1.0 out of 5 stars This is not the One S it is the "One S C2" !!! :@, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: HTC One S Z560E Sim Free Smartphone - Black (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I am absolutely fuming, I received my phone today only to find out they have sent me the wrong handset.

The one advertised, the One S features the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro Krait dual core processor clocked at 1.5 GHz, coupled with the Adreno 225 GPU. On the back of the box of this model it says Model: z520e

However Qualcomm have had a high demand for this powerful processor and hence a shortage in chipsets resulting in HTC downgrading to last years Snapdragon S3 Scorpion dual core processor clocked at 1.7 GHz coupled with the Adreno 220 GPU. This is Model: z560e on the back of the box. Despite it having a faster clock speed on the processor it vastly inferior in performance, and the graphics power of the Adreno 220 is almost half that of the newer Adreno 225 it should have had.

For those unsure about this do a bit of a google.

Amazon are advertising the HTC One S with the 1.5GHz dual core, search "GSMarena" for this.

However the one I received was the HTC One S C2 with the inferior hardware, search "GSMarena" for this.

HTC told all the stores who sell their devices that they were different so they could make the purchaser aware of the change in hardware, however Amazon have clearly not felt the need to tell me. I wondered why the price suddenly dropped down to 250 for a brand new handset!

I am absolutely furious at Amazon for wasting my time, this phone will be going straight back for a full refund. I highly advise people not to buy from them as they will no doubt receive the inferior hardware version as well. They better send me the correct replacement, or if not shortly update their advert on this page.

This is illegal, false advertising that breaks trading standard laws.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Jan 2013 10:56:29 GMT
Rich says:
In hindsight this review reflects badly on the phone, which it shouldn't. It was mainly to draw awareness to people who aren't so tech savvy, up to date with the times.

A few extra things I would like to point out:

I used the phone for two days, it was running Ice Cream Sandwich, android 4.0 I did not experience any of the 'homescreen bug' issue everyone was talking about, however I am not sure if it was ever officially fixed until the Jelly Bean update, android 4.1

Now, all the new phones that have been equipped with the older Snapdragon S3 Scorpion processor can not be upgraded to Jelly Bean! (Yet). The OTA updates are not available, and HTC are yet to release a downloadable firmware to your computer. However with the numbers of these handsets ever increasing, particularly in countries other than USA, HTC ought to get their act together and make it available for the S3 Scorpion version too. But don't buy this phone banking on getting the Jelly Bean update (unless of course you get a z520e model), as it may still be riddled with the homescreen bug that many users giving it 1 star reviews on here are talking about.

If you are thinking "Oh I will just root the device and load on a custom Jelly Bean ROM", I am afraid think again. At current there is no root, and no way to unlock the bootloader for the S3 Scorpion equipped phones. It is by no means impossible, and will happen in months to come. But the reason is when the phone first came out there were only the S4 Krait versions available. So all the friendly developers set about unlocking the bootloader and getting root on them, and there is already a host of custom ROMs available, including an official Cyanogenmod 10 release. Consequently however they didn't fancy going to the effort of 'redoing' all their work for the new S3 Scorpion versions, and not only is rooting and unlocking the bootloader different, the ROMs will be completely different due to the difference in hardware, ROMs will not be cross compatible, and hence completely new custom ROMs would have to be compiled by the friendly developers to work on S3 Scorpion phones.

For those of you who don't have a clue what I am talking about, be it in this comment, or in my original review post, then I highly recommend the phone. Despite it having the inferior hardware it still scored a solid 4000 on Quadrant, and 9000 on Antutu. It is no slouch by any means, just not fast enough to keep up with the phones of late 2012 (which is what is should have been).

The screen is gorgeous despite not being HD. If you are worried about the PPI (pixels per inch) of 256 then think of it this way. Your 1080p 32inch TV only has a PPI of 81! And the latest 55inch 4K resolution TVs costing thousands only have a PPI of 80! Personally I think TV screens have a long way to go before the catch up with the pixel density of smaller screens in phones. We need resolutions of 16K + on the bigger screens! Being a Super AMOLED screen it has very vibrant colours, and much higher contrast ratio than LCD screens of similar quality. This phone is a pleasure to look at and use. Plus the lower resolution only squeezes more performance out of the graphics chip as it has less pixels to power!

I ordered the black model, finish looked great, really smart and high quality feeling. The phone was very heavy in the hand, probably due to the metal casing, but I really like this, it feels like you are holding a substantial piece of kit, not a plastic case with some expensive electrical parts inside.

The preloaded sense firmware was not brilliant by any means, it has a lot of bloatware applications which the average person would never use, however I noticed not to many of them would be running in the background, so the impact on RAM usage wasn't huge. After I had installed about 20 more apps from the play store the phone on average used just over 400Mb out of its max 780Mb of ram. (You never get the whole 1GB). Similarly the hard disk space claims 16GB, but you actually get much nearer to 12GB. However providing the sense firmware doesn't glitch, which I cannot confirm, the average user would get on fine with it, and probably enjoy a lot of its functionality.

