2.0 out of 5 stars Could have been brilliant but...., 15 Nov. 2012
I waited in anticipation for this projector and purchased it upon release with high hopes, on paper it ticked all the boxes however it hasn't lived up to my expectations.

On the plus side the 2300 lumens is certainly good, I can watch this during the day without having to close my blinds, the brightness is very good. The image on screen for non-HD content isn't great, up close shots are good but distance shots, such as you get when watching football, aren't great, it lacks clarity and seems a bit blurry, however HD content is extremely good regardless and I'm very pleased with that. The colours are deep and bright, a bit too much at first (you can change this of course as there are other settings) until you adapt and get used to it, but a definite plus. The black levels are great for anyone but an expert with a keen eye for such a thing, no complaints here from me. When you first switch the projector on the fans tend to go into overdrive then quickly settle down, the noise level is then very low which is excellent. You will hear the familiar clicking noises projectors make on some scene changes etc but only during a quite period in whatever it is you're watching but it isn't that distracting, so I'm very pleased indeed with the noise levels. The wireless feature works very well, the manual states that the wireless box must be facing the projector, I have mine to the side of the projector and it works fine, a very good piece of kit. Connecting to a PC worked well, for games I could read small text effortlessly which can be a problem for many projectors, but not this one.

On the down side the 2D to 3D conversion is pretty poor, I'm a laymen with this so I can't make a comparison with any other 2D to 3D conversion units, but still I'm unimpressed, it's a feature I gave a good go but won't be using again. I haven't tried the natural 3D feature yet so I can't express an opinion on that. The split screen feature doesn't always work, in fact I've yet to get it to work despite trying multiple output sources, the output from one source will always show up but the output from the other source won't. I've also found that when I connect my Blu-Ray player and my Freeview box using HDMI the Freeview box stops working and the picture being sent to the projector by my Blu-Ray player keeps cutting out although the sound stays on, I thought my Blu-Ray player may be faulty but no it's a problem with the projector, so despite the projector being able to connect two wired HDMI devices, and five when using wireless, I can't connect the two aforementioned devices at the same time! I've also noticed when disconnecting from the wireless transmitter I've had problems getting the projector to recognise this, I select either the HDMI1 or HDMI2 wired options but the projector insists on staying on the WirelessHD screen even when the wireless transmitter is unplugged, a real pain.

Now despite saying so many great things about this projector and only a few poor things I still only give it two stars. Why? Simple, the screen size is disappointing, the reason for buying a home projector is to bring the home cinema feeling into your home, so that means an extra big screen. To understand this my previous projector, located in the exact same place as this new projector, gave me a wonderful 120 inch screen size! I was promised by Epson before purchasing that I would get 120 inches, unfortunately I don't, I get 90 inches, yes it's still a big screen but losing 30 inches is a big step down and it's taking some getting used to, it's very disappointing indeed. Worse still when playing Blu-Rays or DVD's the screen size drops further still to around 70 inches, just ridiculous and inexcusable! Having spoken to Epson about this they claimed that the size of the screen was limited by that sent down the HDMI cables from the output sources, when I pointed out that I use exactly the same output sources with this projector as I did with my old one where I got a 120 inch screen size they changed their tune and said that it was down to the projector throw, so basically they gave me incorrect information regarding screen size prior to purchasing and it just loses so much impact because of it, I've lost the home cinema experience I once had, I'm genuinely very disappointed by this! There is an aspect button that gives you the options of Auto, Normal, Full, Zoom, and Wide but they do not work with HDMI which is pretty much everything I connect to, and so will most everyone else today! This aspect button only works when connecting to a PC, totally pointless! Also there is no option to view in 4:3 aspect. I would urge you not to accept the size range, which is too broad to be of use anyway, from the Epson website or from their staff with any value, you have to see this projector in operation before purchasing to make sure you're getting the screen size you want and expect, I didn't do this and I really regret it.

