4.0 out of 5 stars Good Hammer Horror boxset, 1 May 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Hammer Boxset [DVD] (DVD)
This boxset contains five of Hammer's "best" films. Basically, it is a scaled-down version of the Ultimate Hammer box-set, which I also own but I bought this because I am a completist. This set contains some classics of Hammer Horror and I have reviewed each of the contained films below :

The Nanny - Probably one of Bette Davis's finest films and with a superb performance from her. This is not really a horror film, I regard it more as a thriller with some small elements of horror. It is also one of Hammer's few films in the 1960s that were made in black and white. It is a very suspenseful film and one of Hammer's best. Four stars from me for this one.

Dracula Prince Of Darkness - One of the best Hammer Dracula films and the second to feature Christopher Lee. Sadly, there is no Peter Cushing this time. A very creepy film, even though the Count doesn't appear until about halfway into the film, so you will need patience. Philip Latham also has a key role as a very creepy butler. One of my favourite Hammer films. Four stars from me.

Quatermass And The Pit - This stars Andrew Keir and Barbara Shelley, who also appeared together in Dracula Prince Of Darkness. This is more of a sci-fi film than a horror film. It is also one of the few Hammer films that bores me, because not much happens at all, there is no real gore and I cannot understand why it is so highly regarded. I have never been keen on the other Quatermass films, either, so perhaps it is just me. Three stars from me.

Frankenstein Created Woman - Peter Cushing plays the Baron, again. This film was much better than the inferior Evil Of Frankenstein that came before it and it is directed by the legendary Terence Fisher, who directed most of the Hammer Frankenstein films. This time, the Baron tries his hand at transferring souls, instead of brains. I quite enjoy this film, even though it features very little action, but it is still entertaining enough. Susan Denberg also plays the only female Frankenstein's monster to date. Three stars from me.

The Devil Rides Out - This film was Hammer's first foray into Dennis Wheatley horror and it stars Christopher Lee, as a good guy this time. I think this is one of Hammer's finest films, with excellent acting all round and a superb script. This is not really a gothic horror, but I cannot really fault this film very much at all. Four stars from me. I would have given it five, but some of Hammer's early horrors were just that bit better.

So, there it is. A good boxset and excellent value for money. I can completely recommend this to other horror or Hammer fans, but I would recommend the more expensive Ultimate Hammer set for the true completists. Four stars from me. If it had contained the original Dracula, or The Curse Of Frankenstein or The Mummy, then I would have given it an extra star. Excellent stuff.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]