5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nifty, 20 May 2012
This review is from: A1CS FUSION5 Tablet PC - 10.1" Screen - Android 4.0 ICS - 1GB RAM - 8GB STORAGE - Capacitive 5-Point Touch Screen - Supports BBC Iplayer.
Well I have to say that I am impressed. This is not an ipad, but it is good enough and very useful. I've been using an ipod touch for some time. Was going to get an ipad but quite frankly lack of flash and having to use iTunes really put me off. I got this because I thought, for that price it's worth a punt.

The basic device is fine. I've never used android before so it took a couple of days to get used to it, but it's just like any OS, once you get used to it it feels natural.

Battery life isn't great. Probably about four hours. But that's OK. The ipad is four times the price.

What I didn't expect is the rather natty little keyboard case.

I got it to protect the device. It seeemed good value. For about 16 pounds you get a case with a built-in keyboard, you also get a stick-on screen protector and stylus.

Forget the stylus- it doesn't work! Also, the magnetic strap on the case doesn't work. And the screen protector doesn't fit (it's too large)! In fact I wish that I hadn't taken the factory-finish screen guard off. And the manual is written in Chinese English!!!

But I'm really not complaining. Why?

Because the built-in keyboad is really nice. It plugs into the larger of the two USB ports on theside of the machine. And it works well.

And then I thought "I wonder what woould happen if I put a USB hub into the port and connected the keyboard plus a mouse?"

Guess what! I now have a working mouse. It seems Android supports mouse control.

So, in effect I have, for just over 174 punds with delivery plus the case, a very useful netbook which, when detached from the case, is a pretty good tablet computer, which feels natural because you can use it with a mouse (always feels like I'm more in control with a mouse).

But also, the touch interface is natural and fast. This is a responsive little machine.

At that price, I'm really not complaining.

Mind you, if you don't fancy the case then I suspect that a standard keyboard would also work (haven't check this though because I don't seem to have one anymore). The advtange of the case is that it props the screen up at an angle like a laptop would.

Now, there is some keyboard lag if you are a fast typist.

But HONESTLY. This is really nice.

If, like me you are thinking "I really fancy an ipad, but it's just too expensive and I can't even use it as a USB stick!' then get this.

By the way, I wrote this review on it.

And you know what's also good?

Android takes minimal time to boot up from a true power down, and nothing to burst into life from sleep mode. Whereas my PC now takes about five min utes before I can even check my email.

[Add comment]