ARRAY(0xad0de384)

5.0 out of 5 stars A new and very welcome direction, 9 Sep 2012
This review is from: Tom Swan and the Head of St George Part One: Castillon (Kindle Edition)
I am familiar with Cameron's writing from Killer of Men, which is an astounding novel written with feeling and depth, and I am aware of his work being a sweeping set of different series all set within the mileu of Ancient Greece. Thus it came as a bit of a surprise to me to discover that he had branched out with a series of short e-books based in the 15th century. I have to admit to having been intrigued enough that I bought Tom Swan pt1 and shuffled it into my reading pile (it's only short, and I read it in one night so it caused no backing up of books.)

The style of Tom Swan is very different from Cameron's other work, I would say, though that is no bad thing and it suits the serialized adventure fiction type of book that this is perfectly.

The thing that struck me most about this work was the simplicity of the story and the plot and the humour and real humanity injected throughout. Too often historical fiction takes itself far too seriously it can be a real tonic to punctuate the deeply heart-rending or tense pile of books in my reading list with something light, enjoyable and exciting like this.

I have to say that I had no idea what the story was about, and still I have not read the description of the book or the sequels. The title intrigued me and, while I hate giving spoilers in my reviews, I have to say that I've reached the end of part one and still have no idea of the relevance of the title! I am therefore dying to read part two and dig deeper.

The characters in this story are realistic and among the most engaging in anything I've read - especially Alessandro, who has leapt into my top ten supporting characters of all time. The plot rattles away at an excellent pace that never leaves the reader wanting.

Quite simply, this book is a stunning piece of writing and I think it would be a complete waste if the potential reader passed it up at the wonderfully low price it sells at. I for one will continue to read the rest of the books and hope Cameron's planning on taking the series past three books.

Well done Mr Cameron for taking a chance on a new era and a whole new style of book and nailing it perfectly.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]