5.0 out of 5 stars When Westerns ruled!, 28 Jun 2011
This review is from: The Virginian - Complete Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
From time to time I add books or DVDs to my Amazon basket and mark them "save for later" being unsure whether I really want to buy. Then later (sometimes much later) usually during a bad day at the office I give in to temptation and end up buying the CD or DVD not sure if I'm doing the right thing. The end result is that there are occasions when the DVD or CD arrives I end up wishing I'd pressed "delete" rather than "move to basket".
Anyway - on this basis I recently ordered Series 1 of "The Virginian" - there it was resting in my basket and I thought - why not? - and ordered it and it duly arrived the next day.
So am I pleased with the DVD's - or has nostalgia let me down? Well I'm pleased to report that "The Virginian" is just as good as I remembered - really superb. I've just reached my sixtieth birthday and remember the fifties and sixties when Westerns reigned supreme on BBC and ITV. I have fond memories of "Champion the Wonderhorse" and "The Lone Ranger" for children and so many great series for adults - "Rawhide","Wagon Train","The High Chaparral" etc. But for me "The Virginian" was the biggest and best of them all - great stories, great characters,and the lure of the American West. James Drury as The Virginian and Doug McClure as Trampas were the classic buddy combination with some amazing supporting actors.
So far I have only watched a few of the thirty episodes in the pack (great value at about £1 per 72 minute episode)and they have been every bit as good as I recalled. Sometimes nostalgia doesn't let you down!
It was a mystery to me why "The Virginian" was lost in the vaults - well now it's back and ready to be enjoyed again.
If like me you remember it in its heyday then buy these DVDs - and when the titles roll with James Drury,Doug McClure and Gary Clarke riding together to Percy Faith's haunting theme tune the years fall away and you are back in time at Shiloh and the good guys and the bad guys of the Old West.

[Add comment]