5.0 out of 5 stars addictive play, but duel requires two cards, 4 April 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Bejeweled Twist (Nintendo DS) (Video Game)
Bejewelled is one of those games that is extremely addictive and one that I first found about 10 years ago on Sky Active Games (at that time it was one of several free games that were available). Bejewelled is a game where you move a single coloured counter to make a diagonal or horizontal line of 3 or more counters of the same colour. Bejewelled twist is different.

I first came across this concept when playing Plants vs Zombies on PC (Plants vs Zombies - Game of the Year (PC CD)), now also available on the DS (Plants Vs Zombies (Nintendo DS)), and I was hooked. It was the one game that after completing it I kept returning to once I'd opened the special games section.

In Bejewelled Twist you have the same board as with Bejewelled but rather than move a single piece horizontally and vertically in order to make a group of 3 or more of the same colour. You must manipulate them in squares of 4 gems at a time by turning them clockwise. You can turn any set of 4 gems any number of times in order to produce your line.

This version is a little easier than the one on my pc version of Plants vs Zombies in which you can only move if there is a line to be made.

There are 4 games for solo play

- "Classic" - play and complete each level, there is a cut scene between each level which you can skip (fortunately).

- "Zen" - the only other game which is open when you start. This is not what I expect from a Zen game. Usually you just keep playing the same board until you run out of moves or switch off. With this, however, you play a level and then a new board appears (without any cut scene). This causes a degree of annoyance because just as you hit a run the game is over.

- "Blitz" - reach level 10 on the classics in order to open this game. This is a time and a five-minute game where you must try and get as many points as you possibly can while defeating the bomb gems, or locked gems, and doom gems.

- "Challenge" - this second or locked solo game can be opened when you reach the 3rd rank on the classics mode. This is the game I have played the most and the one that seems more like a Zen game. The object is to get to the specific multi-gem specials requested. This is not as easy as it seems because you are given to gems that you must get in one move. Achieving this to gem combination can take quite a long time depending on how you play. The second challenge to me nearly 3 hours to complete but I wasn't playing to achieve the gem combination - that happened by accident.

Only Classics and Zen of both open at the start of the solo round, the other two must be opened by playing the Classics game.

The game comes with language options, these are: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish and Dutch. You select your language at the start screen.

There are only three possible safe slots available to the player, so if more than one person plays that could be confusion as to which slot belongs to which player.

There is an incredibly easy to follow "How to Play" section within the game itself as well as a guide within the instruction booklet - English instruction starting on page 37.

I must admit that I found the music incredibly annoying, but fortunately you can turn it off by using it the "Options" menu

I can live without the repeated flying from planet to planet between levels in classic mode, however, the manufacturers appear to have put some thought into this because you can "skip" the cut scenes and get back to the play quite easily.

My major gripe, however, is with the multiplayer option. My sister and I had hoped to play the "Battle" mode over this last weekend, unfortunately, we could not. In order to play the duel games each player will be required to buy a copy of the game. This appears to be becoming the norm within the DS games.

When my sister and I first started using our DSs we had games where you can wireless connect and play a small game (eg, 42 All Time Classics - 42 All Time Classics (Nintendo DS) - Mario Kart - Mario Kart DS (Nintendo DS) - Big Brain Academy - Big Brain Academy (Nintendo DS)) from a single card, now it appears that the money grabbing companies have seen her way of getting two people to buy two games - thereby doubling their sales.

What I found useful with the wireless connection from a single card versions was that I got a taste of the game without having to borrow it, and if I had fun as a duel I would then go out and buy a copy of the card for myself - whereas if I thought the game was boring or not my kind of thing I could avoid it. With the single card what happens is one of us buys a game and the other one borrows it, the results being that we are unlikely to buy the second copy of the game. So in a way the manufacturers have done themselves out of the next sale by trying to force us to buy two copies a game that we may or may not like.

Bejewelled Twist is easy and fast to learn, very easy to play (just tap with your stylus and watch for the gems exploding) and it is an extremely addictive game. I've been playing it since it arrived on Friday, and it's now Monday evening with just a couple of hours off for sleep.

This is the sort of game that will make time fly when stuck in the hospital waiting room, or in a hospital bed, or if I just want something to take my mind off things for a few hours. Shame about the duel play though.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Jan 2012 11:06:40 GMT
Mr D.K Lind says:
Excellent review! Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2012 02:37:23 GMT
Su says:
I'm so glad you found it helpful

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2012 08:30:14 GMT
Mr D.K Lind says:
Are you still playing it?

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2012 22:41:27 GMT
Su says:
Yes I am still playing it.

It's strange but I was looking at my games over Christmas and suddenly realised that such as Layton I've played once and then put them away, where as games like this I've had out over and over again. That's why I decided to start the Layton series again to see if they hold up on a second playing, or if the enjoyment is mainly with the first play.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2012 00:12:21 GMT
Mr D.K Lind says:
They Layton games have been praised by almost everyone but to me they just seem a little bit... bland. I am pre-ordering the new Layton for my 3DS though so I'm hoping that one will draw some sparks.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2012 00:10:49 GMT
Su says:
One of the problems is that the games are a series of puzzles which are joined together by a story which you have no interaction with.

The puzzles are interesting - some easy, some medium and some you want to bang your head against the wall because it is much less painful than trying to work out what exactly you've missed. It is the fact that you can't just play the puzzles and get the gold hat - you have to find all the coins too.

