5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of kit!, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: E-PRANCE® New Mini 0801 Original Ambarella A2S60 Chip 5M pixel CMOS Car DVR Recorder + High Resolution Full HD 1080P 30 FPS, OV2710 + G-sensor License Plate + 135 Degree Wide Angle View + GPS Logger (Electronics)
Surprisingly this is a very good Dash Cam. I say surprisingly because most things I've purchased that originated from China have been, to put it mildly, disappointing. It took me about five minutes, after reading the manual to set-up the menu options and get it working. There are lots of options in the setup menu, but to be honest most can be left at the default settings. The daytime picture quality is excellent (I have yet to try it at night) and the .MOV files show no signs of playback stutter. In my first trial run the GPS locked-on in about thirty seconds and the Lat & Long came up on the screen with the GPS Logo. I mounted mine in a BMW X3, which has a fairly steep windscreen rake angle, but the adjustment provided by the mounting bracket more than coped with this. The camera comes with just over 3.5 metres of power cable, which was two metres too short to complete the installation in my car. However, an extension cable from Amazon did the trick for £7.50.

The one thing I'm still fine-tuning is the camera angle. I originally had it pointing too high which captured a lot of sky. This resulted in the picture being a little dark as the auto aperture software was over compensating for extra sky. I've now got about 1/3 of my car bonnet in shot, but the picture is much brighter. I'm going to experiment further with this as I think I can still improve on the picture brightness, but to be clear this is not a major problem, just me being fussy.

The GPS App is Windows only and as I am wall-to-wall Apple I couldn't try this out properly. I do have and old Windows XP laptop that I dug out from the loft and loaded the software on that. Although the App ran I couldn't get it to read any of the GPS files the camera captured. This may well have been the ageing laptop I used, but as the video footage carries the Lat & Long, a location can be readily identified on Google maps etc should it be needed.

If you have an accident and it's not your fault, this little device can offer very useful evidence should your insurance company need to defend your case. Just be aware having the GP switched on does display your speed, albeit in Kilometres. This could either prove useful or not. It is however a piece of kit I can highly recommend.

Update: 29/01/2014

A number of people have comment on this unit switching off after a period of use. This recently happened to me and I was about to send it back as faulty. However, I discovered it sometimes gets confused as the micro SD card becomes full and the software starts overwriting the oldest files. This, I believe, is what happened to mine. It can also happen it you remove the card and delete video and or GPS files on your PC and then return it to the Dash Cam without reformatting the SD card. Always format the SD card in the Cam, never on your PC or Mac etc.

The solution that worked for me was simple;

1. Select Menu in the Cams software
2. Select and confirm Reset.
3. Select and confirm Format (clearly the card needs to be in the Dash Cam)
4. Now check and change as required other setting, Date/Time etc.

Mine has worked flawlessly since I perform this sequence.

If you are unsure about any of the above first check with the supplier or in the supplied user manual.

Hope that helps if yours develops this symptom.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]