5.0 out of 5 stars It's quirky and it's fun, 19 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Rum Diary [DVD] (2011) (DVD)
I really don't understand why some people don't rate this movie at all. It takes all sorts, I suppose. For me, The Rum Diary is an often hilarious drama and something a bit different for Johnny Depp who plays the role of Paul Kemp, an American journalist who goes to work for a small and struggling newspaper in the America owned island of Puerto Rico during the 1960s. Kemp says, at the job interview, that his c.v. is as phoney as his stories. Over all, the newspaper staff seem to be a dysfunctional lot surviving on booze and drugs, red-eyed Kemp included as he swigs back the rum and tries to fit into the local hispanic scene with little success. But, it's hard to keep out of trouble when you go falling for a rich man's wife (Amber Heard), and a crooked rich man (Aaron Eckhart) at that.

I thought I would never say it but, in this, there are times that Johnny Depp is not a pretty sight. There is one scene in particular that had me rolling in the aisles, so to speak. When he and a colleague are in a small car together, a couple of gringos being chased by nasty Puerto Ricans. I laugh as I type, at the memory of it. If you check the trailer on YouTube, it shows a bit of it.

Kemp's accommodation is garbage but Puerto Rico looks fun. I went there in the 90s and it wasn't half as lively. I must have checked into the wrong hotel.

I'm not in the least surprised to find that I enjoyed this movie because it was directed by Bruce Robinson who directed the classic and hilarious British movie, 'Withnail & I' (1987) as well as *Still Crazy (1998).

The Rum Diary movie is based on the book by Hunter S. Thompson, available at Amazon.

* Error - My mistake and I have been corrected by GlynLuke: Bruce Robinson didn't direct Still Crazy he starred in it. Thanks, GlynLuke. :)

Love it or hate it, I guess.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 May 2012 16:54:28 BDT
Very helpful and well written, you have even got me looking up the other films to view. Thank you :0)

In reply to an earlier post on 31 May 2012 08:25:41 BDT
Valerie J. says:
Glad to be of help. Withnail & I is an absolute British classic. I reviewed that too, I think.

Posted on 9 Jun 2012 14:01:21 BDT
GlynLuke says:
He didn`t direct Still Crazy (a wonderful film) but was merely in it, as the reclusive Peter Green-like guitarist who appears near the end.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2012 07:30:13 BDT
Valerie J. says:
I stand corrected, GlynLuke. I shall amend my comment. :) Thank you for letting me know.

Posted on 31 Aug 2012 10:56:58 BDT
Lucy says:
I totally agree with your comment and also fail to understand why some people do not rate this film. The subtle one-liners have me crying with laugher and I pick up on more with each viewing. The `accusatory giblet' has to be my ultimate. Most definitely a film to chuckle too and enjoy the wonderfully crazy antics!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2012 16:37:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Aug 2012 16:38:56 BDT
Valerie J. says:
Thanks for your comment, Lucy, on my review. It's interesting how some people love a film that I think is awful, and vice versa. Variety is the spice of life, and all that. I was just reviewing Lake Placid on my personal movie blog (listed under my profile, I think) and I find it really funny but some hate it. That's how it goes, I suppose.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (66 customer reviews)

19.99 3.90