5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Changing the Habits of a Lifetime For, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Daily Life in Victorian London : An Extraordinary Anthology (Victorian London Ebooks Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I do not own a Kindle. I do not like the idea of a Kindle. I am an ex-bookseller and am wedded firmly to print. However I am fascinated by London's history, especially Victorian history. My pockets are not deep but my appetite for acquisition is insatiable.

I do own an I-Phone which now has many useful London related apps on it. I also spend a lot of my life on public transport.

I wanted to get hold of this book for its contents. With no print version available I was thus forced to modernise or go without and I am glad that I chose to do the former. I can now "leaf" through this treasure trove of a book on the tube or bus. For less than the cost of a double espresso I now own this work - amazing!

The format works very well indeed for the phone as the text is in brief but fascinating sections, easy to put down at an interchange. I can't imagine reading it at home on a phone when I have so many unread "proper" books but out and about it is perfect, a genuine e-page flicker.

Should you ever release a nice cloth-bound version of "Daily Life in Victorian Britain" on quality paper, I will certainly buy that too and enjoy the same text at home, in time honoured fashion. Until then, thank you for showing me the merits of an alien technology.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 May 2011 15:55:23 BDT
Lynne says:
Buy a Kindle you will be amazed at how good the reading experience is, I was skeptical for a long time, read e-books on my iPhone, and refused to buy an e-reader. I finally bit the bullet late last year, I have not been disappointed. The screen is non reflective therefore it's a much better reading experience than on my phone, and I have (late at night) tried to turn a page - once absorbed into a book its easy to forget I am reading on a device. I have always been an avid reader I love printed editions of finely bound books I have more than a 1000 books from way back to my childhood. The Kindle however is a joy, not to replace beautiful books, rather to hold a vast number of books, texts & periodicals that I can have with me anywhere in the world. It is also replacing my paperbacks as I slowly download my favourites, then give the print versions to my local charity shop. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2011 16:30:41 BDT
Thanks Lynne you have convinced me! I am starting a new course in September that will require me to purchase a lot of London history books. I will get myself a Kindle by then and see how I get on!

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2011 16:52:43 BDT
Lynne says:
Great ! I don't think you will be disappointed. Good luck Peter with your course in the Autumn. Wish you many happy hours of summer reading :)

In reply to an earlier post on 26 May 2011 11:47:12 BDT
Tony Floyd says:
Lynne is right.

I got my Kindle as a present at Christmas. Once you have downloaded both old and new titles it is like having a portable bookshop and library always to hand. Of course you do have to download plenty of titles before you benefit from the library part, but it doesn't take long. For example I almost immediately added free or insanely cheap editions of Charles Dickens, Sherlock Holmes, Father Brown, Jane Austen, Dracula, Treasure Island, and so on, that is, longstanding favourites or classics I've never had time to read before plus contemporary favourites like Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, Crimson Petal and White, Stone's Fall, etc. I have since added over 100 paid for titles, but obviously only where the Kindle edition is cheaper than the print edition. I still read books of course - it doesn't come with a court order prohibiting you from doing that. Some people seem to regard the Kindle as an either/or thing. It is a supplement to, not a replacement for, actual printed real books. By definition I'd say that the Kindle is clearly for book-lovers, or perhaps I mean it's for readers rather than that type of 'book lover' who buy books as if they were just objects for placing ostentatiously on shelves or coffee tables and not for their content.

If you love books, you'll love the Kindle. It's a no-brainer. It doesn't mean you abandon and neglect your real books. One major reason being that it can't cope with colour so books with colour illustrations, books as aesthetic objects like say Judith Schalansky's Atlas of Remote Islands, or any large format art books and so on you wouldn't dream of getting on your Kindle, even if they were available.

There are also other downsides to Kindle books on occasion. Some titles are not formatted very well for it - David Thomson's Have You Seen and Biographical Dictionary of Film being two prime examples. So read reviews before you purchase. Some books are ridiculously over-priced - so as mentioned earlier, do a price comparison and buy the cheaper hard copy. And of course it's way too easy to click on that Buy button without feeling any financial pain at the time.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your Kindle when you finally get it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›