1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful and Terrifying, 22 Aug 2007
This review is from: One Chance (Audio CD)
Having been forced to listen to this album whilst at work in the shop, I feel moved to try at least to convey the agony it put me through. If this passage of text does begin to resemble something akin to therapy, rather than a review, then I can only apologise.

I was taken on a rollercoaster ride of emotions listening to this album, ranging from fury so intense that it made my hands shake, to despair so crushing that I had to make desperate efforts to hold back tears - I was, after all, at work in a shop. I promise, I swear to God that I try to hear the beauty in any music I listen to, but I completely failed with this album.

For me, It's that most tasteless of things - pop music with grandiose pretentions of being serious art. It achieves all of the crass, over egged faux sentimentality of pop music, but with all the fun sucked out. From what I could tell, it's basically a Boyzone album with a better singer. It even comes complete with hideous boy band style climactic key changes and Potts gushing all over it in frequent fits of astounding self-indulgence. To my ears it was somewhat lacking in elegance, to say the least.

The songs are generally horrifyingly soppy arrangements of the same old boring standards that always grace such albums. There is the particularly terrible cover of Everybody Hurts by R.E.M., too. This, a song that represents an outrageously tedious and monotonous band at their most outrageously tedious and monotonous, has been somehow made yet worse by slowing it down and chucking it to some homophonic strings, whilst Potts triumphantly bellows out the melody (in Latin, presumably to make sure that it is super-duper pretentious enough to fit with the rest of the album) in a way that is surely totally inappropriate, given the lyrical content of the song.

The singing, as has been reported, ain't great. His voice could have all sorts of potential for all I know, but it is blatantly undertrained. He struggles with a lot of what he has to sing and he sounds underrehearsed, not that that's particularly surprising, since it seemed as though there was a gap of about twenty minutes between him winning Britain's Got Talent and the album being released. There are moments on this album that, through a combination of nasty arranging and not yet properly refined singing, manage to redefine the word ugly.

Luckily, the trial didn't continue for three weeks for me, as it did for poor ekinord - my boss took pity on me after an hour or two, and we put some John Williams guitar music on instead. That dude can PLAY!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]