1.0 out of 5 stars Ok when working, beware of Technical Support when it doesn't, 16 Oct 2009
This review is from: Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Let's be clear this is a good product when it's working. It would be worrying if in terms of functionality a product from a company as dominant in the market as Norton could not achieve a 4/5 star review. However when you part with your cash for this product you are also purchasing an entitlement to technical support and the quality of this should also be a consideration.

My specific problem was that my Norton 360 2.0 started showing a message that I needed to activate it despite the fact that it had been running for almost a year and still had a month to run on the subscription. When following the activation procedure it told me that it couldn't activate. This problem was not solved by Norton technical support and in attempting to address this by trying to remotely install Norton 360 3.0 they left me in worse position than I had been.

Over a sequence of three evenings totalling about 7 hours of support they not only failed to install Norton 360 3.0 but also wrecked my internet connection in the process so that I couldn't get on line. Despite me telling them repeatedly that the connection problem was due to something they had done their technicians kept attempting to pass the buck to the internet provider as though this was an unrelated, coincidental problem. In one of their last attempts to solve the problem Norton remotely tried to uninstall bits of Norton 360 and asked me to manually delete and rename Norton files. As consequence I was no longer able to use the usual uninstall process or delete any Norton files after this because various names and pathways had been changed. Therefore even though my strong hunch was that it was the residual elements of Norton that were messing up my connection I could do nothing about it. The last technician, a supervisor apparently, said once I could get online they could remotely run the Norton Removal Tool. The way he spoke it sounded like the Norton Removal Tool was something only available to Norton technicians rather than mere mortals.

Fortunately at this point I phoned PC World as I have a Performance Plan with them thinking this was probably going in the direction of a complete recovery/re-format operation. The technician at PC World listened (unlike Norton staff) to the symptoms and taking note that I had working computers in the house advised me to download the Norton Removal Tool (search for it on Google - the top option should be the one on the Norton site), save it to a memory stick and run it on the computer with the fault.

As soon as I ran the Norton Removal Tool and the re-started the computer it instantly connected to the internet automatically as it had always done before.

My advice to any potential buyers of Norton 360 3.0 is that like version 2.0 it is good enough when it's working and you'll have little cause for complaint. However be cautious if contacting the Technical Support Line and be aware of the existence of the Norton Removal Tool as you may need it.

[Add comment]