For me on the other hand, I can't live without ROOT, some of the apps I use require it, and I'm OCD about removing bloatware and crap that I don't need. Plus after seeing how big a difference custom ROMs can make to a phone I can't live with one that I wouldn't be able to flash new firmware on. Hence why I had to send it back to Amazon.

I have however contacted another seller in the Amazon market place, and he confirmed he had the z520e version, and it is on its way to me in the post. So a proper review may follow shortly.

In summary, both great phones, just make sure you know which one you are getting.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2013 15:05:22 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jan 2013 15:08:33 GMT
AnAnAs says:
Firstly, Thank you Rich for your information about the included processor and I want to let you know that in addition to your great information that the Item model number: 99HRE011-00 (the item model shown in the description)which is must be z520e version and that's why I bought that phone and especially from Amazon EU S.a.r.L. not from any other seller.

I didn't receive mine yet, but definitely I will ask for a replacement to the right phone not to return it as I ordered this phone with 251 pound not to get the wrong one and I hope that they sent the right version without any problem.

I will let you know once I receive the order.

Thanks again for your valuble infrormation.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2013 15:13:15 GMT
Rich says:
I also bought mine directly through Amazon EU S.a.r.L, item model number: 99HRE011-00, and advertised as having the 1.5GHz processor. However I did not receive that version.

The phone is on its way back for a refund as I phoned Amazon and got them to check all their stock, and they confirmed that they only had the z560e version in stock.

I have told them very firmly that they need to update their website as it is still holding incorrect information, I also filled out one of the "update product info" forms explaining where the description was incorrect.

However 2 days later there is still no sign of a change. Except for the fact Amazon are no longer offering the product brand new from themselves, only 'warehouse deals' which are no doubt returns from people who have suffered the same problem as me.

I think you bought yours at the same time as me, when the price dropped to 251, unfortunately I think you will also receive the z560e model.

If you buy from a private seller on Amazon market place I advise you ask them first to make sure they have the correct version in stock.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jan 2013 15:39:24 GMT
AnAnAs says:
I am so disappointed because I know this information before I got the phone and that's what make be afraid before I bought the phone

I think it would be my last time to bought from Amazon EU S.a.r.L (It's the first time to bought from them by the way)

very disappointed from them and i think it wouldn't be enough to just return the phone.

Posted on 14 Jan 2013 15:14:57 GMT
I ordered a 'warehouse deal' phone and after reading your review was expecting a C2 model. On the box it claims to be the initial z520e
model although I cannot identify it from the phone. In the 'about' section all I see is HTC One S and dual processor. It even doesn't state
the Android version.

That said, I'm not really bothered which version I got. I just wanted a good phone and avoid being dragged into a two year contract with
one of the major carriers. And I got it...

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2013 15:29:53 GMT
Rich says:
Well it sounds like you would have been more than happy with the less powerful model, but it sounds like you got the good one anyway! If you want an easy way to check without 'rooting', just download an app called "CPU spy" from google play, its free, and small in size.

Open it up, if the highest frequency it shows is 1512MHz (1.5GHz) then you got the more powerful z520e.

If the highest frequency it shows is 1674MHz (1.7GHz) then you have the less powerful z560e model.

I sent my z560e back to Amazon and now have a z520e and its blazing fast, plays everything you through at it with no lag!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Jan 2013 05:18:51 GMT
Thanks Rich. I was fortunate to receive a nearly new Z520e at a very low price when the C2 was advertised at 251. Its a great phone and I'm very pleased. I idenitfied it with the CPU Spy app you suggested.

Regards

Posted on 1 Aug 2013 21:51:40 BDT
S Sr. says:
I am also very angry that I received the c2 not realising got hustled by amazonHTC One S Z560E Sim Free Smartphone - Black

Posted on 10 Sep 2013 02:08:04 BDT
G. Mason says:
So basically, you are not reviewing the HTC S One? You are reviewing another phone? And you are commenting on Amazon.

Do you think that you should have written your review and given a phone that you do not own only one star?

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Sep 2013 09:56:47 BDT
Rich says:
I was reviewing the phone amazon sent me after purchasing this item, which was the One S Z560E, otherwise known as the One S C2, which at the time of review I did own.

If you check the listing title amazon have now renamed it to "HTC One S Z560E" whereas at my time of purchase it just said "HTC One S" so I naturally assumed I would receive the Z520E along with many others.

The main reason for the 1 star rating is to attract potential buyers attention as to warn them they may not be about to buy what they think they are, and save them the hassle I had to go through.

If you bother to read my first comment on the original post, you will see I gave it a fair review.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.5 out of 5 stars (77 customer reviews)

449.99 155.28