1.0 out of 5 stars The Wall 5 stars, Immersion set 1 Star, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Wall [Immersion Edition] (Audio CD)
First and foremost let me explain all 5 star reviews on here are for Pink Floyd The Wall (The album) not to be confused with what Amazon and EMI are selling here Pink Floyd The Wall IMMERSION!
This is just a corporate marketing scam making the box set look like its got a 5 star review, if you go through the reviews you will notice the Immersion reviews are never 5 stars.
Before I go on I love Pink Floyd however this Immersion project has been a real let down for many of us fans who feel EMI have made a over priced boxset which never really made us feel fully immersed!

As with the other Immersion boxsets it contains the usual useless Scarf, marbles, envelopes etc... TAT!
Well the remastered album The Wall does sound nice and yes they have included Is there anybody out there (The Wall LIVE) theres even a cd of demo tracks but hang on there cut so we don't get the full demo??
The visual dvd was a complete let down with less than 2 minutes of live footage!
As many people know The Wall was recorded yet somehow this does not get included?

I and as many Floyd fans would of liked to see the film on Blu ray and a 5.1 mix of the album, I have found out that they now plan to release a 5.1 mix of the album!

Now for anyone who would like the good contents of the Immersion set should not have to pay the price and you don't have to, this is how.

Buy
'Is there anybody out there' 11
'The Wall [Experience Edition]' 14.93

This gives you the album, live material and demos, only thing missing would be the dvd.
Totals 25.93 BARGAIN!

However you can get the Film of 'The Wall' which is not included with the Immersion with tons of great extras for 7.84

so why don't you just get all that for 33.77?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 8 Mar 2012 12:01:52 GMT
S. P. Long says:
Actually, the Experience edition doesn't contain all the demos in this set; it includes a single disc of demos, which is cut down from the 2 discs included here.

That doesn't make the Immersion set any better value, of course...

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 16:39:16 GMT
Mr. T. Steer says:
Thanks for the update and yes I agree that does not make it any better. I have received a message from Amazon after I made a complaint about how they have grouped the reviews together. The reply I got was they are looking into it and understand my concern. Amazon said it may take upto two weeks to amend the details. Lets see what happens...

Posted on 19 Mar 2012 15:34:07 GMT
Rock Addict says:
I agree with the negative reviews of the Immersion edition. All three Immersion editions have been terrible. I started with DSOTM and was so shocked at the lack of quality that I returned it without a single regret (returned on the grounds that it was not as advertised and, to all intents and purposes, was not fit for purpose). I am now relatively happy with the Experience editions of DSOTM and WYWH. There is nothing in The Wall to warrant either the Experience or Immersion editions.

I suppose the absence of a surround sound, or SACD, for The Wall is to leave open one final money-making scam - a separate release for 2014 (35 yr anniversary for The Wall) which will probably be licenced out to the same company responsible for the WYWH SACD and the astronomical price being charged for that.

A terrible shame and, as one or two reviewers have suggested, it is potentially damaging to the credibility of the original albums and it certainly damages the reputation of the band for allowing EMI to release such a poor package. In anticipation of others suggesting otherwise, I don't accept Floyd had to take this lying down.

Perhaps Roger was in self-parody mode when writing "Money, it's a gas....".

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Mar 2012 20:13:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Mar 2012 22:05:56 GMT
Mr. T. Steer says:
Rock Addict you speak the truth. I borrowed the Immersion DSOTM from my library to see if it was worth the "money" what I was most dumbstruck by was how EMI had put a sheet of foam in the box to keep the discs from getting into contact with the tat yet they were all loose in the bottom and scratched! While I listened to the cd's I tried to think of why they had done this. All it would of taken was 4 more cardboard sleeves to protect those cd's yet they went for a stupid bit of expensive foam!

You mention "the lack of quality" and yes I agree.
While watching the 5.1 live animations of DSOTM I thought this is where the money was spent.. I was wrong every song is cut so instead when the animation ends we dont even get to hear the end of the song! Why couldn't they of just put some photo stills in until the animations start up again??? i.e Led Zeps film 'The song remains the same'.

None of these Immersion sets have been worth the money and like you I can't believe Floyd allowed EMI to treat them as a cash cow.

"Money so they say is the root of all evil today"

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2012 19:35:14 BDT
The Brain Damage site has an interview with James Guthrie: He says he is working on a 5.1 mix of "The Wall" for SACD and also a BluRay of the film. He also says that the album master tapes are in bad condition so there was not enough time to restore them to do a 5.1 mix for the boxset.

EMI should have put The Wall boxset back to 2014 (35th anniversary of the album).

So we can all look forward to future purchasing opportunities.

"And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
We call it riding the gravy train"

Posted on 30 Nov 2012 21:26:57 GMT
Spot on review condemning EMI's lust for money (it's a hit). How many versions of The Wall have we bought to date? Just to say that with careful searching on download sights it is possible to find "The Wall - live", it is "Is there anybody out there?" superb sound dubbed over the full length, poor quality filmed concert, Earl's Court. It is a fine attempt using the available footage by those who made it. Yes the sync is slightly out at times but until EMI, Floyd can be bothered to put this out god bless the bootleggers. And finally, what is the point of PAPER coasters. If i were to use the the wife would only spill her tea on them; the dog (if we had one) would chew them up, and I would get beer stains on them and my niece would try to put the in the dvd player no doubt...

Posted on 14 Feb 2013 16:45:31 GMT
Oh get over it, some people want to buy it, no one is forcing you to. EMI are not the only compnay doing this sort of thing, it is no different than an iPhone upgrade.

Posted on 3 Jul 2014 02:46:34 BDT
NoDroneZone says:
'borrowed it from the library' - walter mitty oddball style spending denial
‹ Previous 1 Next ›