5.0 out of 5 stars loved it loved it loved it, 31 July 2006
This review is from: The Pillars of the Earth (MP3 CD)
I dont care what the rest of you think, but I loved this book. I am a hardcore fantasy reader and was really loath to start this 1076 page monster. But a 2 week holiday with the kids loomed ever near, and I decided that this was the perfect thing to while away those long evenings.

We went camping in Southern France, it was hot, the van was cramped and we had no food as we were miles from a shop. Every time I felt sorry for myself I started reading about 12th century life and thanked my lucky stars, looked around and felt gratefull that raping and pillaging were no longer a problem and my only real worry was getting 5 kids ready for bed in less than 2 hours!

If you love medieval history, romance, factual events and treachery all woven together with fantastic characterisation, great descriptions and dialogue then this is the book for you. It depicts the life and times of the dark ages in a very real way, nothing is romanticised. The rawness of the descriptions was a refreshing change and I feel I could build a cathedral from scratch thanks to Follets excellent descriptions. (which are not boring but facinating)

It describes the lives of the aristocracy, peasants, royalty and follows the individual lives of about 5 various people including a monk Father Philip (for 63 years of his life_)and about some other very different characters who's lives and destiny's are all irrivocabley interwoven.

The opening paragraph describes a hanging in the most brutal way, and the descriptions of the behaviour and attitude of the observers just had me gripped from the begining.

I was so impressed that the minute I got home I was on the net trying to verify some of the facts therin. And sure enough it was all there. Follett has taken key moments in medieval british history and woven around it 3 dimensional characters which just bring it all to life.

I'm now off to buy some more from this time period!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Mar 2009 08:25:42 GMT
Joseph says:

Posted on 5 Mar 2009 08:26:38 GMT
Joseph says:
Never read a history fiction like this before. Usually books for work (Christian) or thrillers like Patterson & Grisham.
Only ever read one Follett before but this wow!
I was browsing the Asda books trying to waste a few minutes & The Pillars of the Earth was in its cheap section - I think £4.
It is such a fantastic book. I agree with a comment I read on here about it - when you aren't reading it you dream it!
What a triumph!

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2009 12:59:41 BDT
Hamstead says:
Other books set in this time period that are in print include When Christ and His Saints slept by Sharon Penman and A Place Beyond Courage by Elizabeth Chadwick. I can't immediately think of anything else that's in print that's set in the period of the Anarchy itself. Ellis Peters' medieval Brother Cadfael mysteries are set in this period but are whodunnits with a bit of history chucked in rather than having a broader sweep. Excellent read though.

Posted on 8 Jun 2010 17:15:58 BDT

Posted on 19 Nov 2010 08:16:16 GMT
Paul S says:

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jul 2011 14:20:55 BDT
NARV says:
I don't think the reviewer meant it, but I agree - that comment jumped out at me.

Posted on 1 Nov 2013 09:56:16 GMT
L. J. Dell says:
Thanks, brilliant review - I'm going to buy it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (894 customer reviews)

Used & New from: £111.97