3.0 out of 5 stars Am I an idiot?, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Watermelons: How Environmentalists are Killing the Planet, Destroying the Economy and Stealing your Children's Future (Paperback)
Counter arguments are useful; they test your own conviction, strengthen your responses, encourage a continued debate and deepen understanding. I bought this book as my thinking tends to lean towards the ideology of individuals who frustrate Delingpole and I wanted to know why this considers me to be a Watermelon.

I enjoy reading blogs. Short, snappy and often humorous, they can tug, poke, annoy, engage and at times, inspire. Blogs are often emotive, it is this that makes them interesting, but in this medium as the whole book is written in the style of a blog, I am not convinced it portrays Delingpole's arguments in a way he would wish; it becomes quite tiresome to read and the general theme and run of argument is lost.

Self-deprecation can also be humorous but here it is overused and does not help the argument. And while Delingpole at times derides emotive language he tends to be guilty of it himself which at times gets a little bit tedious and school playground - my scientist is better and more honest than your scientist.

The conclusions are a bit flat, while he suggests he understands the counter arguments about liking green fields, clean air, and polar bears he doesn't really deliver a conclusive finale. He states there is no middle way yet it can also be written that global corporations dominate much of government debate, are non-democratic in the structure, and yet dictate massively what we eat, consume and how we live. Dissent both left and right and tends to steers a middle way, which is why I have given this 3 stars, not great read but certainly not a bad one either.

Delingpole plays an important role in challenging green views, dissension is always difficult, one man's freedom fighter is another man terrorist so they say, but I don't think inflammatory language and branding me an idiot, as well as a watermelon, both of which I believe I am not, helps me endear myself to his argument.

[Add comment]