Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now

5.0 out of 5 stars Do you want the truth Kemosabe?, 12 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Lone Ranger [DVD] (DVD)
"Do you want the truth Kemosabe?"
"I seek Justice Tonto and Justice can only be found when the truth is known."
These are not lines from the film but my own. I write them because despite the myriad of reviews about this film I fear the truth has not been told, and without the truth true justice cannot be given to the film. I hope, with the reader's indulgence I can provide the truth. Of course my comments will be subjective, but I will be honest in explanation of from where they come .
First and foremost I am a film fan. I have been for 50 years since the time my father allowed me to accompany him to the projection room at a small town cinema in Wales where he worked as a projectionist. I am also a massive fan of the Lone Ranger. I remember watching him on Saturday afternoons in my grandmother's house. I was taken in by his steadfast morality and bravery. He taught me many lessons on what was right and wrong and challenged me to take the path of good in my childhood and adolescence. So I write both as a film fan and a fan of the Lone Ranger.
Since over 25 years ago, when it was reported in the Daily Mirror that a new Lone Ranger film was going to be made and directed by John Landis (what happened to that project?) I have been waiting for the Lone Ranger to hit the big screen. Another production, The Legend of the Lone Ranger starring Klinton Spilsbury was made., Despite criticism from many, this movie portrayed the legend well, but overall it was not a superb film.
I was overjoyed when this new movie starring Armie Hammer as the Ranger eventually came to fruition but was so dismayed with the poor critical reviews which seem obviously the reason why the film flopped in the USA. I feel somewhat dismayed that the public were unable to make their own mind up instead of relying on faceless biased reviews.
If you haven't seen the film (or even if you have) GET IT WHEN RELEASED ON DVD
I am spelling it out because so many of the critiques have been written in such a negative fashion from the outset. There was so much dissent that by the time something vaguely positive was mentioned, I guess most readers would have given up.
One of the criticisms is that the film at two and a half hours duration is far too long. I disagree. Are the critics suggesting that the attention span of the film goer is so short that they would not last the duration of the film? The pace of the movie is such that when it ended I was barely aware that 147 minutes had passed. Do the critics think that film audience are so limited in intelligence that we can only pay attention for an hour and a half? The Lone Ranger is not too long. You will be thrilled. You will be engrossed. The story telling is engaging, the photography is excellent and the soundtrack superb.
Critics are eager to point out that there is much violence in the film. This censure alone may be enough to put off parents allowing their children to see it. There is a lot of shooting (what classic western doesn't have that?) but there is very little blood. Much of the violence is by implication and is not graphic. Even the much derided cannibal scene is tastefully handled (no pun intended). The action is covert - enough to indicate the horrific act to the adult viewer but not so overt to make it clear to the younger audience. The film illustrates the violent times of the Wild West as it is an inherent part of the story and to does it in a way that allows the film to be suitable to be seen by the whole family.
The Lone Ranger film has been has been judged as a movie that clumsily attempts to incorporate too many styles in an effort to satisfy many expectations, and in an endeavour to do so provided an untidy mishmash of unfocussed storytelling. See the DVD for yourself, immerse yourself in it and it is my guess that you will not agree. The very difficult task of producing a film to satisfy a family audience has been successfully achieved with a capable balance of humour, heroism, relationships, honour, morality and downright excitement. The film does not lose its way. It show a violent and corrupt time in early American history and uses humour to lighten the tone. It does this competently.
One of the most annoying criticisms I have read is that the film includes too many scenes/ideas copied from other classic westerns. What of the phrase - Imitation is the best form of flattery? References are made to previously released westerns , even Soldier Blue ,( the critics missed that one), but this re-use of ideas is surely a great tribute to a great genre, and I guess many were done tongue in cheek. What must be remembered too is that the Lone Ranger was originally a show for children. By incorporating ideas from these classic westerns it helps bring the character into the adult world.
If you have no preconceptions of the Lone Ranger, or you are not of my age and a great fan from the 50s and 60s you will be totally taken in by this film and will be thoroughly entertained. As a film with the intention to entertain the whole family I award it 5 stars out of 5.
To the reader, thank you for your indulgence so far. I would like to end by offering my opinion of the film from the perspective of a childhood fan of the title character and also to offer a very personal view of why the film was berated so much by the critics. I believe that Johnny Depp's apparent arrogance towards the title's character in the planning stage and production alienated him from the critics. Rightly he wanted to portray Tonto in a more intelligent respectful way than Native American Indians were customarily played in earlier western movies. His desire to do this was marred by his lack of respect for the character of the Lone Ranger. If what I have read is correct, in the planning stage it appears that he even considered the Lone Ranger as somewhat of a fool with Tonto being the superior individual. (Some evidence of this is in the film). This is not equality. The Lone Ranger Creed declares, " That all men are created equal and that everyone has within himself the power to make this a better world."
When I learned that a new Lone Ranger film was being considered I wanted to see a Lone Ranger and Tonto film, not a Johnny Depp star vehicle in which he plays a character called Tonto in a film called the Lone Ranger. Throughout the planning and production all the hype seemed to be about Depp and not the Lone Ranger. Some critics, may have been disappointed by Depp's lack of reverence to this legendry hero whilst giving excessive attention given to his own self importance.
Another reason for the poor reviews was in my opinion the uninteresting early previews of the film. Trailers 3 and 4 however did get my attention and as I began to learn more about its production I decided that the film certainly deserved a viewing.
Despite my earlier comments on Mr. Depp I am very pleased to concede that his acting was excellent. Comic timing was superb and soon into the film I began to believe that he was Tonto. Even his unusual headgear soon integrated into his character and became unobtrusive. The reason for it is explained in the film.
Armie Hammer does a reasonable job playing the Ranger and I would be happy seeing him, more maturely taking on the role again. He is tall and handsome but his looks seem too boyish and he does not command the screen presence the Ranger needs. There was something about his characterization that was missing - an earnestness perhaps? We all need a hero in our lives. The Lone Ranger is mine, but sadly Armie Hammer's portrayal does not quite live up to my expectations.
Most of the Lone Ranger's trademarks feature in the movie - the silver bullets, black mask, white hat and the magnificent horse Silver. Even Tonto's horse Scout makes an appearance but not until the very end of the film. The Ranger's revised clothing works and after a while I stopped mourning the absence of the blue shirt and trousers synonymous with the Ranger of the comic books and small screen.
If you are a Lone Ranger fan and you watch the DVD expecting to see the character of previous films and television you may be disappointed. If you maintain an open mind and allow yourself to absorb this new interpretation you will be entertained and satisfied. As the film reaches its climax and the Lone Ranger appears on his fiery horse in a cloud of dust (smoke more accurately in this film) to the rousing sound of the William Tell Overture I guarantee that you will be transported back to those thrilling days of yesteryear. With a hearty cry of Hi-Yo Silver the Lone Ranger rides again.
I award 4 stars out of 5 for this interpretation.
Help save the Lone Ranger. Buy this DVD.
Endnote: At the very end of the film the question is asked - Did the Lone Ranger really exist? I know the answer and I know his identity. He was of course........Clayton Moore.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Oct 2013 19:13:44 BDT
Ghostgrey51 says:
Thanks for your time and effort of this review. I always value a good intelligent Amazon review over a professional critic's any day of the week.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Oct 2013 12:33:28 BDT
Kemosabe says:
Thank you for your comment. I hope you enjoy the film as much as I did.

