5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 28 July 2010
This review is from: Toshiba DVR20 Digital DVD Recorder and VCR with Freeview (Electronics)
I'm giving this unit top marks. I was looking for a DVD/VHS recorder, but then I thought save some money just get a DVD recorder. When I looked around there wasn't alot to pick from below £200.00 with good reviews. I already had TOSHIBA DVD player which I was very happy with.I ordered the DVR20 after reading reviews for the older version .
Well the unit is big - we are talking Ferguson Videostar - which frankly was a shock. It replaced a freeplayer/dvd player and a VHS recorder, but not a lot of space gained.
The handbook is all in English and is about 50 pages -(its 79!).It takes a bit of reading, but you have to pick the bits you need - which in the end comes down to about 5-6 pages.
Unit sets up easily and freeview works fine.
The handset is 'very busy' and some of the buttons - which are small - could be better grouped, you do end up hunting around a bit.
I practised on a DVD +RW disk a few times - then recorded some old VHS tapes on a +R - no trouble. Maybe I'm stupid I didn't get how to change the recording times on the DVD - once you display a running time keep pressing the button and it changes.
All give a good picture except for the longest - 8 hours, which is a weak vhs quality and I wouldn't use.
Being Toshiba it's a quality item-also region 2 only-does that bother me-no- just buy a cheap (£20.00) no brand player, link it up to you TV, if you have a spare input- problem solved.
Just in case it matters, there are 2 scart sockets on the back- Amazons page seems to say 'A' scart socket.(see update below)

UPDATE - 11/08/2010
If you want to record from another dvd player or video camera you need to connect to the second scart socket - if you have jack plugs you will have to get an adaptor. Then on the remote keep pressing button 2 input/select it will show analog/digital and on the next one, use button 21 to go up or down until you get AV2 that should show you the video camera picture-press record and your away. That covers all my needs with the machine - Still happy with it - it's still big - and I still have to refer to my selected notes each time I use it!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Jul 2010 10:30:26 BDT
J. Dawson says:
Thanks for the review Barry,
It covered all the details about the DVR20 I needed to know.
Best wishes, John.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Jul 2010 17:59:33 BDT
Simon L says:
THanks for the review. I bought this too to record old home videos to DVD. Look forward to it and reassuring that the first revew is 5 stars!

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2010 21:20:29 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 2 Aug 2010 21:21:10 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2010 21:20:53 BDT
felicitas says:
Be glad to know what you think after a week or two as I'm interested in buying this too. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Aug 2010 19:36:22 BDT
Still happy with it - stand by much of what I said-the gouping of the buttons on the remote is poor, but I know where they are now - the handbook is about 80 pages not 50, but again pick out and photo copy the pages you need -to keep them handy. I bought both +rw, to practice on and + r (cheaper) to keet things on. There are downsides, but they relate to dvd recording in general - formating a disk/keeping it clean/ timer over complicated - as are the machines in general - remember some people never got the hang of VHS recording. These issues crop up with all DVD recording machines I've come across - it has a fan that sticks out at the back -although I find it quiet. I only have an old fashioned tv - still get a great picture on it - nothing fancy . End of the day it does what I want, which is why I bought it, - is it going to breakdown next week ? - maybe, but so could anything I buy. 2-3 years will do me, all my videos will be on DVD by then.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2010 18:51:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Aug 2010 18:15:44 BDT
Eric Generic says:
I've just bought one of these, and find the fan far too noisy even in a TV cabinet behind doors. I didn't expect it to have a fan! Even if the machine is turned off, somehow the fan comes back on (including at night) so unless I remember to completely unplug it every time, it's a problem. Also, the clock won't display because of something that happened during the initial auto-setup. I'd be tempted to reinstall it from scratch again, if it weren't for the fan, because everything else about it is so easy to use.

Shame.

Update: Ignore what I said, the machine was faulty! Both the fan and the DVD tray were affected. Hopefully the new one will be okay.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Sep 2010 22:04:03 BDT
Other than the fan sticking out, I haven't noticed any great sound from it -mine is in a cabinet too - so hope the new one will be quiet - although I have read about noisey fans on dvd machines in general.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Nov 2010 21:59:32 GMT
The Doctor says:
If I have my aerial going into a set top box (which is connected to my tv by scart), will just connecting scart leads between the Toshiba and my tv be enough to give me the Toshiba's frreview tuner?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›