Due to the aforementioned screen size issues, and that the picture on screen for non-HD content isn't great, I would suggest considering other HD projectors if that's specifically what you're looking for, as opposed to a HD and 3D projector. Given what you get I do believe this projector is very overpriced, a more realistic price point would be around £800 to £1000 and there are many very good HD projectors within that range and cheaper, this projector simply isn't worth the huge extra for 3D and wireless ability, again I urge that you view before buying.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Nov 2012 12:16:41 GMT
Apps says:
Wow, I own a 6100 (not the wireless version) and an extremely impressed with everything it does!

The pictures, features and brightness are tremendous and the 2D to 3D conversion blows me away!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 01:08:56 GMT
TimeMuffin says:
Hey, whats the input lag like.

Not many reviews as of late.

Posted on 18 Nov 2012 17:24:01 GMT
For gaming there is an input lag that is a micro second, you'll notice it but it really is almost instant, of course that may be the difference between life and death for some online games!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Nov 2012 18:44:30 GMT
BF3 will be a no go I guess,

Still can't wait to see Prometheus in 3D for the first time ever!!:D

Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Nov 2012 20:19:26 GMT
Hi ,I've been waiting for the launch of the 6100 & w from Epson and was all ready to spend until I read Mr. O Sullivan's review . The idea of losing screen size to 70" when going via Hdmi is poor as is the poor picture for standard DVD . I also watch a lot of football and he also highlights the deficiency in picture quality here . However , you seem really impressed and I was hoping you can elaborate on your experience especially regarding the screen sizes? Thanks, Ian

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Nov 2012 11:23:03 GMT
Hi Ian, There are many elements of this projector that are impressive, the brightness, colours, and image quality (on HD channels) for example is excellent, for non-HD the picture quality is poor on distance shots but that was the same situation with my previous projector, I just expected more given the £1600 I paid for this projector compared to the £295 I paid for my previous one. Watching football on a HD channel is outstanding, it really is sharp and clear, you'll love it but you must find out what size of screen you're going to get as obviously that makes all the difference to the experience and a large screen size is the reason why you buy a projector. Recently I've been gaming on this projector via a PC and it's great. My disappointment is based on having a much smaller screen size than my previous projector, which, as stated, cost me only £295, and the very annoying problem of having no power over that screen size, which again on my previous cheap projector I had numerous options that enabled me to change the size of the screen to my hearts content. When you lose as much screen estate as I have you can't help but be disappointed, however if you've never had a projector before, and as such no point of comparison, then this projector will blow you away, your first projector always will.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Nov 2012 19:54:39 GMT
I've had a projector for 20 years and currently have a Sony which cost me £5k 8 years ago . Super at the time but outdated now compared to a 3d 6100. I just can't get my head around the screen size though , when you say you lose so much I can't understand , how or why ? Surely epson have considered this ? I guess I am searching for positives as I want to go out and replace my Sony but I don't want to lose the screen size . I expect a 100" on my screen but with widescreen it reduces top & bottom but you can zoom it to fill the screen but at a loss of quality . Does the 6100 not even give the option ? Thanks for any further advice ...

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2012 12:57:49 GMT
As stated in my review there is an aspect button which has several options including zoom BUT they do not work using an HDMI connection, the options are greyed out, they only work when connecting to a PC. I've been in contact with Epson about this as it's ridiculous, they keep giving me different excuses for it but each response has stated clearly that those options will not be available and claim, yet again, that the output source dictates screen size, you have no control over screen size other than the distance you place the projector from the screen and even then the picture size changes depending on what you're watching, this occurs automatically and even changes from one advertisement to another, it's nuts but true. I intend to keep this until the lamp goes and then sell it on ebay and get a better one, likely not Epson!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2012 20:42:42 GMT
TimeMuffin says:
I completely agree about this stupid design flaw. Luckily I had the opportunity to try one out in a demo room. What a shame because the image quality is very good.

Never had an Epson before but can they not just fix this through a firmware update?

Posted on 2 Dec 2012 23:16:07 GMT
Hello,
I am looking into a projector and I would like an HD ready but I don't want to spend more than 500 pounds, coulod you give me any advice on what to look for in a projector as I am totally new to home cinema system.
Thanks.