5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommend getting a copy of this game and kissing your social life goodbye, 13 Oct. 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: XCOM Enemy Unknown (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
First of all let me just say - This game is amazing!!! 2K (Edit: Sorry, apparently I should have said Fireaxis, becuase apprently 2K only published the game, and that really matters to a few people out there) have taken aspects of the original X-Com (an absolute classic in its own right) and introduced a more modern feel to it, producing one of the best strategy/action games I've played in years. I'm a massive fan of Turn Based Strategy games, and whilst they aren't everyone's cup of tea, the way this game has been put together you'd be hard pressed not to have a good time playing it.

The difficulty settings in this game are spot on, and hark back to the days when Hard actually meant Hard and you weren't spoon fed a game from start to finish. Be warned, Normal difficulty will really challenge you, and expect to get absolutely trounced if you leap into Hard or above right from the start.

The graphics are good, and the artistic style of the game really suits the conflict stricken world you find yourself in, where mankind is desperately clinging on for survival against a far superior force. Night time missions are suitably shadowy and sinister, whilst daytime missions show off the detail the developers have gone to creating each specific type of terrain. And the main HQ is represented in fantastic detail too, making you really feel like you have an elite force at your fingertips.

The game pad controls take a little getting used to, but once mastered makes the game a very immersive experience.

All in all I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes their games to contain a bit of of shooting/blowing up aliens whilst also requiring some pretty deep strategising. A LOT of fun.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Oct 2012 01:53:09 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2012 09:46:39 BDT
Runeweaver says:
Firaxis made the game 2k just published it,and I played the original and even further back laser squad and rebelstar,and like alot of people i enjoy this new version,as for dumbing down even Julian Gollop said in a recent interview that Xcom needed to be far more accessible to sell to new players as most people dont read manuals anymore, so the game needs to teach you as it progress, which it does it starts off simple but gets more complex as you progress

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2012 13:22:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Oct 2012 19:02:28 BDT
Disagree with Connolly 100% To slag this game off just because it's not your sort of game only leaves me to ask one question: Why spend £40 of your hard earned cash on something your not going to like? You can only blame yourself for not playing the demo first! I like this game and millions of other people round the globe do so too. This game has taken a big gamble in showing players that a really good game doesn't have to have the best graphics in the world. I think it's fair to say they have succeeded.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Oct 2012 19:31:47 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Oct 2012 19:35:25 BDT
TeddyLaw says:
Thankyou Runeweaver, finally someone who knows what they are talking about. 2K rarely make games they mainly publish them. Think of it as dragons den the publishers EA, Activision, 2K ETC as the dragons and the developers E.G DICE, Microsoft Game Studios or in this case Fireaxis are the people who come in show their ideas and ask for money to make their idea a reality.
And about the game, well its great. Fireaxis have done a great job with it, it has a few problems but they shouldn't be enough to put people.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 16:39:35 BDT
I really don't agree with your opinion D.J. Connolly. I'm really enjoying playing this game, and the general feedback, including almost every review I've read, seems to echo my sentiment. I hope you managed to get a good trade in value when you swapped your copy of the game :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2012 19:26:27 BDT
Runeweaver, I remember Laser Squad very well, i had it on a Comodore Amiga 500! It was a great game for it's time.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Nov 2012 17:23:11 GMT
Proteus says:
Ah yes, I played Rebelstar on the ZX Spectrum for countless hours. I may still have my original cassette tape gathering dust somewhere. Turn-based games aren't action-filled enough for some people, but can be just as engrossing as any other kind of game. Just in a different way. Chaos was another classic from Julian Gollop I played to death back in the day.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2013 18:07:13 GMT
Oh we are showing our ages when we admit to playing games on the ZX spectrum arren't we :) Those were the days of long loading and many times the game crashing and having to reload! target renegade and a few others spring to mind. And I remember Lazer Squad too on Amiga 500 my first turn based game experience; then came UFO enemy unknown also on the Amiga and I never looked back from that moment. When I got my first PC in 1996 it was one of the first games I bought and played it for hours along with Terror from the Deep. Now here we are years later playing the new game. I have it on XBox and have loved it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›