2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book to go lightly with, 18 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Mr Golightly's Holiday (Paperback)
I hate to say I have given up reading a book half way through, but I nearly did with this one more than once. I persevered but wish I had the courage of my convictions and just put it down. It was not a book I enjoyed.

Mr Golightly's Holiday is set in Devon, where a writer of only one successful book goes for a break to see if he can reinvent the book and himself. Whilst in the village of Great Calne, he makes friends and acquaintances with the locals.

Johnny Spence the local boy who hardly goes to school, whose mother, Rosie seems to have disappeared and his step-father is neither nice or gentle with him, seeks solace with Mr Golightly who helps educate him on many matters including Classical music. Ellen Thomas the next door neighbour, who is overwhelmed with the grief from the death of her husband and is merely waiting until she is called forward to be with him. Paula who seems to be trying to control a number of members of the village so she can seek her own agenda with Jackson, her eventual live in boyfriend. These are to name but a few, the book is littered with them and it does take some concentration to remember them all and who is who and who does what.

On the face of it, the book seems a rather quirky village tale, but there is a lot more to it than that. There are so many questions raised that I actually became lost in the storyline, it was like having someone firing one after the other without time to catch your breath and actually understand the questions and the meanings of everything including it seems in the author's intention the meaning of life.

I did make it to the end, and I completely understood who Mr Golightly was and what the book was that was published a long time ago, there are clues in the book, if you want to think deeply and you can see them. What I thought was going to being a pleasant sojourn about village life and how an outsider fits in, was lost; it all goes a bit deeper than that.

Would I recommend this book? I really do not know..... if you want a light read then no, if you have the time and the interest in all things religious, philosophical then yes.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Feb 2011 22:27:41 GMT
M. Frostick says:
Thank goodness for this review. My boyfriend, an English graduate bought me this book for Christmas and it's taking me so long to read and the other day he asked me if I knew what it was about yet and was surprised I didn't and said once I'd got to the end I would probably want to read it again. He must be joking, it's been absolute torture.. I actually don't even think I ever want to pick up any other book again.. it's actually managed to put me off reading totally. I feel really thick that I could not understand the point of it at all! All those characters .. and I couldn't remember who was who or understand what they were doing. I've actually felt so stupid it made me cry in desperation! I actually feel in need of medication now but have decided after reading this review, it's not just me and am going to put it down and never pick the bloody thing up again. Can you please tell me about a book that is not complicated and that I *will* definitely enjoy so I don't think that I'm a complete dunce and give up reading forever?!!

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2011 17:10:02 BDT
Yes! The Birds, the Bees and Other Secrets, by Frances Garrood. Straightforward and enjoyable. Give it a try.

PS I HATED Mr. Golightly's Holiday!

Posted on 7 Sep 2011 20:18:55 BDT
thank you for sticking with the book and for the review, this actually made me want to buy and read it straight away
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (71 customer reviews)

Reviewer

Jo D'Arcy
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Location: Portsmouth, UK