ARRAY(0xa0acbdbc)

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read for sure, 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: Fat Is A Feminist Issue (Paperback)
This is a book I have heard mentioned every now and then for many years and I have always wanted to know what the book was about. So when I saw a cheap used copy I couldn't resist buying it to find out.

I'm somewhat overweight and have many serious health problems, which contribute to my weight issues in a number of ways. I didn't expect to relate so much to the different reasons that I could be choosing to stay overweight, but after reading this book I now have no doubt that at least part of my inability to maintain a healthier weight is not physical.

I'm a feminist, of course. (I don't understand at all any woman who wouldn't want to be identified as a feminist, someone who supports equal rights for men and women, and who find the term cringe-worthy. It is only a terrible term if you believe all the anti-feminist and status quo supporting media and propaganda and so on, surely?) But I was surprised in reading this book how much of it really hit home with me, but how little any of it had to do with my gender or with feminism!

Not all the possible reasons for staying overweight had to do with feminism, as the title of this book may suggest. In fact, the vast majority of them did not. Some of the parts which did have to do with gender, such as mother-daughter competitiveness issues, I didn't relate to at all, possibly because they the book is very dated. (My mother has always worked and so doesn't envy my ability to work, for example.)

Some of the book is very dated, but it is easy enough to skip over those parts and to spend time contemplating the more timeless concepts. I'd very much recommend this book for men dealing with high or low weight issues, as well as women. It is a classic and you're sure to gain some real insight into your unconscious thoughts and actions by reading it.

This book provides lots of food for thought!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Sep 2012 17:45:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Sep 2012 18:10:39 BDT
Angeln says:
'Anti-feminist'? If there is an end to these self-serving lies let it be reached here, please God, as we enter the realm of the utterly preposterous. Why do leftists continually portray themselves as sad, excluded figures even though their agenda is the establishment's agenda and has been for decades? Yes that's right. You won. Conservatism sold out fully sixty years ago as a matter of fact. It only suits you to act as if the war still hangs in the balance in order to cast yourself in the role of victim. It is unhinged - literally a form of madness - to think we have an 'anti-feminist' establishment in a world where men can't get jobs, where women's confiscatory attitude to home, wealth and children is [irrespective of their own behaviour] enshrined in law, and where they are told they have a right to casually toss aside half-formed babies in the interests of careers they aren't even satisfied by. Unfortunately that's what rights cultures do you see. They sacrifice homogenous, stable societies in the interests of corporate internationalism - as they were intended to - by exploiting a simple human weakness: vanity. Fuelling women's resentment towards their biologically allotted role was and is just one battle in a wider strategic war calculated to turn each against the other until the only thing left to identify with are the brand names of soft drinks and cell phone manufacturers, so although I'd like to say I hope it makes you happy I can't because I assure you it won't. Natural living, an admirable objective in some ways, is also a curious one in as much as most people would think it includes things like children and some form of marriage. Advocates are almost always middle class females and utopian socialists, however, embittered and childless and trying to work through difficulties by pretending their emotional problems are really society's, so that we are bound to reduce the poor things to tears and make ourselves look like bullies in the process even by asking them to set an example. Perhaps it is enough for you to know that bankers and the assorted vested interests you rail against brought us to this. It is they who promote the 'human rights' and 'feminism' you support but, like so many, fail monumentally to understand. Why not put your obvious intelligence to better use? I enjoy your reviews and look forward to reading more. Just leave the political lectures alone in future.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.4 out of 5 stars (24 customer reviews)

9.99 6.99