ARRAY(0xab186a44)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but what if it doesn't work?, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Philips HF3480 Wake-up Light (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On the box, it states that 80% of users find this wake up light gives a "more pleasant way to wake up." I guess I'm in the other 20% then. Every morning, I've set the alarm (using the radio as my wake up call) and every morning, I've woken with a jump when the radio comes on and find myself staring at a horrible bright light. So basically just the same as when I used my mobile for an alarm clock, except I didn't have a piercing light shining in my eyes. However, Philips do acknowledge that it doesn't work for everyone, and that's fair enough in my view. I just happen to be one of those people who doesn't find it effective.

I do actually quite like the design though, and it can be used as a bed side light, so having this with a combined radio is actually quite handy. I also use it as a conventional alarm clock, so that's quite good as well. However, there are still a number of features that annoy me about this wake up light.

Firstly, the dials which are used to adjust the radio station and the clock, in my opinion, turn the wrong way! If you want to advance the alarm clock or radio station, my instinct is to turn the dial clockwise. But oh no, this is different! These dials go in the opposite direction! It's a minor point, but it's just one of those little things that could so easily have been corrected at the design stage.

Secondly, the radio gives a hiss before actually tuning into the station. So I actually tend to be woken by a long blast of interference, before hearing some music from the radio. Many other radios don't have this problem, so why does this? Surely the radio could just be silent while trying to tune into the station?

Another minor annoyance is that the bulb flickers while going through the dimming cycle. I know this is what we've come to expect from energy saving bulbs, but for anyone who suffers from headaches from this, the flickering is quite pronounced. I don't personally suffer from it, but it can be annoying all the same.

My final grievance, for now, is actually the one that annoys me the most. The lamp is non-replaceable. Who's idea was that? All bulbs fail, some sooner rather than later. So when the bulb does fail, you're left with a very expensive alarm clock and no light. Philips say this is for safety reasons, but I reckon it is all about profit. If the bulbs fail, you have to buy a new wake up light. After all, some of the lights in the same range have user replaceable bulbs, so how can it be safe to replace those, but not the one in this?

This wake up light could have been so much better if the little things mentioned above had been considered and corrected. Even though it doesn't work for me, I'm willing to accept that there may be plenty of people who do find it useful. However, until Philips sort out the problems with it, I'd be very hesitant about buying this particular model.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Nov 2010 16:28:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jan 2012 06:33:26 GMT
Zoe King says:
Thanks for your review. I tried to buy one of these the other day through the Black Friday programme but wasn't 'successful'. However, having read your review, I'm having second thoughts anyway. I've had a couple of Lumie lamps for about 10 years, which have been brilliant, but they're beginning to show their age - the electronics are failing, plus I've always thought they could be improved by the addition of a radio. This Philips seemed like the ideal solution, but maybe not.

Thanks again.

Z

Posted on 25 Nov 2010 17:22:08 GMT
kim says:
Excellent review. I was considering buying this - I am epileptic and not too keen on flickering light !!
Thanks for the info.

Posted on 26 Nov 2010 14:40:05 GMT
MarkJBL says:
Thanks for this review, I was tempted to buy this but the non replaceable bulb has put me off, ok there will be a 12 month warranty but I bet if it does fail it will be just after that!!

Posted on 30 Nov 2010 20:57:58 GMT
Haha oh my goodness. So you were actually woken up by a blast of white noise and a bright "piercing" light! I can't help but giggle that you can pay 63 for that experience. I think that given the price, I will probably defer the idea of buying this.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2010 23:01:50 GMT
Q says:
The spec says 6000 hour life from the bulb - assume you use it 2 hours a day that's nearly 10 years - not great by not distastrous (although irritating just the same, especially when yours is the one that pops after 3 years)

Posted on 31 Dec 2010 01:25:01 GMT
Rae says:
Thanks for the advice. Appreciated the information especially about the bulbs and I shall give it a miss.

Posted on 1 Jan 2011 08:57:40 GMT
Personally, i would take ur lamp back and get another sound's like you got a bad one. It has put me off buying one.

Posted on 2 Jan 2011 23:18:10 GMT
meddlesom says:
Thanks for this I nearly brought it for my daughter who suffers from s.a.d but the fact that the bullb is non replacable is a definate no go, very surpriced with a lamp of this price !!!

Posted on 3 Jan 2011 16:46:58 GMT
C. Belson says:
I have one of these lights and I found it took a little while to get the light to the right level. I find setting it at 15 tends to wake me up just before the alarm goes off. Perhaps you don't have yours set to the right light level for you? Or maybe the position you have it in isn't right? Or as you say, maybe light just doesn't wake you up. At least you know that now!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2011 23:42:04 GMT
McStick says:
I have it set at it's highest level, but still no joy with it waking me. But then, I do sleep through even the worst thunder storms, so it's probably no surprise light doesn't wake me up!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (164 customer reviews)

130.00 100.00