4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, a couple of minor niggles..., 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Xtra-Funky Exclusive PU Leather Case Wallet Cover For WHsmith's Kobo Glo E-Reader Device (KOBO GLO, BLUE) (Electronics)
The version of this case I bought (via the drop down selection during ordering) is for the KoboGlo and is in blue.

I only took delivery of this today for my KoboGlo (awesome bit of kit!) and didn't think the usual "don't review until you've used it a while" need apply. It's an ereader case!

Ok, the first worry about buying a case for the KoboGlo for me was size. So many vendors out there sell cases made for other sized devices it makes choosing a non-gen item a bit of a gamble. I can confirm this case is a good size for my GoboGlo, although it wasn't made for this model (more on that later). The corner slots at the bottom are tight fitting for the Glo and hold it well. The top two are elasticated and fit reasonably well over it, but they aren't very tight. Having said that, there's no danger of it falling out of the case because of this. The width and height dimensions of the case itself are pretty much spot on, so no complaints there. From what I've read elsewhere, I think this case was probably made with the KoboTouch in mind. I believe the Touch is around 10mm taller than the Glo, which would make sense for this case.

The colour is as displayed in the pics and I really like the shade of blue they've used. The outer is fairly rigid, slightly padded and has a leather grain look to it. There's a magnetic clasp on the front to hold it closed. The front flap can be folded behind the case and fastened there when you're reading, so it doesn't get in the way. I can slip the fingers of my right hand into the gap when it's in that position and it makes for holding it easier, leaving my thumb free to turn pages.

Inside the front cover there's a large, flat pocket (see product pics). My reservation about this is twofold. Firstly, when you close the cover, the corner of the pocket touches the screen. I can't imagine it would take too much pressure to damage the screen and I'm tempted to cut this out of the case altogether. If the KoboGlo is left on when you close the case, the part of the pocket touching the screen will turn pages or open menu items. I found that out by accident. It's not a major problem, but something to be aware of. In case any of you are wondering, this case doesn't put the KoboGlo to sleep when the case is closed. My second reservation is that if you use the pocket to store anything, it will cause the pocket flap to put pressure on the screen. I wouldn't recommend using it.

The other niggle I have with this case relates to the corner slots that hold the KoboGlo in place. The power button for the Glo is on the top right edge of the unit. The elasticated flap covers it. It's not quite as bad as it sounds because the elastic isn't tight enough to stop you using the on/off slider. If this will bother you, the flap can be removed with a craft knife or just left out of the way. The non-elasticated flap on the bottom left does cover the memory card slot though. So, if you need to remove the card you will have to take the KoboGlo out of the case first. Again, this is a niggle for me more than a problem as I rarely need to switch or remove the card, but I thought it worth mentioning. The charging/USB slot at the bottom of the Glo isn't covered at all and you can still connect the USB cable even when the case is closed.

I know I've mentioned a few negative points in this review and that's to make it as balanced as possible. For all the small criticisms, I still like the case and think it's worth the asking price of less than £10. Considering the prices of 'genuine' case from the likes of WHSmith, this one is excellent for the money and I'm very happy in my first day using it.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]