2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Pure Move 2500 Rechargeable Personal Digital DAB/FM Radio - Black (Electronics)
Sorry, but I cannot jump on the bandwagon with those who think this new offering from Pure is marvellous.

It was recommended to me by a relative who, like me, already had the Pure 1500 pocket radio and considered this model to be vastly superior. So I bought it and tried it around town this morning. The dreaded DAB burble was present nearly all the time to such an extent that I wished I had brought my old AM pocket radio, with all its shortcomings, instead.

Some people have reported good reception in their cars. Well, lucky them! I could not receive anything in the car at all and I tried two different lengths of connecting cable in case this had a bearing on the matter. I have not yet tried it in any form of public transport.

Another big irritation is that the charging cable is fitted, not with the common mini USB plug, but a micro USB plug which means taking the whole charger away with you if you want to use the radio on holiday or, indeed, for more than seven hours anywhere. Surely Pure could have provided a mini to micro adaptor? You can't upgrade the radio without this accessory.

On the plus side the earphones are the only ones I have ever been able to wear for more than a few seconds without acute discomfort. However, there is no in-line volume control fitted to them. Yes I know the volume can be adjusted on the set itself but these days that means taking off gloves, undoing outer garments etc. and fishing the radio out of your pocket and turning off Keylock before you can get to the volume dial. The radio does work with my separate headphones fitted with a volume control as well (or as badly) as the Pure ones so why not provide one?

Tone controls are a useful addition. Sound quality, when I do get a good signal, is good and the maximum volume is satisfactory. Control is fiddly and often drops out of the mode you want before you have had time to make any adjustments.

In short, therefore, I regret buying this item. I have gained little if anything over my Pure 1500 and am nearly 80 worse off into the bargain. My advice to anyone thinking of buying one is to try to borrow or hire one first to try it out. Obviously from all the positive reports it does work in some areas, but here in the outback area known as the Hampshire coast it is nearly useless.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Feb 2013 14:33:38 GMT
Micro USB is the standard for mobile phone chargers, and is in fact one of the most widely available cables at the moment. The fact that Pure have moved to this cable should be applauded, not derided.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Feb 2013 15:12:13 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Feb 2013 15:13:09 GMT
Azi Seeit says:
Thank you for your comment. I cannot really agree with it as I have at least five appliances which take the mini USB plug and this seems to apply to everyone who brings a camera for the pictures to be downloaded. In contrast I have not seen the micro plug in use on any other appliance of my aquaintance and, as I wrote, that means buying yet another cable in order to upgrade the radio. Given the similarlity in size of the two plugs Pure could, and in my view should, have equipped the radio with a mini plug or a mini to micro adaptor.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›