4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and no Brewer's droop, 5 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Licensed Tritton Trigger Headset (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
If you pop along to my recent review of another headset, you'll see what I mean. If you can't be bothered, then to summarise: I'm used to an old pair of super comfy Bose Quiet Comfort cans that are about 7 years old, but obviously they have no headset/mic feature.

These Tritton's are about 80% as comfy as my old Bose headphones. The ear pads are oval(ish) and fit comfortably over, not ON, my ears. The material is soft, but not textured, so I have to lift them off my ears every now and again for a fraction of a second to let some heat out, but are generally a pleasure to have on my head for hours at a time. I sometimes do the DJ thing of only having one can sitting on one ear, the other off so I can hear if anyone's trying to get my attention in another room. The good thing about these is that the cans swivel just far enough the 'wrong' way to sit comfortably on my head like this without it feeling like they're going to slide off. Also, the "grip" doesn't make my head feel as if it's in a cushioned vice.... But still stay where they're put.

Build quality appears to be good enough. Obviously you need to look after them as you would any other headphones of this type of design. The cans do swivel enough to fold flat, but they don't fold up in to a neat "ball" to pack away in a bag that easily, but this is no biggie as I hardly ever do that. And the mic is not removable as on others, but does swivel up out of the way.

Talking of the mic.... It's solid. It stays where you put it. It doesn't droop. You'd think this would be standard with any flexible arm, but nooooo..... Mates have said the voice quality is good and they can hear me clearly even if I'm talking quite quietly. There IS the white noise "hiss" others have mentioned on practically all the headset reviews for Tritton AND other manufacturers' headsets, but I believe this is due to amp gain design issues on the Xbox itself, not the headsets. Turning the chat volume down helps here. As does using the USB connectors on the back of the 'box.

I'm rating these 4* simply because the sound quality isn't as good as I'd hope. For the money it's fine, but, I dunno, it's just not that bassy for me, and seems either a tiny bit tinny or a bit.... flat... hollow... I don't know how to describe it... it's just not as nice to listen to as the other headset I tried, but you know, for less than £30 it's fine. I'm just picky and, yes, I want the world for less than £30... ;)

A note on audio adaptors which may apply to other manufacturers' headsets too: These Trittons come with a USB connector plus Left and Right pass through phono connectors. The way I've got my xbox setup to the TV is as follows: I've stripped the plastic casing off the standard Xbox component cable, which has a stupid extended bit that gets in the way of the HDMI socket. Stripping this off is probably not recommended, so don't blame me if anything goes wrong here, you do it at your own risk... But I can use any old HDMI cable to the TV rather than forking out for a 'proprietary' Xbox one... AND then use the red and white / right and left phono audio connectors off the component cable to plug into the TV as well (no sound over HDMI on xbox, right?) Sooo... Take the Tritton cable, plug the USB into the back of the xbox (to help minimise white noise / hiss on chat), plug the pass through audio connectors into the TV, plug Xbox component audio cables into pass through from the Trittons and Bob's your uncle.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]