5.0 out of 5 stars cracked it, 31 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic (Two-Disc Edition) [DVD] (DVD)
I sat down with a large degree of tepidation when this appeared on Sky but they cracked it, it was great and I think I know why.

I hated its forerunner "Hogfather". Hogfather had been one of my favourite books, and I could quote large sections of it, and I believe that this intimate knowledge of the book was the reason that acted version of it failed in my eyes (that and incredibly bad casting).

However, the Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic weren't anywhere near my favourite books, in fact they are the ones that I had read the least. And I think that this is the reason I enjoyed the films - because I was not as familiar with the detail of these two stories I found that I wasn't able to say, in a frustrated tone, "why did they alter that?", etc.

One problem I thought I was going to have was with the casting of David Jason (Frost, Dangermouse, Mr Toad, etc) as Rincewind. Yet Mr Jason so easily became the Rincewind that I had pictured in my mind. His depiction was, in my opinion, wonderful, and this only goes to prove that you need to cast fans of the books in important roles, or at least someone who has had the intellegence to read the relevant books before he takes to the screen. Take note Marc Warren - who after portraying Mr Teatime so badly in Hogfather film, admitted in a Sky interview that he had never read a Pratchett book, had no intention of reading one, and based the character of Mr Teatime on a completely unrelated character played by Johnny Depp in another unrelated film - rather than picking up a book and reading it to see what the character was about and creating his own characterisation. It seems that this is not uncommon with Mr Warren as he appears to base all of the characters he plays on work that others have done).

Mr Jason, according to an interview, had first suggested that Colour of Magic be made into a film 20 years ago, and admitted that he's a long standing discworld fan. His protrayal of Rincewince was book perfect for me.

The first episode was based on the book The Colour of Magic and the second on The Light Fantastic, and I have to say that I truly hope that they make more Rincewind film.

I was so ready to critise the way it was done, the acting, the choice of David Jason for Rincewind, but I can't - it was an outstanding production, a true Christmas surprise, that made me want to read the books again. Well done to all concerned, it was a pleasure to watch.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines ">here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 1 Sep 2008 19:17:38 BDT
Sam says:
I have to say a HUGE thanks for your comment. I don't have sky, don't like to pay to watch the same thing over and over and over, but it does mean I miss the rare stunner like Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic. SO, even tho I would of bought the DVD ANYWAY as I am a sucker for all things Pratchett (I do infact have the T-Shirt, and a sweat-shirt come to that) this leaves me with a clearer conscience about buying it unseen. Agree TOTALY with Marc what-his-chops protrayal of Mr T-Time, how bad was it because of him????

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2008 11:58:16 BDT
Su says:
Thank you for your comments, I appreciate the feedback. I to am Pratchett obsessed - right down to a model of a particular camel ;)

Marc "I can't create a character of my own" Warren appears to be just a bad actor, every interview it's 'I based my character on what so-and-so did in that film'. The whole point of acting is that you create the character your way and not copy what someone else has done.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2008 12:32:34 BDT
Hmm not a bad review as they go, however I only have one comment to say though as I don't know what you sat down to watch at christmas but it ceratinly wasn't The Colour Magic. The Colour of Magic was broadcast on Sky One, and in High Definition on Sky One HD, on Easter Sunday (March 23) and March 24, 2008. So what you watched at christmas I have no idea??????

Sorry

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2008 19:42:15 BDT
Su says:
my apologies, I was probably thinking of the dreadful Hogfather that had been broadcast the Christmas of 2006

Posted on 20 Sep 2008 10:35:48 BDT
discmythnut says:
I was dying to see this and I got my wish. David Jason was a bit old but he was the Rincewind I hoped for. Cynical, incompetent, cowardly and headstrong. Amazing. I want this and I want it, NOW!!!

Posted on 25 Sep 2008 22:13:27 BDT
discmythnut says:
Also, I think that David's pose is completely random and I don't know where it came from but it hardly suits the character. Then again, what must you expect?
Eric Thursley will be baffled when he sees this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›