3.0 out of 5 stars Standard bread just doesn't fit!, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Breville VTT233 Black 4 Slice Toaster (Kitchen & Home)
Very disappointed as standard size bread doesn't fit in it! We use Hovis medium sliced bread and the top 1 - 1.5cm sticks out the top and never browns (just gets warm!)... and two slices won't fit sideways on either, the toaster just isn't wide enough or deep enough. Apart from that, the bits of the bread it does reach are nice and evenly toasted, and it looks nice!
**update ** I emailed Breville asking if there was any adjustability. Their reply "In recent years due to the many sizes and thicknesses of bread that are now available as a company we have had to accommodate for this by manufacturing various styles of toasters which are suitable for different sizes of bread.
Obviously in your case the unit you have purchased is only suitable for the smaller sizes of bread.If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase we would advise that you return it to place of purchase for exchange for a toaster that better suits your needs."
The only bread that would have fitted in comfortably would have been that Nimble diet bread...!
So now, apparently, I'm supposed to tell Breville what size bread I need to toast, and they will recommend a toaster!
Wouldn't it be nice if they give you details within the product specification, otherwise Amazon, I think you're going to have a lot of 2nd hand toasters full of breadcrumbs coming back your way!
This one will be going back, but how the heck are you supposed to be sure of getting one that your bread does fit in to!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 May 2013 20:08:33 BDT
Thanks for your review, I'm looking for a toaster up to the job of toasting the whole piece too! Did you ever find a suitable toaster?

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2013 09:56:24 BDT
mumoftwins! says:
I stuck with this one in the end as I was honestly losing the will to live and all because of a toaster!... I've found if you put one slice in upright and the one next to it sideways, and then quickly turn the upright slice upside down about half way through, it's just about acceptable! I really don't understand why manufacturers don't make them to fit large slices so that everything fits in... it's not rocket science is it?

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Sep 2013 18:36:46 BDT
Use Plain Bread instead of Pan Bread. You can Buy Mother's Pride Scottish Plain Bread. 1. It's lovely. 2. It's long. 3 it's Narrow. and the big thick "enders" (heels) are great toasted with just plain BUTTER, NOT MARG. It comes in medium cut (red packet) and thick cut (green packet) Manufacturers call it "Batch Bread" and it gets its shape from the Batches sticking together (then pulled apart) in "Batches when baked". Here's a link to what I mean:

If you cannot buy it where you live, then here's a link which I found:

If you buy lots of it and freeze it, it will be worth the 1-2 day courier service to keep it fresh. Or if you live in Scotland, you can disregard all the previous text as you will know what I'm on about anyway and go to the supermarket and buy a loaf.

Hope this relieves your stress and burn fingers, and after some "Ender" (Heel) toast and REAL butter, you'll be hooked.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Dec 2013 23:35:22 GMT
M. Siddiqui says:
are u serious??

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jan 2014 15:23:59 GMT
Yes, he's dead serious. I'm a Glaswegian, and when I go abroad (i.e. outside Scotland) even on holiday, the only things I miss are Plain Bread (that's what we ask for) and Morton's bread rolls - but that's another story.
Our Plain Bread loaf has white sides, a curved very-black top and a flat brown bottom. When it's fresh there isn't a bread to beat it - especially the enders (or 'outsiders' as they are know in my family). If I were to emigrate (unlikely as I'm now 72) I'd happily pay the courier to import them.

Posted on 1 Feb 2014 03:21:03 GMT
I have researched toasters quite a bit and have never found any that take taller bread slices in a vertical position. I only need a 2 slice toaster but have concluded the only way to achive this is by getting a 4 slice toaster but using it as a 2 slice with the bread sideways. I think the reason may be that a tall slice upright toaster would have an unused area of heat element above what they seey as normal processed slices which, apart from wasting heat, might also affect the "ready" censor. Of the four slice toasters this looks to have all I need and at the price of a two slice one - so you may have selected the best option but need to recognise that, for you, it will be a two slice toaster.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Feb 2014 07:18:57 GMT
Luigi says:
Many thanks Duncan, I can't believe two people thought this was unhelpful. It's a positive suggestion with plenty of useful detail.

Posted on 23 Mar 2014 10:26:24 GMT
PS says:
Their message is all but laughable. So one has to pick a toaster to toast one particular type of bread! And if you like to vary on occasion, you'd have to buy several products. Not the best of user policy. The product should fit the customer, not the other way around. Wide berth on this one I will do! Thanks for the info and hope you got your refund.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (318 customer reviews)

Reviewer