4.0 out of 5 stars Good album.... But..., 22 Oct 2007
This review is from: No World For Tomorrow (Deluxe Edition) (Clean) (CD/DVD) (Audio CD)
Ok, where do I start.... This is a very good album, it does pick up where vol 1 left off, it has some amazing guitar work in it, and lovely melodies and catchy choruses. But I think with this album they relied a little too much on catchy choruses, this isn't as prog as the last two albums, but as one whole album I think it has progressed the most, although the songs within don't have as much variation as previous albums, the album on a whole is very different from anything they have done.... That's probably the thing that I was most dissapointed by, it doesn't have as much variation as the previous two albums. But that doesn't mean it is a bad album... Far from it infact! I definately don't think this is their best album, but it still is a very good album.

Here my review of each song...

The Reaping 10/10 The reason I gave it this rating is because if you view it for what it really is, an introduction, it is an excellant way to start an album. Quite like the gentle, Always and Never.

No World For Tomorrow 10/10 The second The Reaping finishes get ready for your speakers to explode! This is a brilliant track with possibly the best fret work on the album. It is definately one of the heaviest tracks on the album, much like a new Welcome Home, but not as catchy or as powerful, but still a mind blowing track.

The Hound of Blood and Rank 8/10. I don't see what the big hype is about this track. This track isn't bad, in fact it's very good, but it lacks a certain defiancy about it, it's really just a standard C&C song to me, it is catchy, but just because something is catchy doesn't always mean it's good. It has an excellant start but for me I think it was a bit much on the chorus, but it still is a good song. I can't really compare it to any one C&C song, because it's very much different but very much the same to anything they've done before.

Feathers 10/10. This track is one of the best on the album, I think it definately compensates for where The Hound of Blood and rank went wrong. It's very melodic, and has a catchy chorus, and I mean that in a good way. It's very emotional in my opinion. Much like Blood Red Summer.

The Running Free 9/10. I can see why they chose this song as a single, and it works very well as a single. It has a catchy chorus that's hard to get out of your head, and an interesting prog intro and verse(s). I would compare it to The Suffering.

Mother Superior 10/10. Absolutely amazing and epic song. Very emotionally charged and gentle. I don't think they've ever done anything like this before. Absolutely brilliant!

Gravemakers and Gunslingers 9/10. Definately one of the most powerful songs on the record. It has a very definitive sound to it. The only reason I have given it 9/10 is because it pulls cheesy solos every now and again. But other than that it's a brilliant song.

Justice In Murder 8/10. Personally I just don't care for this song as much as the others. There is no particular reason... I just don't care for it much. Some might disagree.

I The Fall of House Atlantic 10/10. This song is very interesting in my opinion. The band have never done anything like this before. Now this isn't an actual song, it's more of an introduction to The End Complete songs. And it works brilliantly that way. It has a very definitive and creepy sound to it. The almost tribal like 'na na na na's especially add to the creepiness.

II Radio Bye Bye 10/10. Personally I think that this song shouldn't be part of The End Complete songs, because this song is more catchy than epic, and these songs are meant to sound epic. But the song itself is amazing, it is very catchy and fun to listen to.

III The End Complete 10/10. This song is as epic as epic can get. It works absolutely brilliantly with the rest of 'The End Complete' songs. It has the feel of 'The Willing Well' songs. Absolutely amazing!

IV The Road and the Damned 8/10. This is a very good song, although, like Radio Bye Bye, it isn't epic for The End Complete songs. It's too emotional and slow. But other than that it's a good song.

V On The Brink 10/10. An absolutely brilliant way to end the album. VERY prog and very epic. I love the way that it follows on with some of the same riffs as 'The Final Cut'. I can also see alot of Pink Floyd inspiration in here as well. Brilliance!

So on the whole, this album is a good purchase. If your a long time C&C fan, this album will take some getting used to. But if this is your first C&C purchase, than you will probably enjoy it very much. But personally for me I think that they will never make another album as good as "In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3", If you are new to Coheed & Cambria I suggest you buy that before you buy this. But then again if you buy all of their albums in order of release you might enjoy it even more seeing how much the band ave progressed since "Second Stage Turbine Blade". But this album is well worth your money. So buy it!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]