4.0 out of 5 stars Good film, even with the plot holes, 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Oblivion [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2013] (Blu-ray)
I watched this with no real expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Good acting, amazing visuals and a twisty plot make for one of the better sci-fi films I've seen in a while. The only problem is that when you start to think about it, it doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all. Spoilers follow.
I can forgive a lot of the holes quite easily but the main one, on which the entire story is centred, is why would the aliens create clones......and then try to trick them? What, it's easier to build over 50 flying houses and a bunch of other cool contraptions to fool clones you created, (and who have memories you gave them!) than it is to just build some spare killer robots? Beech even said that there were thousands of soulless clones originally so why not just make these ones kill people like the others? Why the deception, on which the whole thing is based?!
Once you start picking at it like this, it's very difficult to stop much in the same way as with the good but flawed 'Prometheus'. Why did Cruise's character show no surprise to learn there were a load of other humans left on earth, but he was surprised that aliens were sending a signal off the planet? How did Beech know the line of the book he'd read? I could go on.
Despite all this I've given it 4 stars because it is a really enjoyable film and certainly one of the better Hollywood attempts at serious sci-fi. I may even watch it again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 19 Aug 2013 10:54:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Aug 2013 10:55:27 BDT
Firstly, your review contains spoilers...and so does my reply.

I've yet to see the film since the cinema, but from memory the cloning is not 'perfect' and the aliens know this (and also they aren't perfect !).

After all clone #1 has latent memories and even sets up a secret haven with memorabilia of a past human life (which the aliens don't know about).

This explains why clone #2 knows where the haven is after some effort to remember...

This also explains why each clone is segregated, to avoid memory 'infection' amongst other reasons such as the potential for problems due to humans still being around.

If you follow that reasoning then I think it answers your other queries as well....

Finally, mechanical robots are not as versatile as humans to do the task in hand (an example being that they 'lose' each confrontation); they probably require more effort to produce anyway !

I think plot holes are errors, not deficiencies in reasoning or behaviour....

If there was a perfect, logical answer and solution to everything and behaviour was always perfect then almost no books or films could be written or made - this is fiction after all, but reality is regularly 'illogical' as well, so everything you mention are hardly 'plot holes'.....

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2013 18:47:29 BDT
Andy Barnard says:
Mmm. Fair comment, but none of this explains Beech's statement that 'thousands of soulless clones arrived, killing everybody'. Or something to that effect. This undermines everything, as if the aliens can wipe the clones memory enough to make them kill people then surely it would be easier to just leave a bunch there to finish the job.
'Live in this shed, fix robots, kill humans'.
Why the elaborate deception with the houses? If the cloning isn't perfect, then grow some more. They've clearly got plenty.
I can get behind the whole memory thing but if the clones can be made to go against their nature to the extent that they become murderers, why do they suddenly have to be pandered to to this degree?

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2013 18:57:42 BDT
I'll have to defer any more thoughts on this as my memory isn't good enough from me seeing the film several months ago !

I do remember being pleasantly surprised by the film (despite a lot of production and music similarities to past films) - especially after a lot of bad reviews.

[I think the film will get growing popularity as more watch it at home now it is on disc...]

As the Blu-ray price (this film has to be seen and heard in HD) is still exorbitant I can't see me being able to re-watch for some time !!!

Having said that, we might have to agree to disagree as I see you (like many) had misgivings about 'Prometheus', whereas I gave it a glowing (minority) review on Amazon !

It might be that the cinematic beauty of both these films distracted me from spotting inconsistencies in the plot, but I never got any impression of that with either....

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Aug 2013 19:47:24 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Aug 2013 06:19:37 BDT
Andy Barnard says:
Fair enough. I really enjoyed Prometheus too, even though I still can't work out why all the aliens were running INTO the room where the bioweapon gloop canisters were rather than away from it. And where they all then went?
Don't get me started.
Nice talking to you.

Posted on 4 Jan 2014 03:12:32 GMT
I agree with you to a certain extent about the plot holes, but where do you stop. Most of the best sci fi films have these to a greater or lesser degree. You just have to gloss over them or you wouldn't really enjoy most of the films you watch (and that includes non scifi)

Posted on 9 Feb 2014 02:22:10 GMT
Shivari says:
Any kind of fiction requires us to engage in the suspension of disbelief. Or, as Tolkien argued in his essay "On Fairy-Stories", to develop 'secondary belief' in the world being presented. Sometimes, plot holes just punch through our sense of the believability of the fiction, and sometimes they don't. And it may punch through mine, but not yours. The more skilled the writer, the more people he will convince...

I love sci-fi blockbusters - but I'm afraid I didn't believe in the world of Oblivion. I disengaged and just watched it to the end thinking "This is silly." But that's just me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (467 customer reviews)

26.99 7.91