5.0 out of 5 stars The Nephilim - THE Classic 80s album, 8 Jan 2003
This review is from: Fields Of The Nephilim (Audio CD)
Back in 1988 chart music had for the most part descended into tiresome, predictable pap, & in the UK we had the added indignity of the appalling formularized singles of Stock, Aitken & Waterman clogging up the music charts - sending any thinking music fan (with a musical pulse) running for cover. It did indeed appear to be the year that the music died...
What an amazing surprise then this album was when it appeared later that year - a musical oasis in a barren desert. But who were The Nephilim? All I had seen was a photo of the band (& decided they looked really cool) & a live review in the press. But this was enough to convince me of their credentials, & to buy their CD - & I most certainly wasn't disappointed!

This was the music dreams (& beautiful nightmares) are made of. Not really heavy metal, but something completely new (to my ears)... an inspired re-invention.
From the slow instrumental build-up of the excellent opening track 'Endemoniada' into something much heavier (& those legendary emotive vocals of the god-like Carl McCoy) I knew I had stumbled onto something very special.
At last I felt someone was making the music that I wanted to listen to; music that spoke to me in grand gestures & had a dark intelligence... almost like a great arthouse movie.
We then hear the two awesome singles 'The Watchman' & 'Moonchild' (the latter which had briefly charted in the summer of 1988), & these, combined with 'Phobia' & the full-on live favourite 'Chord of Souls' concocted to make what must be one of the most thrilling sides (we're talking vinyl here) of a studio album, in my opinion, probably ever produced.

The mood slows a little on side 2 with the stripped-down 'Celebrate', but the atmospheric sound effects, chanting monks & women crying that precede the commericial 'Love Under Will' provide an eerie bridge.
'Last Exit For The Lost' is the grand elongated climax - & the song I want played at my funeral!

This album is a must for all discerning rock fans. Forget the (sometimes unhelpful) 'gothic' tag - this is just great, grand, heavy music from a band at the peak of their powers, & who should have gone on to conquer the universe.

A truly overlooked classic - if you've not heard it already, well, what are you waiting for! Come on over to the
darkside & join me, & see for yourself...

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Nov 2009 18:48:58 GMT
Perfect review, couldn't agree more, but are you really going to have last exit for the lost played at your funeral?
I wonder WHAT your relatives will make of that!

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Feb 2011 17:32:22 GMT
Steve Cann says:
Thanks Richard! Apologies for my sluggish reply... I hadn't 'reviewed my review' for years, so was very pleased and surprised to read your comment just now - I really appreciate it :-)
Ha - I'm a bit less doomy these days, it has to be said (but still a big Nephilim fan of course). I think I'll scrub 'LEFTL' at my funeral then, and go for Bowie's 'Ashes to Ashes' instead... it's a lot shorter too! Though not sure what the relatives will think - he he.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (19 customer reviews)

Reviewer