2.0 out of 5 stars Some Interesting Points But Mostly Padding, 22 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Eat That Frog!: Get More of the Important Things Done - Today! (Paperback)
There are two books that are very frequently plugged on blogs by indie authors: Story Engineering by Larry Brooks and Eat That Frog by Brian Tracy. Like a true consumer, I have run all the way to Amazon with my Visa Debit card in hand and handed over my hard earned cash for them both. I am presently reading the former, which is nothing short of excellent. Here I will comment on the latter.

Eat That Frog is a self-help book about getting more of the important things done and includes 21 steps to getting lazy lumps like myself off our lazy arses. Great, I thought, seeing as I am a master procrastinator I thought that this book would serve me well.

I have to admit here that I have never found a self-help book truly helpful. This is not because I am sceptical, quite the opposite is true in fact as I tend to approach such books with annoyingly naÔve optimism. It was with the same wide-eyed enthusiasm that I started reading Brian Tracy's book and commenced my mission to quash my procrastination.

Cue disappointment...

The first thing to say is that this is not really a book to aid those with procrastination issues and I am quite unsure as to why so many people have championed it as such. Whilst it does indeed start off in that vein, it is clear that this has much more to do with time management and organisation than motivation.

The initial messages were positive. Eat That Frog! Get the ugliest and most daunting task off your to-do list first thing and then everything else is simple. Great, this is a positive approach to have and Brian Tracy is correct that the endorphins released by this will compel an individual on to tackle the remainder of their tasks. The book also cleverly points out that too many of us spend time concentrating on the less-important and easy to do tasks whilst ignoring the more pressing and salient matters. Yes, such things are counter-productive. I was also quite impressed by Tracy's ideas about prioritising tasks, writing lists and "Salami Slicing" of "Swiss Cheesing" large and daunting tasks into manageable segments. All very good advice indeed.

The majority of the book however, appears to me rather irrelevant with an array of obvious facts and standard clichés about telling yourself you can do things and trying to better yourself in each area of your field in order to get ahead. I did not find these helpful or motivational, I found them obvious and annoying. I appreciate that I may well be approaching this with a certain amount of tunnel vision. It is clear that the book is aimed at ambitious professionals so to look at it from the perspective of a writer hoping to get more writing done is not necessarily correct. I am sure that if I was in a career that required me to compete in a challenging environment on a daily basis then I may have taken more from this.

I could not help but feel that the bulk of the book was padding and very little substance. The 21 steps listed by Brian Tracey could've been printed on a 2 page pamphlet and been equally informative. The few pages devoted to each step seems rather excessive and involve a lot of repetition and waffle. Similarly, the rather thin book of 144 pages only includes around 100 pages of content. There is a large chunk at the back advertising the author's various other products and seminars.

I would not say that this is a bad book. The fact that so many people trumpet it around the internet as something of a bible as well as the fact that it averages 4.5 stars on Amazon from 45 ratings means that many must find it informative and useful. I would say however that it is not particularly informative and do not expect to suddenly stop procrastinating by reading it. Yes, you will pick up some helpful hints and tips but that will be the limit.

I don't wish to knock Brian Tracy, he is a professional motivator and helps individuals and businesses the world over to succeed. He is obviously an expert in his field and will not appreciate a jumped up nobody such as myself offering criticism of his words. In all honesty however, in relation to this book, similar information is available for free on the internet so you may be better off just asking your good old mate Mr Google for the same advice.

[Add comment]