2.0 out of 5 stars It could be a great printer, but ....., 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Canon PIXMA MG6350 (A4) Colour Inkjet All-in-One Printer (Print/Copy/Scan) 8.8cm TFT 15.0 ipm (Mono) 10 ipm (Colour) Black (Personal Computers)
My initial impression of this printer was very positive. A great printer. A great price. But then the trouble began.

First, inside a couple of weeks, the front panel touch screen froze and despite unplugging the unit for 60 seconds, it failed to come back to life. Amazon sent a replacement.

My replacement had the same problem after a couple of months. Despite being outside the 30-day return period, Amazon agreed to a full refund. Really Amazon, you do excel yourselves all the time, I just love Amazon. Maybe I just got unlucky, but 2 different printers with the same problem? And yet nobody on this forum has reported the problem.

The Canon ink is also pretty expensive and as yet there are no cheap compatible cartridges. The start-up time can be frustratingly long.

I then purchased an Epson XP-750 which is pretty similar. I've only had it a short time but it is looking a better printer. The start-up time is much quicker, print time is quicker, proper Epson cartridges are cheaper and there are even-cheaper compatible cartridges.

Before I shipped up my Canon to return it, I printed a few 4x6 photos so I could compare it with the Epson. (the lack of the front panel doesn't stop printing). I have now compared the pictures side-by-side and the Epson wins by a landslide. I didn't think there would be much in it, but there is.

Summary: Has the potential to be a great printer, but for me reliability, expensive inks and photo-print quality let it down.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Apr 2013 22:29:50 BDT
Adam says:
Unfortunately too late for G. Cooper, but just in case anyone else is reading this who also has the 'screen freeze' fault - there is a firmware update available on the Canon product support page for the MG6350 which says it addresses this issue.
It also claims to quieten the cleaning routine.
I had the same problem with my screen, and after Googling the symptoms, have just updated my firmware from 1.040 to 2.010 (2.010 released March 2013).
Too early to say for sure if it's fixed the issue(s) - I'll report back if I find it hasn't!
TIP: if you are accessing the printer via WiFi, you have to connect it to your PC with a USB cable in order to perform the update. This, and other instructions on how to update are all in the 'How To' folder that downloads with the compressed .exe file.
Hope this is of some help.

Posted on 19 May 2013 19:46:54 BDT
Stefan Totev says:
I share Adam's experience. Once the touch screen froze and it wasn't operational at all, even after restart. I fixed it by unplugging it from power for few hours. And few days ago I searched for a firmware and driver updates and there was this fixing some problems. The noise is really turned down. It is not noiseless, but still - pretty better than before.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Jul 2013 15:56:53 BDT
JMD1 says:
It can be very annoying when a product fails and subsequent replacements do the same however, despite providing excellent results, Epson printers are a non-starter for me. Over the past 15 years I have owned four Epsons and each one ended up with the dreaded clogged print head that no amount of cleaning cycles or cleaning cartridges would clear. Despite being fastidious about doing nozzle checks and cleaning cycles, it always ended the same way..land fill. Eventually I bought an Canon (not this model) and I have been delighted with it. The only downside is of course Canon's notorious excessive ink consumption with or without compatible cartridges. I have absolutely no doubt that Epson plan their early life head failures.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Dec 2013 12:36:44 GMT
Jon Smith says:
I bought the Canon Pixma MG6150 from Amazon. At the very outset, it started its inexorable cleaning cycles. Even when a straightforward scan without printing was required, it would commence a five minute cleaning cycle. I would watch as the Ink cartridges would drain quietly away to zero. The printer recently consumed a complete Magenta cartridge within 24 hours with no colour printing requirement - just some straightforward Mono A4 prints and Scans. The ink is consumed during the incessant cleaning cycles. I have contacted Canon Tech support on several occasions - I can only say they are pretty useless and unsympathetic. I would have expected any self respecting 'Tecchie' to have suggested an RTB on the printer for further investigation. I can only assume this is a 'Sit Norm' for these printers. A great shame since I have, hitherto, been a great fan of the Canon brand.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jan 2014 10:19:38 GMT
edal says:
I have had the Pixma MG3600 and the Pixma MG 4950. In less than an year and a half, both ended with the notorious and totally fatal B200 "printing error". It seems Canon has implemented that short period of usage for its printers just one purpose: "Buy often and do not dare to use non-original cartridges!"

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Mar 2014 13:16:12 GMT
I have had three Canon printers - NOT so far including this one, I'm just on line researching number four! - and will just comment that I never, ever, unplug mine or switch them off at the mains.
If one does switch them off they waste endless amounts of ink on re-starting but otherwise, I find, they don't. So much for energy awareness!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›