slim 360 is slightly smaller than the old 360 (not by much though, mainly in height when vertical by approx 1.5 inches) and it's definitely quieter. The DVD drive is still fairly noisy when playing games, but this can be solved by simply installing games to the HDD. All in all the new slim certainly has an excellent exterior build quality and finish which finally gives it a quality AV component feel. And the 250GB HDD will take some filling, even when installing games to HDD. These are the pros of the new slim.

The cons of the new slim. Well it appears that the 360 slim kicks out a lot of heat from its main exhaust grill - which heats up the surrounding exterior casing too. And I mean it's hot!! Now, this isn't necessarily a problem as perhaps this shows that the unit is adequately expelling the hot temperature from the inner casing of the 360, away from the main heatsink that sits on top of the combined main processor/graphics processor chip on the new Valhalla motherboard. The old 360 due to its design had a problem expelling the heat from the console and as such resulted in the dreaded RROD. So the heat coming out of the new 360 slim may not be a con (negative) at all. I guess time will tell. One other thing to note, the slim will also shut itself down if it overheats, allowing itself to cool down before permitting the user to switch it back on - which should help reduce the chance of permanent damage to the console.

The second slightly concerning thing for me is the noise coming from the external power brick (the PSU) - which is also smaller than the old power brick. The fans are clearly audible and in some ways negate the new quietness of the new 360 console itself. Now, I've discovered something. My power brick used to sit on the carpet behind my AV cabinet, and I could still hear it. I've moved it onto a wooden shelf at the back of the AV unit so it's now on a solid level surface and much closer to the AV unit therefore muffling the sound much better than where it was positioned previously. As a result I can barely hear the power brick at all any more - even when I put my ear over the back of my TV. I think placing it on a solid surface has helped. And I don't think my power brick is faulty because the noise comes from inbuilt fans - and even Microsoft's xbox website reports that the noise of fans from the power brick is normal, and will even increase as the power brick heats up.

In summary, the new Xbox 360 slim is a definite improvement on the old 360 in all respects. Only time will tell if it's more reliable but I suspect it should be.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Jul 2010 23:41:58 BDT
M. pullinger says:
hey man, nice review, just a couple of questions, i am thinking of updating my elite and was wandering if you had to do a license transfer for all your DLC? and was it easy? also when you say it gets hot, is that hotter than the elite or the arcade would get, i keep my xbox in a well aired cabinet, which does make it heat up quicker and occasionally freeze up on me.
cheers

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2010 08:21:46 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Nov 2011 18:53:55 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jul 2010 13:18:49 BDT
Nice well balanced review.

Posted on 31 Jul 2010 13:30:56 BDT
John Mounsey says:
Thanks for the review, which I found very helpful. I have a dilemma as I've only recently taken the plunge for my "old" Elite model! (the black one). Needless to say I am delighted with it.. but having also shelled out for the Wireless adaptor etc. there is now the obvious temptation to "upgrade" to this sexy "slim" model!

Watch this space... ;-)

-John

Posted on 7 Sep 2010 22:12:29 BDT
N. Allen says:
Nice review. I'm seriously considering buying this console (despite my nightmare experience with two previous versions, getting a total of 50 hours play from them!). A sad admission, but I really want to play the new Fable, a couple of sports titles and have a bit of a mess around with a couple of work mates.

My major concern is the heat, but I'll be placing it on a glass surface above my desk, so hopefully this will aid airflow. I'll be keeping an eye out for the next couple of months to see if people are genuinely having issues with this (a lot of PS3 fans abound, posting inaccurate reviews, which I'll never understand) or if people suggest using additional cooling like a laptop cooler base unit, for example.

As for the brick with it's fans and noise, I'm not sure what I'll do about that. I'm sure I'll find a youtube video or two that shows it in use & noise levels. Anyway, thanks again for the review, quite informative.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2010 08:17:55 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Nov 2011 18:55:33 GMT]

Posted on 10 Oct 2010 14:25:15 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Jan 2011 20:02:03 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Oct 2010 15:29:42 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Nov 2011 18:56:31 GMT]

Posted on 3 Nov 2010 22:44:29 GMT
M. Green says:
Ive bought this xbox too and I have a problem. like you say it gets rediculously hot, but mine every now and then after extented play crashes. I have no idea why but it either gives a black screen or just freezes up. have you had this problem?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2010 18:16:07 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Nov 2011 18:58:08 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (262 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £74.99