5.0 out of 5 stars I'm picking up good vibrations, this is giving me excitations, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Braun Series 7 799cc-6 Wet and Dry Electric Foil Shaver with Clean and Charge Station (Personal Care)
If you're considering buying top-of-the-range Braun's 799cc shaver, the chances are that you're also looking at the high-end offerings from other manufacturers, probably Philips and Panasonic. I considered these and a few others before eventually settling on the Braun, mostly because I wanted a return to a foil shaver after experiencing a few in-growing hair problems when I switched to a rotary, and the 799 was the most readily available in my neck of the woods.

If you don't feel like reading the whole of this review, I'll cut straight to the chase. Is the 799cc a good shaver? Yes, very. Is it as a close as a blade? No, but it's closer than any other shaver I've had. Am I glad I bought it over the others I was looking at? Yes, and the others would have to be pretty good to beat it.

The 799cc is typical Braun - a solid, and reassuringly but not unpleasantly heavy, half-plastic / half-rubber gadget with a combined power button / indicator light on the front with two buttons on either side to change the intensity of the shave. There's also a non-backlit LCD on the base of the shaver that gives a segmented indication of the remaining battery level and the hygiene status of the shaver (more on that later.) All told, it's a fairly pleasurable thing to behold and to hold, if perhaps somewhat weightier than my old rotary; the rubber casing does, at least, make it quite easy to grip hold of, even with wet hands.

If the shaver is pleasant to hold, then it's equally good at shaving. I came to the 799 fresh from a long period of wet shaving, made necessary because my last shaver had a tendency to cause in-growing hairs. Understandably, my skin took some time (about a week) to get properly used to the new shaver and the shaves it gave in that first week weren't exactly brilliant. But I persevered and the second week was much better, with much closer and much less tender skin afterwards.

In most respects the 799 outshines my old rotary, especially when it comes to the tough stubble above my chin and around my mouth and even the hairs on my neck. I've found that stretching the skin in these areas is more important than before, to let the foil really get to grips with this short hair, but the result is very good; not quite blade-close, but closer than any other electric shaver I've used. Where the 799 does struggle slightly is with the longer hairs around my sideburns, that my old rotary coped well with. I haven't used the 799 with shaving foam or in the shower as I really don't see the need when the dry shave is so good.

The 799 incorporates Braun's tech formerly known as Pulsonic, which makes the shaver vibrate like it's filled with angry bees. This, supposedly, makes the hairs easier to cut by stimulating them into lifting up above the skin. It's a slightly odd sensation at first and one that takes some getting used to, particularly if you have sensitive skin, but the good quality of the shave means that it is, at least, probably working quite well. Just note that you can't turn the vibrations off, but you can lower their intensity using one of the buttons on the front, although even on the weakest of the three settings it's still very noticeable.

Also in the box is the latest variant of Braun's Clean and Charge system, a dock into which the shaver is placed for (in case you hadn't guessed) cleaning and charging. I've used an older version of the C&C system in the past and have found it to be probably the best of its kind, the one with the 799 being something of an incremental evolution, as opposed to a complete re-thinking, of the old one. To use it, you simply drop the shaver into the slot on the top of the C&C after a shave, the system analyses how much of a clean is required (economic, normal or intensive) based on the 'hygiene' status indicator on the shaver's LCD, and then you just push the 'on' button on the front and let the system do its thing. An intensive clean takes something like 40 minutes to do, including active drying to dry the head afterwards, and once finished the dock charges the shaver so it's ready for its next use. There's also a super-fast, 25-second clean option if you only to give the shaver a quick going-over, which is quite handy for everyday cleaning, as long as you don't rely on it too often as it doesn't give as good a clean as the other options.

The only slight negative, but necessary, point with the C&C system is the cost of refills, although it's worth it for the benefits of a clean and sterile shaver. The refills contain an alcohol mix for extra cleansing of the shaver head, which may irritate those with more sensitive skin, but mine is fairly sensitive and I've never had a problem with it. The 799 is totally waterproof, so if you don't like the idea of using the C&C you can always wash the shaver head under the tap, although if you do this you'll miss out on the benefits of the system automatically oiling the shaver head as it cleans.

As I said at the beginning of this review, I chose the 799cc over shavers from several other manufacturers and it's a decision I don't regret. Rotary shavers give me an equally good shave but at the price of nasty in-growing hairs, and this was something I was keen to avoid in the future. The Braun is a tech-lover's shaver, with enough gadgetry built in to satisfy even the most tech-hungry bloke, and I'm hoping that no more in-growing hairs will be a pleasant added benefit.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]