5.0 out of 5 stars With the exception of a few duds it's Doctor Who (and just plain television) at its best, 20 Aug 2007
This review is from: Doctor Who - The Complete Series 3 Box Set [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
I got into Doctor Who a bit late in the game. By the time I finished Fear Her the first few episodes of the 3rd series had already aired, so I knew Rose left and was replaced by Martha. I was very very skeptical to say the least. Here's my episode by episode review:

The Runaway Bride: I'd only ever seen Catharine Tate in Starter for 10 (Yeah, I'm American) so I had no idea of her comedy show (or how repititive it was..killed a great thing, imho) so I only knew her strictly as an actress. I really really enjoyed this episode. I think it was refreshing to see a companion stand up to the Doctor in a way that we hadn't seen in a while and honestly wouldn't you be a bit overwhelemed and angry if that happened to you on your wedding day? All in all good Doctor Who 8/10

Smith and Jones: Great fun! A perfect introduction to Martha and a great season opener..! And I don't mind the blue suit at all. The pacing was great, I could've done without the "genetic transfer" but all in all a great episode! 9.5/10

The Shakespeare Code: One of my favorites episodes of the entire show. I'm a massive fan of Dean Lennox Kelly (Mostly because of Shameless) so I was happily shocked to see him play Shakespeare. The story was great as were the performances. 10/10

Gridlock: I didn't care for this episode the first time I saw it but after watching it a second time I found myself appreciating it a bit more. It was great to see Martha finally confront the Doctor and get a straight answer from him. It was also nice to see the Face of Boe again. 8/10

Daleks in Manhattan - I've only watched this episode once and I don't plan on watching it again. I live in NY so I'm biased but Tallulah's accent was way over-the-top, so that was a bit of a turn off for me from the minute she spoke. The story had great potential; it could've been quite epic really. It just felt tired and old and the episode began to drag quite a bit toward the end. Even though I had the second part available to watch right away I gave myself a couple of days to digest what I had just put myself through. 6/10 (which is only so high due to the acting, mostly by David and Freema)

Evolution of the Daleks - Take the pacing of the first part and slow that down by a hundred times and you get this episode. It wasn't terrible..the acting is great, the effects are good, the story had such potential (some moments are great while others fall terribly flat) but it's definitely forgettable. 5.5/10

The Lazarus Experiment - This is when I regained my faith in the series. While it wasn't great it was interesting to have the villian be human. Mark Gatiss was great (as always) as were the rest of the cast. The effects were good considering how complicated Lazarus was designed. All in all a decent episode. 8/10

42 - I know that everyone calls this the "The Impossible Planet" of series 3 but they're not THAT similar. Okay, maybe they are a bit, but the differences that are there are great enough to allow me to enjoy this episode. The story is interesting, the acting is absolutely superb (This is when I finally began to notice just how brilliant David Tennant really is). Once again a bit more of my faith in the series was restored. 8/10

Human Nature - Where do I even begin? This is, without a doubt in my mind, the best Doctor Who story ever written. Everyone is absolutely fantastic, especially Jessica Hynes and David Tennant! I'm used to seeing the former in strictly comedy roles but she is a great dramatic actress! David Tennant completely transformed himself! There was nothing of the Doctor in John Smith. Freema was great as well; she really shown in this episode, I was finally convinced she had what took to be a companion. The Family were brilliant as well. 10/10

The Family of Blood - This is what television should be. Plain and simple. I have never cried so much over an episode of a show in my entire life. The dilemma that John was faced with really got to me. I found myself even more upset when the Doctor reappeared (I just didn't think it was fair, I can't explain it in a short review). By far the best episode of any television show I have ever watched. 10/10

Blink - An amazing episode to follow the previous two with! Sally was a pleasure to watch, very relatable, and the Easter Egg bit is genius! David Tennant stole the last scene with his bow and arrow. The ending is also perfect; just when you think the danger is over..10/10

Utopia - Very very slow moving but the pay-off is well worth the wait. Having Jack back was great! It was also nice to see him back to his old Doctor Who self. I'm just a bit saddened that the Jacobi didn't stay on..though I do think John Simm was great as well. 9/10

The Sound of Drums - Great episode. It was interesting and exciting to see the group on the run as outlaws. The pacing is perfect and John Simm captures that manic insanity the Master now seems to have perfectly. 9/10

The Last of the Time Lords - I love this episode. It drags a bit in the middle but the Scissor Sisters sequence was perfect!! It was interesting and refreshing to see the Doctor stuck in a situation like that. The climax was great as well (if a bit cheesy and I was a little surprised at how no one seemed to care that the President had still been killed..mind you if it was our current President I wouldn't either, but still) but the ending ripped out my heart. But I'm convinced it's not the end of the Master. I just can't wait to find out how the Titanic was able to crash though the TARDIS.

All in all I'd give it a solid 9/10 (the crap episodes were crap but the amazing episodes really redeem it for me).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Jun 2008 18:23:43 BDT
WAY2GO says:
You have said FAR too much. Sounds like you are one of those people who come back from a movie premier and tell who died in the end and whether the hero got away or not... it ruins it for everyone else.

After a review like this one, why buy it??

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2008 12:32:03 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Jul 2008 12:32:19 BDT]

Posted on 6 Jul 2008 16:24:52 BDT
H. Hall says:
This was a very interesting review you wrote. Very informative:)

Posted on 9 Jul 2008 04:02:13 BDT
wdtcrm says:
I am wondering if your DVD player had any problems reading the DVD - as US is Region 1 and England is Region 2 - usually incompatible. Or were/are they? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jul 2008 15:37:34 BDT
Trigger says:
You can buy specific DVD players which play both regions - I believe it's known as Region-Free. Or you can upgrade/modify a regular player to accept all regions, although I'm not even sure if this sort of thing is legal.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Mar 2009 15:37:18 GMT
Customer says:
I bought 2 DVD players for my computer. One is "locked" on region 1, the other on region 2. Haven't had any region related problems. By the way - they were manufactured by LG, and their firmware allows the user to decide which region to use the first time you insert a DVD disk.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2012 12:26:02 GMT
Freudd says:
Er... most people would have seen it anyway. He's just spouting his opinon!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (162 customer reviews)

£69.99 £16.75