38 of 38 people found the following review helpful
Great variety of tips and techniques well explained,
This review is from: Fantasy Art Workshop: Mastering Digital Painting Techniques (Paperback)
Here's a great tutorial style book for those interested in digital painting. Fantasy Workshop is a compilation of tutorials that have been published in monthly ImagineFX issues. If you are already a regular subscriber, you'll see very similar tutorials in Fantasy Workshop.
The tutorials are split into three categories, namely Characters, Scenes & Stories and Manga. At the end is a short FXpose section, which like the magazine, features illustrations from individual artists.
The tutorials are presented in a step-by-step manner with plenty of screenshots and well explained captions. Each artist will talk about their workflow, tips, techniques and shortcuts to creating digital art. More specifically for example, they will talk about how they create realism through texture, and also why they created it that way.
Since the book is about mastering digital painting, you'll see tons of examples on how to recreate paint effects using software. By examples I mean they will show the digital tools used, menus, and settings. The software used are Painter and Photoshop but the art techniques are usually easily achievable in either software.
There are also a few pages where the artists answer fans' questions relating to creating art.
This is a recommended book for anyone into digital painting. There's enough variety featured for everyone to learn a new trick or two.
Here's the list of contents:
- Mind's Eye to Digital Canvas - Jehan Choo
- Modern Classical Painting - Marta Dahlig
- Paint Realistic Ears - Katerina Sokolova
- Paint Realistic Lips - Katerina Sokolova
- Digital Hairstyling - John Kearney
- Paint Realistic Hands - Marta Dahlig
- Create a Heroic Valkryie - Lorland Chan
- Drawing and Painting Dragons - James Strehle
- Create 3D Illustrations - Loic Zimmerman
- Painting a Mythical Beast - Joel Carlo
- An Army Summoned - Mike Corriero
- Create a LOTR-Inspired Orc - Jeff Murchie
- Quick Character Design Concept - Francis Tsai
- Painting Creepy Portraits - Mike Mitchell
- Speed Painting a Zombie - Patrick Reilly
- Painting a Nightmare - Cyril Van Der Haegen
- Create a Great Background - Melanie Delon
- 25 Custom Brush Tips - Patrick Reilly
- Dramatic Concept Art - David Levy
- Create a Dark Urban Nightmare - Lee Carter
- Manga Character Illustration - Michael Chomicki
- Create Fantasy Manga - Cris De Lara
- Fiery Dragon Princess - Svetlin Velinov
There are more pictures of the book on my blog. Just visit my Amazon profile for the link.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Mar 2009 15:04:28 GMT
many thanks for review,very helpful for an apprentice like me!
Posted on 24 May 2009 16:10:50 BDT
Voidy Fortuna says:
I need to stop following your reviews... I shall have a light pocket before the day is up!
Nice review again!
Posted on 29 Nov 2013 19:36:18 GMT
Nicolas Marcora says:
Allow me to thank you Parka for your amazing reviews; all the information you could wish for is there. The video browsing is specially helpful since most of us wish we could just give those books a quick glance to see if their inside calls to us like the cover did. After all, we all know better than to judge a book by its cover! Thanks again!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›