5.0 out of 5 stars A spectacular conclusion to arguably the best medical drama in television history, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: House - Season 8 [DVD] (DVD)
With Cuddy gone and House incarcerated only to stir up more trouble with the inmates whilst working a case which leads to him being thrown in solitary in the first episode, onto the unrealistic 2nd episode where obviously House is freed from prison in a bit of a silly fashion to be supervised by none other than the skeptical Dr. Foreman. We here learn that Cuddy has left Princeton Plainsborough almost immediately after House rammed his car into her house in the conclusion to the previous season. Cuddy has never been an important character to me in the show, except in situations when she was required, and as an adversary to houses rule breaking when needed. So she isn't missed that much for me in this final season. This season has some wonderful stories and is mostly made up of stand alone episodes as opposed to multi-episode arcs like normal. We have some very important character development in this season and it doesn't feel rushed or contrived. House has always been over the top in character and storyline, not to mention all these MEGA rare conditions occuring under the one small roof of this one hospital, so people are a bit silly to complain about one unrealistic thing such as the slick, hilarious and utterly over-the-top ending of Season 7.

As we approach the twillight episodes we are confronted with many possibilities of a finale. The finale chosen is just... utterly compelling, and with many memorable moments and a fantastic bonding of two characters. The final episode is emotionally stunning, and as we montage over the lives of all the characters with the wonderful "Warren Zevons' - Keep me in your heart for a while", you will be crying like a baby unless your heart is black and you feel nothing... or are on vicodin haha. And we finish up with a nice tied up ending, leaving nothing to be answered (at least that I can think of) and for a show of its type, has got to be one of... if not THE best ending to a television season I have ever sat and watched. Hugh Laurie and the rest of the cast have kept this whole thing running from start to finish... Especially the chemistry between Robert Sean Leonards' Wilson and the sexual tension between House and Cameron in the earlier seasons (with occasional "will they or won't they moments afterwards"). But lets face it... Hugh made you want to watch it because his character was just so unique and free spirited.

All in all... I'm very satisfied with its ending, but very sad to see it go. Bring on more shows like this Mr. David Shore and crew. And Hugh Laurie... You are a legend dude... ME and EVERYONE reading this want more of you, we want more of your amazing character on the big screen or the small...

Farewell "House M.D"

Written by Will Burnett (wburnett@hotmail.com)

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Dec 2012 15:43:24 GMT
Rutwij says:
"with Cuddy gone" as the first line... spoiler alert (for season 7) would have been in order. No thank you for spoiling a major twist for season 7 for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Dec 2012 15:57:26 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 8 Dec 2012 08:52:35 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Dec 2012 00:09:55 GMT
D Cullen says:
You are reading a review about season 8 before watching 7, you could hardly complain that there is a spoiler in there considering he has to explain what he thought about certain parts of the storyline it in order to review it.

Posted on 15 Jan 2013 17:00:28 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jan 2013 17:03:51 GMT
F. T. J. Pas says:
I loved House, really, but recently I've been watching old E.R. seasons, that makes me think that my best medical drama show award would go to that one.
Also, I wasn't really impressed with the theatrical aspects of the last episode. Nowadays it just feels a bit boring, when dead characters show up to tell not very interesting things. I think that has been done to the point of losing me instantly as a viewer.

Posted on 15 Jan 2013 19:18:10 GMT
I've never had the pleasure of watching E.R, and it actually came into my head when I decided to say "Arguably" the best... I'd love to sit and watch ER though and thanks for the recommendation :)

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 19:47:00 GMT
Last edited by the author on 15 Jan 2013 19:48:06 GMT
F. T. J. Pas says:
You won't regret it. I am only familiar with the first 10 or 11 seasons, and plan to watch the rest also, now that I'm into it again. It won several Emmy awards, and it has a constant quality throughout the first 10 seasons for sure.
Also, it's great to see that George Clooney was obviously going to be the great actor/director/movie star he has become.
A word of warning though. It seems obvious to buy the complete 15-season set. But, as you can read in numerous customer reviews, the dual-sided, dual layered dvd's (dvd-18's) can be faulty and sometimes refuse to play. I had two occasions where that happened. So I'm glad I bought them seperately, it saved me from a lot of hassle for going beyond the point of refund, cause I can't watch so many seasons in one month. Individual prices are quite low luckily. So stick to that. Have fun, you will be moved.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Jan 2013 20:12:24 GMT
Thank you so much for the tip :) Its very much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 06:05:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2013 06:06:16 BDT
L. Miles says:
I understand what you're saying, D Cullen, but like me, many people will be looking to buy the next series when they're getting towards the end of the previous series, not after they've finished it, so I think Rutwij has a point. I'd have liked to know a lot less detail and more general opinion than was given in this review, clear and thorough though it is.

Posted on 31 Mar 2014 16:20:41 BDT
MCC says:
This review is placed under the wrong dvd; it appears as a review of In Plain Sight Series 1.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2014 06:04:12 BDT
That is a common occurance on here. Annoying as it is, there isn't anything I know to do about it. Also annoying is how Blu-Ray and DVD reviews are in the same section... but consider the amount of products on here, and imagine how hard it must be to create a truly efficient way of keeping reviews compartmentalised.

Will