2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed after 3.5 years, 25 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Dyson DC32 Animal Full-size Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner Engineered for Removing Pet Hair (Kitchen & Home)
I thoroughly researched vacuum cleaners and tried out various models like the Hoover Hurricane, Morphy Richards and Vax Pet models. I finally plumped for the full size Dyson Animal (it's a similar price to the Baby Animal but significantly more powerful). I still had a few reservations - one being the hefty price tag. I've always been a little bit put off Dysons because of the hype. But having one has made me change my mind completely. Here were some of my reservations:

1.The hose is too short:
True, you have to move it a bit more than other models because the hose is quite short, but it moves along easily and you find this is not a problem.

2.The handle will be unwieldy:
The handle is really comfortable to use. And as the wand is telescopic you can set it at just the right height for you.

3.The pick-up won't be that much better than cheaper models:
Not true. The pick-up is amazing and much better than other (new) cylinders I'd tried. My carpets although hoovered with a new Vax a few hours before relinquished loads more dust and hair. What is noticable is along with the hair (I have a cat), is the sheer amount of fine dust it picks up. My carpets look like they've been professionally cleaned!

4.No variable suction:
You don't need it. It glides across my short carpets and rugs with ease while maintaining excellent suction. When doing my lino the suction was so strong it threatened to pick my lino up, but this was easily solved by using the button on the handle which lets more air in thus easing the suction but maintaing a good pick-up.

5.The hose attaches to the side so the machine will be pulled diagonally:
The hose feeds in through the side but is clipped on at the front so it's actually pulled in a straight line.

6. The wand won't reach the ceiling for removing cobwebs etc:
Not so - the wand is telescopic and is easily long enough.

7. It's too heavy:
It IS a heavy machine, no getting away from it. But in my opinion the superb cleaning action is worth putting up with this.

8. It's only 1400 watts:
It really packs a punch and surpasses 2200 models (I've tried). It's the efficiency of the suction that matters rather than simply the wattage. As this is running at 100% efficiency it surpasses many other models.

9. It's bulky to store:
This is true so bear this in mind if space is an issue.

Apart from all this there is a 5 year guarantee for peace of mind. It comes with a good selection of tools including another full size head for hard floors. Smaller tools can be stored on the base and it is easy to empty. It has a foot operated cord rewind and off switch - each in a different colour so you don't confuse them. The cord rewind is pretty speedy too. The turbo head can be adjusted for hard floors as well as carpets so you don't have to switch to the supplied hard floor head. In addition the chassis sits on the stairs as you clean making it very easy to work with.

I have to say this hoover was well worth the money. It tackles human and pet hair with ease and the brush bar is easily removed for cleaning. Dyson offer excellent customer service and will send out an engineer if something goes wrong.

This cleaner is highly recommended. The competition pales by comparison - which you would expect given the price. But believe the hype - it's all true...I look forward to hoovering now!

UPDATE: Well it's been 3.5 years since I purchased the Dyson. I wish I could say it was different but I am really disappointed in it's lack of longevity. It's lost suction - something which it's never supposed to do.

I've checked it all over for blockages, washed and dried the filters and even had a new cleaning head sent to me by Dyson HQ. Nothing doing.

Reading my review I was reminded by how good the suction used to be. It just hasn't stood the test of time. I've raised the issue with Dyson customer services and they've talked me through all the issues that it could have but it still hasn't improved despite my best efforts. I wanted to arrange an engineer visit but was warned that if it's not suffering from a recognised fault then I will be charged for the visit. Not happy. At all.

The problem is that it still has suction, it's just not as good as it used to be. I mean it used to be outstanding and now it's just average. I think I will pursue remedy with Dyson as at this price point it should live up to it's claims.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jul 2010 22:36:49 BDT
Thanks for posting such a comprehensive review!

Posted on 18 Nov 2010 10:42:11 GMT
I am thinking of getting a new cleaner, and your very full review has helped me to make up my mind. This is the one I will have. Thank very much Krupskaya.

Posted on 10 Jun 2011 11:17:41 BDT
Thanks for the informative review!

Posted on 1 Aug 2011 14:26:10 BDT
Very helpfull review! What's your opinion about the emptying part?

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 17:14:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 28 Dec 2011 17:15:39 GMT
Reg says:
The best review i have ever read.Thank you

Posted on 1 Aug 2012 15:18:44 BDT
Firewalker says:
Thanks for taking the time to post this very helpful review - and in an easy to read format.

Posted on 2 Sep 2014 09:07:56 BDT
manda says:
You need to buy some new filters. My 10 year old dyson finally seemed like it had lost all suction (especially after the abuse it got when we did our extension). I was ready to buy a new one, but hubby said just buy some new filters and see if that helps. So I got a complete set of new filters from ebay for about £7 and my dyson was as good as new, back to lifting up the carpets it was that strong. Since then I have washed them every couple of months and its still going strong. However I won't hesitate to buy some new filters when washing them doesn't help any more. I think its the main reason dysons can last so long and be easily refurbished, it is very easy to get hold of new parts. So don't give up hope yet, give it a try first.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Jun 2015 15:58:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Sep 2015 10:38:15 BDT
Robert W says:
I stumbled over this review after experiencing the exact same problem as the reviewer, after 3-3.5 years it just doesn't work as well as when it was new... I had actually just written to Amazon about the 5 year warranty but don't like the sound of having to foot the bill my self if they don't "find" anything wrong (although I haven't heard back from Amazon yet). But I will try replacing the filter first after reading your response....

EDIT: I ended up using our own electronic insurance which covers all our electronics 4 years from purchase. They gave a cash settlement equal to the price of a new dc39 without us even having to send it in :-). Oddly enough I'm considering a newer model Dyson (DC 52) anyway cause I simply don't want to use bags and filters (and they now claim no suction loss).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›