5.0 out of 5 stars Makes perfect sense!, 5 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Eat Fat Get Thin: Eat As Much As You Like And Still Lose Weight! (Paperback)
This is the first time I have ever felt the urge to review a book on dieting - as I have been sceptical (to say the least) of them all really, and usually been proved right!! However, this book has changed my life. I have spent the last 19 years going from one eating disorder to another and the result was a good 5 stone of excess weight, not to mention zero self esteem! I bought this book after reading about the author's views on another subject. I read it through at least 3 times first, researched Barry Groves and his other works on the internet... and then applied his teachings so to speak! The results were amazing and not only in the lost weight, but the reduction in bloating, digestive problems and more importantly sugar and carb cravings. I have watched with great interest the toing and froing over the Atkins Diet lately and would say this is the perfect compromise!! It seems far more balanced and the weight comes off steadily but without any difficulties. More sustainable, I have kept my 5 stone + off now with ease over the past 11 months.
I am now a healthy weight, have changed my eating and cooking habits for life... and my son is so much healthier for it too.....and wholeheartedly feel that leaving behind the current dictate of low fat, (often high sugar) low nutrient eating was the best thing I have ever done. Oh, and by the way, you will see a huge improvement in the condition of your hair, skin and nails as well.
I have never recommended a book before, and I may never recommend one again... but I urge you to read this one! Good Luck!!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Nov 2007 13:35:16 GMT
J. Davis says:
I wrote this original review, and wanted to post an update now we are in November 2007. I have still kept my weight off, all 5 stone+ as stated. I have never felt healthier, and have also read Barry Groves new book which is fabulous. My main point here is that, since writing the first review that you can see, my friends have all regained the weight they lost during this time on low fat diets. I am the only one to remain slim and satisfied....Think on....Thanks for listening.

Posted on 27 Jun 2009 23:27:30 BDT
J. Davis says:
Having written the last two reviews above, it is now June 2009 and I have lost an additional stone with ease. Am the smallest I have ever been and haven't had heartburn or indigestion when eating this way since 2003 when I wrote the original comment. Every now and again, I have weak moments of concern when media stories break saying things like red meat is linked for sure to cancer. However, I do usually stop myself and remember how I used to feel against how I feel now. Last year, 2008, I did slip up and started eating bread and pasta dishes over a period of 4 months, on a strange and weirdly thought out diet to lose more weight. Result? Bloating, indigestion, achy joints, insomnia, and a reminder of how I was prior to 2003. Hope this update helps you. I enjoyed steak and salad tonight just before I wrote this. Thanks for listening....

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2009 00:43:42 BDT
S. S. says:
Hi, just wanted to say that it's inspiring to read your progress and the changes you have experienced. I'm just doing some research into this book and think I might try this way of eating. Hopefully I will have similar results to you and come back with my own success story! :)
All the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2010 14:16:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Sep 2010 14:17:55 BDT
I just wanted to say thanks for your inspiring review and updates too! I've been eating this way for just over a week and have noticed that my asthma is a lot better and my energy levels have practically doubled! It's as if my body is no longer hampered and made sluggish by all the carbs I used to eat before. I've also lost about 5 pounds without even trying - I've never once felt hungry and instead of desperately scrabbling around for food to nibble on at 4pm whilst I cook the evening meal (which I always did before) I'm now like "Oh, it's time to make something to eat - but I'm not all that hungry really!" This diet must be keeping my insulin levels stable for much longer.
I've noticed that I sleep much better too and am less stressed - my brain must be getting more of what it needs I think!

I used to yo-yo diet on low fat foods and then gorge on everything in sight when I couldn't stand it any more! I've lost stones upon stones several times and then put them all back on and more - I finally now feel that I've found something that offers a solution, and is the most common-sense natural one at that! I don't feel that I'm "on a diet" at all but am just eating in the way that my body has evolved to eat.
Hope you continue to have success!

