1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
Moments of brilliant genius, horror and emotion. Sadly too few.,
This review is from: Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3) (Video Game)
I couldn't wait to play this, being a fan of the series, so I imported it from America.
The graphics are acceptable, but by no means groundbreaking - similar to Resi 4 with a touch of next gen to them. There are some nice touches, such as boss monsters and the real-time changing from the normal world to the "hell world" (think the silent hill movie).
Sound is phenomenal, the score is great, silence is well used and the monsters make suitable shrieks and slithers etc.
Combat has been changed from earlier silent hill games. Your character, coming back from military service is more than adept with any weapon he can find. The issue being that this takes away a lot of the fright and tension - there comes a point in the game when your trusty combat knife (with some well-timed blocking) puts paid to any of the creatures. I finished the game with full ammo for most of the guns, as there is only one sort of creature you can't just annihilate with the knife.
The plot is interesting, with decision making playing a part, taking you all over two different towns (one is silent hill) and there are multiple endings. The problem with them is - some of them make NO sense, not in a mysterious standard SH way, but a... I don't quite get how that can be related to what I just completed.
People compare this to Resident Evil 4, I can see why, but R4 is a masterpiece, this is just ok.
Good Points: -
* Suitably messed up for a SH game
* Some of the "hell areas" have some genuine scares
* Great soundtrack
* Pretty good plot
Bad Points: -
* Not enough creature variation - carving up 4 identical monsters and killing them all with the same finisher animation is tiresome
* Endings confusing, don't reflect the choices you made in game
* Combat system makes it too easy - recommend upping the difficulty if you purchase
* Completion didn't leave me with any sense of achievement, just very underwhelmed. I have no desire to play it through again.