1.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one to AVOID. Why no track list Amazon?, 24 Feb. 2012
This review is from: 100 Shagadelic Sixties Classics (Audio CD)
What a farce! I could put together a better 60s compilation in my sleep! 0/10 to the company producing this CD.

Quite a few of the tracks on this turkey in fact date from the 1970s (e.g. "Highwire", "You'll Never Know What you're Missing" etc). Plus, at least a third of these tracks are not the "original tracks" by the original hit artists.

Worse than that, some of the tracks are not even the usual lame attempts to enhance our listening enjoyment (sic) by providing re-recordings of the original "using as many of the original artists as possible... blah blah". Listen to the Foundations tracks for example, they are light orchestral versions of the Foundations hits; "Build me up.." and "Baby, Now that I've Found you"! Whoever thought that would be a good idea?

Whoever put this compilation together was either totally incompetent, or they were trying to perpetrate a con. The totally untrue "original.." claim on the front artwork decides that question for me.

Overall, this is one to avoid and if you are unlucky enough to have been gulled into buying a copy, you should smash or shred it, without compunction.

Also, 0/10 to Amazon. Why? Amazon knows what tracks are on this CD because I originally found it via an Amazon search for the track "Soul Coaxin'" - which does indeed appear on this CD. This CD box set came up in the results. So, if Amazon knows what tracks are on here, why is there no track listing provided with the product? I had to go to the website of one of Amazon's competitors to see a track listing and hear previews. That's just plain sloppy, Amazon - and it's far from the first time I have seen this happen.

Alan T

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Sep 2013 12:29:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Sep 2013 12:32:19 BDT
Thank you Alan.

Your review saved me the bother of actually inserting the CD's into my player. I usually find with these sort of compilations that if the date of release of the tracks are not included (or the original label / catalogue number etc) then I become very suspicious. After noticing these omissions - I checked for a review on Amazon and hey presto.....

I presume this set was released to cash in on the Austin Powers films around 1999. As for the re-recordings - I suspect the tambourine player and a roadie are the only original members left on many of these horrid re-recordings - sadly they probably need the money.

I usually have a lot of time for Castle Communications / Pulse releases but definitely not this one. The Austin Powers soundtracks are superb though.

However - I picked this set up in a charity shop so I don't feel ripped off. I also got the Austin Powers s/trk's in the same shop a few weeks before.

So - its back to the charity shop with this set. Perhaps someone will get the benefit of this boxset. Maybe!!

N

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Sep 2013 18:57:01 BDT
AlanMusicMan says:
Hi and thanks for your comments.

Yes, Castle Communications were a very good label and their CDs always had original releases on them. Then in about 2002 something happened, I think the company sold out to one of the cowboy companies (Pegasus or Tring International) and any Castle release after that sort of time is likely to be a con job like this one. It's such a shame - and difficult to imagine anyone getting away with it in any other setting. Imagine buying a copy of Shakespeare's sonnets and finding they've all been re-written by a descendent - but not very well. This release is an outstanding example of the rubbish that goes around. I'm sorry you got suckered into buying it before you saw my review. You are within your rights to return it for a full refund - and I hope you do :-)

Best regards
Alan T.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

2.8 out of 5 stars (4 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist
Reviewer

AlanMusicMan
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Location: North Cornwall