Posted on 28 Apr 2011 18:27:16 BDT
J. Davis says:
Hi all. Well, as the original poster of this comment, I often check in to see how people are doing, and really appreciate the other comments people have posted on here......and sincerely hope they have found that healthy place they were looking for. An update from me would be that I remain thankfully slim and healthy. This really is just a way of life for me now, though I often check in to the Barry Groves website and read his articles. My son is now aged 15 and you can really see that he has benefited from finding 'proper' food in the fridge as opposed to the previous low fat, faddy things I used to provide for him I am afraid to say. However, I don't play the blame game and can only say I was doing what I thought was right based on what "the experts" advised, and it took a huge leap of faith to change things not only for me but especially my precious son. A new development though would have to be that my sister was recently diagnosed as pre-diabetic. She listened to me and read the books way back when she was initially diagnosed with PCOS, but, as she says now, never felt confident enough to take that leap and she never managed to lose her excess weight, though she tried very, very hard. She yo-yo'd over again since my original post in 2003, and some diets worked for her to be fair but for a very short time, and then she gained the weight back and more. Anyway, sorry to ramble, but basically having now been diagnosed pre-diabetic to add to her troubles, she decided she had nothing to lose and was "desperate" so took my old notes and books away with her in March 2011 - and she has lost 13lbs in 6 weeks! She said she found it hard at first as she constantly craved sugar, but now she hardly thinks of it. She also says she is stunned to find it much easier to sleep, has no joint pain, feels less stressed and her sugar levels are normal (last tested a week ago) - I can relate to all of this. I hope that this update helps anyone who is thinking of taking the plunge but is worried, cos there is so much out there to contradict this way of life, and it takes courage to go against the advice of those we usually hold in awe. I have everything crossed for my sister's success and genuinely wish you good luck if you are starting on this path.....I really mean that.....read as much as you can and take things at your own pace.......

In reply to an earlier post on 20 May 2011 10:24:06 BDT
R. O'connell says:
Good news, thanks for the update!

-Lynnie O'Connell

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2011 15:47:52 BDT
lizh1 says:
Very interesting. I have also read Barry Groves new book. It is fascinating and confirms what I have suspected for many years. I adopted a similar diet for health problems, rather than weight issues, but as a useful by-product I am now more trim and toned (and my health problems are virtually zero). The concept works not only because it is what we should be eating for good health anyway, but because it reduces the load of yeasts and bad bacteria. This is why your bloating etc is so much better. Barry Groves has done endless research and I would say this is a must read for anyone remotely interested in their health and well being and just to be generally well informed about how we are manipulated by pharmaceuticals, food manufacturers and governments

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2011 05:52:07 BDT
This is so inspiring - I too am prediabetic and after reading this post I am now definitely going to buy this book. Thanks:)

Posted on 21 Feb 2012 11:53:31 GMT
Eddy says:
Thanks for your initial post and the updates. I've been on many diets over the years, and stuck to them all rigidly. After initially losing weight, it always slows down, or stays the same, even though I'm doing the same things, and eating the same amounts. But being vegetarian for the last 28 years, when I go on a low fat diet, it tends to be very high in carbs. I have bought this book and am about half way through, and have to say that at the moment, looking at the book's evidence and more strikingly, the reviews like yours, I am going to change my eating to the way the book suggests, and perhaps even stop being a vegetarian, which is a huge step for me. Bread, pasta, rice, noodles etc have always been a big part of my diet, and I now understand why it could be that it's been so hard for me to lose weight and keep it off. Thanks very much for the updates and hope your sister is much better now. I will let you know how I get on.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2012 19:19:48 GMT
J. Davis says:
Hi Eddy, really interesting post, thanks. Can actually relate to this a lot as, before I changed my whole eating regime, I rarely ate any meat or fish at all and lived on carbs, rice and veggies most of the time. I thought this was very healthy and I had to change my whole way of thinking when I decided I was just getting so much more unhealthy....and was desperate enough to read up and try something else. However, after a short time the change in my health was amazing....day by day I could see the difference. Can't say it was easy to start, cravings for carbs and sugars drove me mad, but suddenly these stopped too. My sister has now lost 60+ lbs and is at her ideal weight. LDL cholesterol down, HDL (healthy one) up. She looks amazing, and is now running around with the kids. She was afraid to start with due to bad press about this sort of diet but now she won't be swayed, no joint pains, no cravings for carbs, and she eats tons of salad and veg now but it is balanced with fats and proteins too. Good luck Eddy, I wish you the very best, and let us know how you get on :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›