12 of 12 people found the following review helpful
This review is from: Veho VCC-A001-ESP MUVI Extreme/Action Sports Pack for MUVI or MUVI Pro (Personal Computers)
I bought this kit hoping to be able to mount the camera in a variety of situations, but in my opinion this kit is very poorly thought out and the plastic used is very flimsy so won't stand up very well if knocked about.
- The 'clip' mount is exactly the same as the one that comes with the camera already. Probably useful to have as the clip itself is very flimsy, also the spring is weak so it doesn't have much 'grip' power and isn't very secure anyway.
- The 'T' shaped mount (surface, helmet etc) is a little better though it is hard to mount to a curved helmet. Also it is susceptible to vibrations which cause the video on the muvi to break up as the mount wobbles back and forth.
- The ball/socket mount is probably ok for mounting to a car dashboard with velcro or something but again it wouldn't take much of a knock for the camera to move out of its original alignment. Plus you have to use a clip mount with it which again makes the whole rig much less secure and more likely to move about.
- The 'protective silicone skin' is pointless as you can't use it with ANY of the mounts. All you can do is thread a strap through it. Plus it doesn't really offer any protection at all.
- The carry bag is a duplicate of the one already included with the camera.
- The arm strap is an odd design, I see how it is *supposed* to work but with the weak clip mount I can't see how you could usefully mount the camera safely in the correct orientation. You'd definitely want to add a safety lanyard if using this. Plus it's a little on the small side I think.
- The elasticated strap is probably the most useful part - but only if you have a cycle helmet with holes or the design of your helmet means the strap can't ride up (and you don't have a visor to get in the way). You could probably use it just on your head ok.
- The 'velcro' straps are of a weird double sided design which makes them pretty much useless as far as I can see. Perhaps someone else has worked out a way of using them? Please let me know!
This kit would be MUCH better if:
- It didn't duplicate items that already come with the camera itself.
- it included a proper side mounting.
- and/or a proper 'bar' mounting (yes I know there's one available separately).
- and/or a tripod screw thread mounting.
- proper velcro straps would be far more versatile.
- The crocodile clips actually had some 'bite' to them and weren't made of cheese.
If you check out the web there are lots of people making up their own custom mountings for the muvi. This kit doesn't really work if you're trying to mount to a large helmet or one with a visor that comes up over the top. I think Veho should really go back to the drawing board with this, and ask people who partake in 'action sports' what they really need as a mounting solution. It's a shame as the camera is really small and neat. I'll have to devise my own mounts as none of these really work for me.