3.0 out of 5 stars Does not work on all households., 24 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 Wi-Fi Add-On Powerline Adapter (Wi-Fi Extender, 1 LAN Port, Small, 500 Mbps) (Accessory)
I already have a dLAN 200 network with 3 devices plugged in which works well. I decided to extend my network by adding a wifi dLAN 500. I plugged it in and although the green wifi light came on, I could detect no wifi signal. I installed the Cockpit app and could see and configure the device settings from there - just no wifi. I emailed Devolo support who said the device must be faulty and to send it back.

Amazon swiftly sent me a replacement but the same problem happened. I could see the adapter in the Cockpit app but no wifi signal was produced.

This time I phoned Devolo support who said that they had had this problem before, and the customer had then tried the dLAN 500 at a friend's house where the wifi signal was immediately available. They advised me to try my adapter out at a friends house to see if I could get wifi by plugging it into somebody else's network but not my own.

I did so (with the friend who had first recommended devolo adapters to me) and the adapter worked perfectly and immediately. Devolo support told me to send the device back as they had no solution to this problem although they were aware of it.

Some wifi adapters just won't send out a signal in some households but they do not know why.

Devolo support suggested that I could try the stronger (and more expensive) dLAN 500 wireless, but after having had to return two dLAN adapters, I decided not to bother.

I have given 3 stars because support for my problem was swift and helpful, but they couldn't resolve the problem. It is a shame because my other devolo adapters are brilliant.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Aug 2013 12:07:12 BDT
Mr. A. Cogan says:
This problem can occur if the socket you plug the receiver into is not on the same electrical wiring circuit as the receiver socket.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Aug 2013 12:35:04 BDT
Gadg3tGal says:
True, but I tested the Devolo 500 in the same socket that one of my existing Devolo 200s was plugged into and it still did not broadcast a wireless signal. On all the sockets, the Devolo 500 could be seen on the network via the Cockpit app but would not broadcast wifi. I now have a Devolo 200 wired plugged into the socket in my office and it works fine.

Posted on 26 Aug 2013 21:41:49 BDT
If you had a dLAN 200 network, did you check with Devolo that an additional dLAN 500 device would work correctly? Unless the dLAN 200 devices were designed to be forward compatible (or the additional dLAN 500 device was designed to be backward compatible), the additional dLAN 500 device would probably not integrate properly into the established dLAN 200 network.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2013 09:39:14 BDT
Gadg3tGal says:
A very sensible suggestion. Yes I did. Before buying I checked the devolo website and it states that 500 and 200 are compatible. I double checked this when I was speaking with their very helpful support person and he also confirmed it. It is always important to check compatibility first.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2013 12:35:04 BDT
Thanks for confirming that the dLAN 200 and dLAN 500 devices are compatible. We have had a dLAN 500 network for about a year and it's working fine.

Posted on 16 Nov 2013 17:15:29 GMT
Connie says:
Hi, Like you I have a dLAN 200 network with 2 adapters but I need a third. I was considering getting this 500 as it is meant to be compatible but your experience has made me question if will work. If a 500 adapter won't work with a 200 starter what If I bought a dLAN 500 starter kit do you think the 200 adapters would work with it?? thanks Connie

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2013 19:54:51 GMT
S. Dibble says:
You don't need to, the 500 is fully compatible with the 200, mine works fine.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2013 20:19:26 GMT
Connie says:
Thanks for confirming the compatibility.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2014 17:34:24 BDT
C. Mcgrath says:
I've been through 3 adapters and now sitting with the Dlan 500 which will not work. The phone socket is in my new extension so could it be this is a new electric circuit? No one can explain why I can't get them to work but I think you maybe right? Is there a way round it?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 May 2014 18:51:47 BDT
S. Dibble says:
You may need to have a mains continuity test done to check whether the extension shares the same circuit as the sockets in the rest of the house. As long as they share a common neutral bar in the fuse box it should work. Mine does with a connection in my workshop in the back garden both with an older type cable 200 and wifi 500.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›