3.0 out of 5 stars Some good things...but some glaring errors!!!!, 17 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats (Paperback)
The basic premise of this book, and its claims are good; it is interesting reading, and all good advice.
The recipes are a little simplistic for us, but some good ideas we will take.
However, the dreadful ignorance regarding infant nutrition is inexcusable.
No concocted formula comes even close to mothers milk - NOT CLOSE!!! Mothers' milk is a living food with stem cells and adapts and responds to baby at each feed!!! No formula can do that!!
And, the optimal is not six months for a year to feed a baby, but at least 2 years, and then longer as is mutually desirable. I quote the World Health Organisation.

So, full marks in general, but with 0/10 on infant feeding!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jan 2012 19:58:40 GMT
retrocheeky says:
What? From what I just read in the preview, the author is saying that low fat infant formula is unhealthy, the implication being that high-cholesterol mother's milk IS healthy. From what I know of the Weston A Price Foundation, I imagine they would recommend mother's milk every time.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Feb 2012 19:03:14 GMT
Serpicon says:
World Health Organisation? Who recommend poisoning our water with fluoride and now if they have their way, with statins? Read up on the manufacture of the WHO recommended low-fat spreads. If you do, I'll wager you'd never let the stuff near your home let alone your lips!

Posted on 12 Apr 2012 11:14:35 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2012 13:45:54 BDT

Posted on 29 Apr 2012 19:09:00 BDT
I believe the infant formula was as an alternative to formula milk not breastmilk. The Weston Price foundation are big supporters of breastfeeding and it goes without saying that its the best.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 19:57:56 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2012 22:13:42 BDT

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 07:35:15 BDT
I agree about the book's treatment of infant formula. I think it far too readily suggests if you get a bit sick of feeding (or that old nonsense about 'not enough milk') then to go ahead and use the formula. On the other hand, the recipes included may be a better alternative that commercial formula and it is simply reality that this is what most people use. Perhaps it just needs to include a firmer stance that this is a last resort measure only. I do certainly applaud the stance on delaying weaning and solid feeding as this is almost always started way too early.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Nov 2013 22:28:48 GMT
Francisca says:
As far as formula or no formula goes I think that people forget a small but important detail: mother milk is not the perfect food for a baby, it should be but it isn't and it hasn't been for a very long time! Are you all forgetting all the pollution in our bodies? As far as I am concerned a good formula, the best they can come up with would be a great compromise! The world is the way it is and no romantic notions is going to change it, sorry! Pass all the pollution in our bodies to our babies is not a very good thing but you hardly ever hear anybody talk about it! Yes, mother milk was everything you talk about, but a very, very long time ago! We have to deal with the world we live in, not some far gone romantic ideas! My children had formula because of lactose intolerance and the fact that they couldn't have my milk didn't bother me too much, what bothered me was the advice to feed them soya milk!

Posted on 23 Dec 2013 12:19:52 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Dec 2013 12:29:51 GMT
Anne says:
Hi there, thanks for your review. I have not read the book, but I'm considering buying it, that's why I'm going through the reviews. Also I have no children (yet). Still, I just wanted to refer to research claiming you should actually stop breastfeeding at 4 months-old, otherwise you will end up passing over too much of the chemicals and toxins accumulated in your body (in all of us) through the milk. Found this research interesting & thought you would find it interesting too.

see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448391/

Also there's a book available on the topic at Amazon.uk: "Chemical Contaminants in Human Milk" of the authors Allan Astrup Jensen & Stuart A. Slorach.

Regards