2.0 out of 5 stars Good gameplay - bad everything else, 15 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 (PS3) (Video Game)
Every year Konami do this. They remove things from the game for no reason. If this game is purportedly made with fans in mind, why oh why is there no Community Mode? This is what makes PES, and to leave it out is obscene. Now we have 'Online Community' which means I can play against people in my own league..online. But what if I have real friends in the real world and we want to play in the same room? Can't we do that Konami? No. No you can't. Bizarrely, League Mode has also been removed. Why, who knows?

Master League. Why can't I turn auto-save off? Do they honestly not realise how frustrating this is? It takes an eternity to get from day-to-day nevermind through a pre season. And as if persistent loading & auto-saving & system data saving isn't bad enough we have to endure those dreadful cut-scenes as well...zzzzzz

Online mode, once again is miserably inadequate. In ranked match mode you can't create a lobby, invite people or check profiles out. Press X, it pits you against some random guy, and that's it, no backing out. I've had randoms with 150 ratings put against me despite me having a 450 rating. There's no option to see the other players profile until you've started the game either. Previously, you seen the other persons record, stats, last 5 teams etc before playing...now nothing. Basically there's absolutely no depth to it whatsoever; no lobbies, no visible leaderboards, nothing.

I experience lag probably 1 every 4 games (good by Konami's standards to be fair). But why, when I'm winning a match and an opponent disconnects, it sometimes goes down as a defeat for me? Even worse, a match is abandoned before KO due to a connection error and it goes down as a defeat! Grrr. I've also heard that outside the UK most people haven't even manage to get online yet. Poor stuff.

Why are half the Summer transfers not done? I just don't understand how a game released well after the transfer window isn't updated, or at least patched by now. It's now the 15th of October and I'm still waiting on the update. I spent half an hour downloading a patch today but it was for new boots!! I don't care about new boots, I want Steven Fletcher, get the transfers sorted, pronto!!!

I really don't like the game-plan screen, I find it depressing, the drag & drop, even the players stats in general. I know it's been like this style for a while now but it was better before. Clearer, tidier. And I hate the FIFA style Overall rating.

Despite everything I've written, I've really enjoyed the game. I've played 2 seasons of ML and about 50 matches online and it's the most fun I've had playing PES since it's PS2 days. I won't go into detail, but it's good, fluid, handles nice. AI is improved. The close control is good once you get to grips with it. And knuckle shots are great. It's just a shame they've made a mess of everything else. Overall the gameplay is a 4/5 but a lack of features and poor presentation lets this game down for me, big time.

****EDIT**** 18/10/2012
This just popped up. Your number of forfeit matches is increasing. Please note that if a certain percentage of matches are not concluded correctly you will be subject to penalties. Suspended from all online competitions, removal from all rankings and paired with users who have low ratings.

Punishments for people who disconnect? Fair enough Konami. I hate it when someone does that just because they're losing. But, I haven't intentionally disconnected anyone, not once. It's YOUR servers at fault here but you're punishing me! THIS IS BULL**** - GET IT FIXED.

[Add comment]