ARRAY(0xafa429a8)

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to be considered classic Ghibli., 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Arrietty Deluxe Collector's Edition - Double Play (Blu-ray + DVD) (Blu-ray)
Having watched Arrietty at my local cinema and now having savoured the Blu-ray, I'm going to go out on a limb and proclaim that the wonderful Studio Ghibli stable has finally found a *potential* successor to Hayao Miyazaki. Arrietty is an absolutely wonderful film, and it is gobsmacking to think that this is a directorial debut for Hiromasa Yonebayashi - who has already been proclaimed the studio's "best young animator" by the 70 year old veteran (Miyazaki) himself.

I won't spoil the story for you other than to give you the film's basic premise: Arrietty is based on Mary Norton's classic book, The Borrowers, and it more or less sticks to the book's narrative. It tells the tale of 14 year old Arrietty, a 'Borrower', or 'little person', and her family. She lives with her mother and father under the floorboards of a house in Western Tokyo. As 'Borrowers', they sneak out at night to "borrow", or rather take food and other essentials from the house's human occupants, but only enough as to live on. One of the humans in the house, or "human beans" as the borrowers hilariously call them, is a boy named Sho, who is of a similar age to Arrietty and is staying at the house to convalesce prior to an operation. One day he spots Arrietty, which is the worst thing possible to happen to a Borrower, as being seen by human beans traditionally spells trouble for these little folk. However, Sho is not a typical brash screen kid, he's a kind hearted gentle soul and only wishes to befriend Arrietty. I will not delve further into the plot for fear of spoiling it for you, other than to say it is a simple tale and ask that you don't go looking for hidden metaphors or underlying subtext as you would with some other Ghibli films. Like Ponyo before it, this is an old fashioned simple tale of friendship and discovery. And herein lies its beauty. However, there are some subtle action scenes and plenty of humour, too. Most of all though, like the best Ghibli films, it oozes charm and warmth.

As regards the animation, well for me it is up there with the very best Ghibli films. Every single frame is so beautifully drawn that you'd want to hang each of them on your wall. The sense of scale is quite astonishing as these tiny people are offset against the background of the human bean world, containing (at least to them) enormous furniture and other everyday knick knacks. The sense of peril that things such as rats and insects pose to a Borrower is wonderfully translated to the viewer by the beautiful animation and its clever use of scale. It screams Hayao Miyazaki from every pore, and it is clear that, despite not being the director, the master had a HUGE influence on this production beyond his role of script writer. The characters all look like they're from a Miyazaki film and all have that unmistakable Ghibli charm. They're not just Ghibli characters on a superficial/visual level either, you *care* for these people. Which is more than I can say for the characters from Goro Miyazaki's Tales from Earthsea, for example. This is why I feel Yonebayashi could be the future of the studio. I like many of the non-Miyazaki/non-Takahata Ghibli films, in fact The Cat Returns is one of my favourite Ghibli titles, but this is the first time I've sat there and realised that a rookie Ghibli director has truly been mentored by Miyazaki... truly *absorbed* some magic from him. But for all of its feel of a Miyazaki film, it also feels new and fresh, which is Yonebayashi's own personality and stamp. Just the way it should be.

As much as I adore the Joe Hisaishi compositions of past Ghibli films, Cecile Corbell's Bretton/Gallic haunting melodies are a match made in heaven for the images on the screen. Although it is set in Tokyo, it still has the western feel that The Borrowers always had, so for me the Western 'vibe' of the music is extremely well suited. Besides, some of Corbell's score sounds subtly influenced by Japanese folk anyway.

As for the technical details regarding this 'Deluxe Collectors Edition', well it comes with both a Blu-ray and a DVD of the film. I have watched the Blu-ray from start to finish and it is a wonderful transfer. Not the slightest hint of noise reduction or edge enhancement. It is as beautiful as when I saw it on the local cinema, and the rich palate just leaps off the screen. There is no sign of shimmering lines, blocks or any other compression based artefacts. The sound is also well presented, and we have DTS HD audio for both the Japanese and English tracks (more on the English track below). As regards the DVD, well it's not such good news I'm afraid. The shimmery artefacting and blocky compression looked particularly bad. I don't remember seeing an Optimum Ghibli release look this bad on DVD since Spirited Away, which also suffered terrible and needless compression artefacts. Unlike the Optimum Spirited Away DVD, the colour on the Arrietty DVD is actually OK, but if you have access to a HD screen and Blu-ray player, I urge you to spend wisely and buy this collector's edition or the standard Blu-ray instead of the DVD.

As regards the aforementioned English track, and just as it was for the UK cinema release, it is totally unique to the British market. By this I mean it uses different actors to the Disney track that will be added for the American market. This is why we managed to get the film so much sooner than our friends across the pond, both as regards cinematic release and home video, and it is something I hope to see more of in future. While I myself prefer to watch in the native Japanese, I do not think it is fair that we get American actors thrust down our ears at every opportunity when it comes to the dubbing of anime, so it's nice to see some Brits get a share of the work for once. Also, as far as dubs go, the largely English voice cast suit Arrietty perfectly.

