2 of 3 people found the following review helpful
MUSIC IN THE MODULE WORLD,
Verified Purchase(What is this?)
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
First of all,let me give an explanation of my value for money grading for this album,whwn i bought this release it was priced at £12.00 and now just four weeks later it is £16.99,just a small point,i know,but a £4.99 rise in a month is a bit much.
Since signing to ECM Nik has produced some challenging music that can be difficult to listen to,the sound csn be incredibly powerful compared to his pre ECM releases,which tended to be more basic.
1) Module 41......16.38 Kicks the whole thing into gear with a treated piano and bass extraveganza that bodes well for the rest of the set,this is hugely enjoyable and impressive,recorded in Lorrach
2) Module 35......11.31 is s more funky feature with more syncopations then you can shake a cat at,recorded in Liepzic.
3) Module 42......8.09 recorded in Vienna,this piece is more melodic than previous tracks and more piano based
4) Module 17...... 8.58 this was recorded in Tokyo and is well up to standard.
5) Module 22......14.45This track hailes from a concert in Amsterdam,need i say more,there is some magnificent bass playing on this track.
1) mODULE 45.......13.11 live in Mannheim,starts of like "Money" by Pink floyd then developes into an exhibition of musiacl experimentation,brilliant stuff!!
2) Module 48.....8.37 live in Gateshead, a delicate and more whimsical track that is absolutely beautiful.
3) Module 47......13.11 another track from the Mannheim concert,etherial electronics abound on this track which at first are quite ambient,but as usual with NBR tings are not as they seem,with thiw metronomic sounding tune.
4) Module 55 .....10.00 from Salzou.yet anothe mesmerising performance,grings this album to an end.
Whatever the price,this is a magnificent album,fyll of power and improvisation,well worth its five star rating.
RECORDED LIVE IN LORRACH,LIEPZIG,WIEN,TOKYO,AMSTERDAM,MANNHIEM,GATESHEAD,SALZAU BETWEEN 2009/2011,
RELEASED IN 2012
CD ONE .....60.03
NIK BARTSCH.....PIANO,FENDER RHODES
SHA,,,,,BASS CLARINET,ALTO SAXOPHONE
VALUE FOR MONEY ££££
BEST TRACKS......MODUE41/MODULE 35/MODULE 17/MODULE 22/MODULE 45/MODULE 48
PACKAGING......JEWEL CASE WITH 20 PAGE BOOKLET AND SLIPCASE.
A CONTENDER FOR ALBUM OF THE YEAR