5.0 out of 5 stars Huji HS20EXR, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix HS20EXR Digital Camera - (16MP, 30x Optical Zoom) 3-inch LCD (Camera)
Update: 7 Feb 2012:

The recent snow has given me an ooprotunity to test the auto features in what can be more trying circumstances than normal. Superb result and correct exposure - even with some shots taken trough double glazed windows (too cold at minus 4C to go outside at one point).

In mid-January I took a mixture of shots, including panoramas, at a stage show rehearsal. The lighting was not at show level output but the resultant shots, without flash, were still acceptable and received very favourable comment when placed on my website for the show. I also shot a short sequence of HD video using this camera and am pleased with picture and sound quality. One suggestion I would make for action shot video is do not use the video spot metering setting, which causes 'hunting'. Otherwise more than useable as a HD video camera.

The robustness of the camera is fine so far, though who knows what wear and tear over years might do

22 December 2011 - I am updating the review below as I have been able to use all the facilities available on this camera.

First thing I should say is that there are lots of functions to the camera that many may never use - but they are there if you need them. Secondly, it does take a little time and perseverance to become faimliar with the functions and then you can decide which of those you would like to use for the type of photography you wish to indulge in normally.

I have taken a wide range of photos, including using all the panoramic options, and am impressed by the quality of images overall. A little practice should improve anyones use of the camera. I took a series of night sky photos which included the Moon and also Jupiter (images taken include the four major moons) and, although it did take some trial and error shots, am more than pleased with the final shots. I had to experiment with aperture settings to get the right shots, but that is no different to using even a top of the range digital SLR.

I have tried to find negative comment to make and have found one: my old Canon flashgun will not work with this camera. Okay, I am not too bothered about that as it is getting to be rather old and is due to be replaced when finances are avaialble to justify purchasing a new unit, but then I don't do a lot of flash gun photography these days, just mainly natural light (whatever it may be).

I would recommend this camera to anyone who wishes to have a wide range short/long lens and with totally automatic or manual control. I do not suggest this is the best camera in the world, though I would say it probably ranks as one of the best value for money cameras

Previous review:
I have now had this camera for 16 days and can keep the review short by simply saying it is superb.

That may seem a little too short for someone who may be expecting an in depth appraisal, though I feel enough has been posted already, both positive and negative comments, so don't wish to repeat those. I have owned a number of bridge cameras over the years, mostly Fuji, plus I still own a Canon 300D digital SLR with a couple of lenses and ancillary equipment. I am pleased to say that the HS20EXR meets all my requirements for still photography and still some facilities to spare. I have not found it difficult to understand all the facilities available, although I haven't used them all to the full yet. I am sure the opportunities to do so will be presented to me over time.

So far I am very pleased with picture quality in the varied conditions I have used the camera and admit that it does take a little time to get used to the options available. If the complexity of the options is something that is off-putting for some then the simple expediency of leaving in EXR mode should be more than adequate for most situations.

I note some posters have had quality problems with the cameras they received and can only put this down to the 'Friday afternoon production syndrome' and just bad luck. I have had more than my share of those type products over the years so sympathise, however this is a camera well worth persevering with and getting a replacement.

The lack of a paper manual is something I have got used to, particularly with IT products. I don't like it but accept the ecological reasons for not producing a paper consuming item - the on CD manual is 120 pages. At least the manual is on the CD in the package, unlike my recently upgraded mobile phone, for which I had to find it online (and not easily).

I have already given a comment on one query concerning this camera so, for the purposes of clarity for anyone uncertain of what this camera is, I repeat that this is not a digital SLR, it is a digital bridge camera (no direct optical viewing through the lens, just an electronic eyeiece or LCD screen) but don't let that fool you into believing this is inferior in any way. It is in some ways much superior to a mid-range digital SLR and even some high range ones.

I have no hesitation in recommending this camera - only time and usage will tell how robust the camera is.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]