4.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, 9 April 2013
This review is from: Pandemic (Toy)
Received this recently as a gift to myself from my birthday money.
Took the gamble with the whole misprinted board thing, but mine had the Sao Paulo - Lagos link. So I reckon the misprints are very few and far between now.
Sadly my copy took a while to get to me, but that was mostly due to the snow disruption I think.

I've played the original version before only a couple of times. But friends have assured me that a few of the subtle changes are decent improvements.
The most obvious differences to me are the appearance. But my friends have noticed the changes with some of the roles and a few other things.
Appearance-wise I think the board looks and feels far better. The quality is a definite improvement. I'm not quite sold on the new smaller plastic blocks which represent the 4 viruses. But I can see why some people like them. I think I prefer the wooden blocks. But I can see that the size of the old wooden blocks did cause issues with blocking the names of the Cities on the board. This seems to happen less now when we play with the new plastic blocks.
For me I would prefer to have the Research Stations painted. But then, what colour would they painted them so as not to be the same colour as player pawns or viruses. I'm seriously tempted to pain them myself, just because I don't like the clash of painted wooden pieces with plastic virus blocks and then unpainted wooden Research Stations. I would've preferred a more universal "painted wood for everything" look.
But all the pieces are certainly functional and doesn't in any way affect the way the game plays, which in reality is of course the main concern. But if you're fussed on aesthetics, then these sorts of things could have you constantly scratching your arm until it bleeds, rocking backwards and forwards, mumbling to yourself.

As for the game itself, I've always enjoyed Pandemic. I love the gameplay, and the cooperative aspect of the game. I do think there should be more cooperative games out there. I do think this game needs to be played 2-3 times before you finally start to remember all the different ways your pawns can move around the board, and are able to devise game strategies according to your role. The first couple of times you play is hindered slightly by having to learn the mechanics as you go whilst trying to devise a strategy that enables you all to win.

Overall, I'm pleased I've finally got myself a copy of Pandemic. I love this game, and how it brings people together to argue (discuss) strategies to collectively win.

Buy it, and save the world.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]