Extras/special features: Well, they're pretty much run of the mill for an Optimum Releasing Studio Ghibli title. We get the now standard alternate angle 'storyboard' track, which allows us to watch the entire film in storyboard mode, the original Japanese trailer, a couple of TV spots and interviews with the cast and production people. Although the interviews are far more extensive than normal and run to about an hour in length. Miyazaki is as charming and candid as he always is, as he discusses his decision to award the director's job to Yonebayashi. Worryingly, more hints are made as to the long term survival of our beloved studio and, once again, he seems to be encouraging fans to adopt the young Ghibli directors - after all, Miyazaki won't be around forever. Yonebayashi seems a little shy and awkward in his interview, but what he has to say about his work on the film is extremely interesting, and he also takes us through some conceptual artwork of his. We also get interviews with the English voice cast, which was quite interesting to me even though I'm a fan of anime in the native Japanese tongue. Finally, there's a video of Cécile Corbel & ensemble performing the wonderful 'Arrietty' theme song. I should also note that the included DVD only contains the alternative angle storyboard feature. Whether this is true or not for the standalone DVD, I do not know, but it is definitely the case for the deluxe Blu-ray/DVD combo discussed here. A handful of 'artcards' (postcards) featuring artwork from the film are also provided.

In summary, I have no qualms *whatsoever* in giving this wonderful anime 5 stars. It is a must see hand drawn classic amongst a sea of commercial guff and generic CGI animation. I urge you to buy it not only as the studio needs our support now more than ever, but also because it begs multiple viewings. A rental just wouldn't do it justice.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jan 2012 00:54:11 GMT
Raj*Sid says:
Thanks Bertie, that was one of the most indepth reviews I've read here on Amazon.
I'm really looking forward to 'Arrietty' and I do believe that Hayao Miyazaki is the greatest living director we have with us.

May Studio Ghibli live for ever*

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jan 2012 18:56:39 GMT
Thanks, Raj. Yeah, he's the greatest storyteller alive... a modern day Hans Christian Andersen. Rumour has it that he is working on a sequel to Porco Rosso, called 'Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie'. If true, it will be the first ever true sequel from the studio (Whisper of The Heart/The Cat Returns are more loosely linked than true prequel/sequel). If true, it should be something very special, and it wouldn't surprise me if it is his swansong. I believe the studio should survive though, with Yonebayashi at the helm.

Posted on 13 Jan 2012 10:22:15 GMT
S. Sahota says:
Great review.
Can you confirm if the blu ray is actually locked to Region B?

Posted on 15 Jan 2012 06:33:08 GMT
Mohd Jafar says:
Thanks for the insightful review, Bertie. Much appreciated. Like the user above, I would also like to know if this release is region free? Can you please confirm?

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 21:48:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jan 2012 21:49:27 GMT
Sorry guys, but I'm currently staying at a friend's for a few days and don't have it with me, but I'll be sure to check when I get home. As well as checking the box, is there a way to tell what region a Blu-ray is from within the player? I ask as sometimes what it says on the packing is wrong, and I'll make a proper check if I can.

However, please bear in mind that I also own Nausicaa, Laputa (Castle in the Sky) and Ponyo on Blu-ray, from this same company (Optimum Releasing/Studio Canal), and they're all Region B... at least according to the packs (my friend also has these titles in his collection so I actually just checked this). So it would be a little out of the ordinary should they be multi-region, although I will confirm when I get back.

Posted on 16 Jan 2012 16:25:02 GMT
Great review, and thank you for confirmation regarding the art cards.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2012 19:12:25 GMT
Mohd Jafar says:
Hey there Bertie!

Thanks for the response. Much appreciated. I know Optimum have been region locking their previous Ghibli BD releases, so I'm not really holding my breath on this one either...but then life is full of surprises ;)

Thanks again and hope you have a great year!

Greetings from India.

Posted on 17 Jan 2012 14:21:42 GMT
alek says:
Hi,

Great review really got me keen on it and other ghibli classics, I was wondering though if this was in English, I've been looking to buy and all seem to state that language is in Japanese and subtitled in English..

Can you confirm please?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2012 17:33:02 GMT
Yeah, both English and Japanese audio tracks are contained. I myself prefer to keep the original feel of the films and watch with Japanese audio and English subtitles, but there's a great all English voice cast dub, too. With animation, dubs work fine, unlike live action films where the voices don't suit the mouths. So the choice is yours.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2012 18:11:28 GMT
alek says:
yeah I know what you mean.. thanks mate I really appreciate it.. gonna order it now ;P
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (37 customer reviews)

Used & New from: 30.00