5.0 out of 5 stars Shooting At the Moon- Brilliant Cds Remastered. Ayer for your Delight, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
You really cannot go wrong with this 5 Cd set for the Price of 1 Cd set by Kevin Ayers.
For the price is stunning and all of the 5 have had their sound remastered.

True there are no extra tracks which is a shame because there are a few kicking around like the Old Grey Whistle Test ones for example which would have been a wonderful bonus and added to the buyer's interest I believe.

However the remastered sound may be enough to entice anyone who alread may have a couple of Kevin Ayers Cds already.

On the other hand if you have then on vinyl and they are worn out or scratched then you really are on to a winner.

5CD set comes in a simple and easy to store Card case and all the CDS have the LP replica sleeves.
The Cds are"Joy Of A Toy" (1969),
"Shooting At The Moon" (1970),
"Whatevershebringswesing" (1971),
"Bananamour" (1973) and
"The Confessions Of Dr Dream & Other Stories" (1974)

A steal at this price and they will become collectors items in a few years time?

PS Mr Chris Geezer Butler has been kind enough to tell me that "if you want extra tracks from this era from KA, the single cd issues have them."

He quite rightly says that 'the point is, these original album sets are just that, original albums." He also adds that

" if you can afford to be ten quid lighter in the pocket each month, sign up to Spotify, his extended albums are all there. Just stream from your device to your hi-fi, with one of the fine dacs that are on offer from here. The quality can be somewhat surprising."

Now whilst agree with his point that these are the original albums that is what we are buying.
BUT.
I have noticed in examining over 50 of similar sets that some have a couple of the albums remastered.
Some have all the albums released in the remastered form and
some have the remastered albums along with extra bonus tracks.
For example look at the Jefferson Airplane reissues.
Volunteers, one of the classic albums, for example has 3 extra tracks. The others in the 5 set the same.
Now my point is this.
If I had the older version of Volunteers and another one from the set is it worth seeking out the 3 I do not have or buy the whole 5 set, duplicating the 2 BUT getting the extra tracks and enhanced sound?
I needed that information to make my choice.
Amazon had not listed the tracks so I investigated and found them.
I bought the 5 CD set and thought I'd pass on my knowledge and findings to others so that they could make an informed judgement without having to go through all my research.

So when I wrote the review I added the comment about no extra tracks and no remastering to inform the potential buyer.
Of course I now see that some people read this as my being churlish.
I suspect that that is why 3 people (at the time of writing) have said that my review was not helpful.

I'm not being churlish. The sets are amazing value and a great way to get 5 classic albums.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Feb 2014 07:59:10 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Feb 2014 07:59:34 GMT
If you want extra tracks from this era from KA, the single cd issues have them. The point is, these original album sets are just that, original albums.

I only caught Kevin live twice, once on the Bananamour tour and then a few years later on the Yes We Have No Mananas tour. (Andy Summers AND Ollie Halsall!!!!) Both gigs memorable and Kevin will never have an equal, he was a one off.

Also, if you can afford to be ten quid lighter in the pocket each month, sign up to Spotify, his extended albums are all there. Just stream from your device to your hi-fi, with one of the fine dacs that are on offer from here. The quality can be somewhat surprising.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Feb 2014 12:48:46 GMT
Glenn Cook says:
Thanks for your informative reply Mr Wood.

I agree with your point that these are the original albums that is what we are buying.
BUT.
Some have all the albums released in the remastered form and
some have the remastered albums along with extra bonus tracks.
For example look at the Jefferson Airplane reissues.
Now my point is this.
I needed that information to make my choice.
Amazon had not listed the tracks so I investigated and found them.

Of course I now see that some people read this as my being churlish.

Thanks for your tips and the advice.
I will pass the info on through the 'review'

Glenn Cook

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2014 18:38:51 GMT
I didn't intend to imply that you were churlish Mr Cook, just pointing out a fact, with respect. :)
Also in my opinion, too many albums that have been re-mastered, end up sounding the worse for it. Just leave as the original was please. That way, we get the original sound and the original content.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2014 19:08:53 GMT
Glenn Cook says:
Thanks for clearing that up Mr Woods.
I had another guy pick up on a comment I said when I wrote a review about the hollies set.

I said that they were in magnificent Mono.....

He rplied that there was nothing magnificent about Mono.

Believe it or not I defended my adjective because a lot of people do no like the original tracks to be 'messed up'.
Everyone has their valid point.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2014 12:45:36 GMT
Last edited by the author on 8 Dec 2014 09:24:35 GMT
Count Arthur says:
Yup I have also noticed that Glenn, original albums series often have bonus tracks. I am mixed about bonus tracks on CDs though, as quite often they put rubbish stuff on but occasionally....

I have to say if they could get the Beeb to publish some of their Grey Whistle Test stuff as bonus tracks that would work very well. Just think of some of the great stuff that boring old Bomber Bob had on there!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Nov 2014 17:18:23 GMT
Glenn Cook says:
Well the remastered sound is often a good thing and any extra tracks are to be welcomed.
Some are excellent.

Agree with you about the live stuff and OGWT.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2014 20:55:57 GMT
It's Wood, not Woods. ;)
Agree, quite often than not, early stereo mixes are inferior to mono. (Beach Boys, Stones, Cream)
ps My original vinyl records of Kevin's, still outshine the newer remixed/mastered cd releases. Played on pretty high end hi-fi though.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Dec 2014 01:49:25 GMT
Sorry about the extra S.
My surname is Cook with out an E because we counldn't afford it on the birth certificate.

I do wonder why 5 people have voted that a track listing s of no use.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.9 out of 5 stars (23 customer reviews)

Reviewer

Glenn Cook
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Location: South Cave, near Hull UK