Posted on 18 Oct 2013 14:51:57 BDT
M. Mason says:
I rarely pay attention to what film critics say. They are jaded by having to watch everything that's made, so only the latest art house clap trap will do for them. That way they can convince themselves they're intellectuals.

Posted on 20 Oct 2013 13:09:02 BDT
celticlass says:
Thank you to this reviewer. I agree film makers these days seem to think all audiences are half-wits and morons. I to was a Lone ranger fan and blissfully remember being sat in front of the TV with a bags of jelly babies to watch my hero. Because of the reviews I did not go to the cinema to watch the film now having read this review I am sending for the DVD and have my bag of jelly babies ready. Thank you.

Posted on 30 Oct 2013 08:26:48 GMT
bond says:
Spot on! Really enjoyed the film. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, so do the critics.

Posted on 14 Nov 2013 22:44:19 GMT
Glenn Cook says:
A great review that has convinced me to try out this film on DVD.

Posted on 20 Jun 2014 08:08:02 BDT
Thank you for this great review I will happily buy this DVD. As a child, I loved the tv series The Lone Ranger and spent many a happy hour pretending to be him, galloping around on my imaginary horse Silver. "Who was that masked stranger?" I agree with you, the real Lone Ranger IS Clayton Moore.

Posted on 22 Feb 2015 10:26:09 GMT
Clevereye says:
I fully agree; it's a splendid movie which Americans may take to heart.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›