I haven't invested in a 3DS yet. The people I know that have one and they all say that they have ended up turning the 3D down. What do you think of it?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jan 2012 08:01:08 GMT
Mr D.K Lind says:
I watched some clips on Youtube and it didn't look all that inspired to me. Bland graphics and wall of texts that nobody really wants to read.

I wrote a review on the 3DS here on Amazon, give it e a read when you have the time.
The 3D function is a double-edged sword; it's sometimes difficult to find the "sweet spot", and if I'm tired the stereoscopic effect make my eyes hurt. But it can also give the game nice depth and incredible atmosphere when done right. It all depends on the game.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2012 01:16:26 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jan 2012 01:19:12 GMT
Su says:
I've looked at Zelda, but I've never tried it. It's funny that it's never occurred to me to look at YouTube for clips to see what the games I'm thinking of buying are like. You've given me a new source of information, thank you.

I did borrow a friends 3DS when I was in hospital about 6 months ago and played RE Mercenaries on 3DS - it was just the Mercenaries extra game from RE4 and RE5, rather than a RE Deadly Silence DS game.

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence was the original RE game on a portable form.

Mercenaries is literally running around a limited area and shooting anything that looks like an enemy while trying to collect ammo, health, extra time and building up the longest chain of "kills" - I was a little disappointed, and my friend gave me the game to keep (even though I don't have a 3DS) so he was definitely disappointed.

I only played it for a short time before I returned to my beloved DS and games like this one, 42 All Time Classics, Brain Academy, Brain Training, and my 2 Assassins Creed DS games and Plants Vs Zombies game.

The unfortunate thing is, due to illness, I have spent quite a lot of time in hospital, in doctors' waiting rooms, and waiting to have blood tests, scans, etc. So my DS has seen an amazing amount of wear ... and it's still going strong (touch wood). It is these "puzzle" type games that I reach for when I am packing my bag. rather than the longer play games like Layton.

These tend to be the games which allow some variety of play, rather than the long winded Layton games. I believe if I hadn't of been so ill I would never have realised that these "puzzle" games were my favourites, nor would it have occurred to me to think about it until we started to "talk".

I see these games (and writing my reviews) as a way of keeping my brain functioning when I would otherwise be sat staring at the walls like a zombie. Prior to this illness I would have been using the DS to keep occupied on the daily train journeys, and I would probably have picked similar types of multi-faceted games without really thinking why.

I know that this is probably a stupid question, but can you play DS games on the 3DS or not?

You say that the 3DS can make your eyes hurt. I was given a second hand copy of Sight Training for the DS at Christmas. I like the "games" but the relaxation section (which you are supposed to do once you have taken the "eye test") makes my eyes hurt, rather than relaxing them they feel strained (something that they didn't feel before I did the relaxation exercises).

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jan 2012 08:49:48 GMT
Mr D.K Lind says:
YouTube is a terrific source of information for just about anything, a lot of people just go there to have a laugh at someone or watch music videos. New videogames are usually being reviewed by several different sources (websites and individuals) and if you are stuck with something in a game there are usually good walkthroughs to be found.

I'm very sorry to hear about your illness, I hope you're getting better. Zelda might not be a game for you if you prefer casual games on-the-go as the Zelda games are usually associated with long sessions of gameplay with lots of different game mechanics to consider. Ocarina of Time for the 3DS is probably the best handheld game I've ever played and that counts for a lot. It's not easy however and takes a decent amount of effort and dedication to finish.

Your question about the DS compatibility isn't stupid at all. It's a very common one and the answer is yes. I use Brain Training and More Brain Training with the 3DS and they both work fine. You don't get any 3D effects but that is obviously to be expected.

The 3DS will make your eyes hurt if you use the 3D effect for a prolonged time. Especially if you already feel tired (ie before you go to bed) and your eyes might be a little bit sore already. I have never tried Sight Training and I'm not very interested in that "game" either, seems to me it's a lot of tosh, for lack of a better word.

The good thing about the DS is the amount of puzzle games and there are a lot of them. I discovered a series called Connect. I haven't played those games but they have good reviews on Amazon, albeit some of them lack the comprehensive information I want, and might be worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jan 2012 19:01:50 GMT
Su says:
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but my monitor decided to go pop. I went out for one yesterday evening (we've had workmen both Monday and Tuesday so that was the first chance I had to get a new one), got it home "built" it, went to connect it up and discovered that the "universal" cable required an adaptor. I had to go today to get one, and finally we have a working monitor.

I'm thinking of upgrading my faithful old DS, but I wasn't sure whether to go for a DSXL or a 3DS. From what I understand the screens are about the same size so the 3DS is probably the better option since it will play all my existing games as well as any 3DS that might take my fancy to.

I might give Zelda a try, you tend to find you have nothing but time when you're ill and in hospital so something that can keep me occupied and keep my brain functioning is just what I'm looking for. I'm wondering if it's better to start with the earlier games, or to jump in the deep end and hope to swim/float.

I have a better consultant now - he's done more in a couple of months than the others did all together.

As for Sight Training, I can think of a lot of words for it but "tosh" is probably the politest one. The "games" are most a case of tap the target, where as Brain Training managed to mix things up, and I can't see how looking at the screen (at least 12 inches away for you).is helping improve my peripheral vision; or how tapping boxes as they appear will help my hand-eye coordination.

I haven't tried Connect, I have the first couple of Touchmaster games - the first one was ok, there were several games that I could play, the second one was a disaster for me - there's only one game that's really my kind of thing so far. I keep trying the other games just in case I might have missed something good, but so far I'm suck playing a variation of match3.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (38 customer reviews)

£24.99 £7.35